That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

If it’s based on stadium & facilities theirs is better than 2 near neighbours.

But I can hear the war drums,prepare to duck.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What's best for SL and RL? International European city with population of 1m, or small yorkshire town with population 15k? There's obviously huge potential for the game in France, we need to build on it.

1 minute ago, bratman said:

What's best for SL and RL? International European city with population of 1m, or small yorkshire town with population 15k? There's obviously huge potential for the game in France, we need to build on it.

France needs to build on it you mean 🙂

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Snob

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What is the population of Saracens? 

Featherstone have historically pulled in fans from a wide region. I grew up watching Featherstone and lived half an hour away. 

5 minutes ago, DEANO said:

If Toulouse don’t win next week they don’t deserve to be in super league 

I agree, despite going unbeaten all year and finishing top of the table, that is not how promotion is decided. But the question is if Featherstone do win are they guaranteed promotion or do they have to prove they meet certain criteria first?

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What is the population of Saracens? 

Featherstone have historically pulled in fans from a wide region. I grew up watching Featherstone and lived half an hour away. 

Saracens are based in London which I believe has a population of about 9,000,000.

Ok you can say Featherstone is a part of Wakefield, as is Castleford. Is the Wakefield region really strong enough to support 3 Super League clubs and is it good for the game in general (I’m thinking negotiating tv deals and sponsorship etc) to have 3 clubs, that’s 1/4 of the league, based in one small little known geographical area?

The game at the top should technically have grown way beyond Featherstone many years ago. However, it failed to drive up standards and income and also expand its footprint.

It is not Featherstone's fault the game has failed to capitalise and is now contracting. They are playing to the current rules and standards which are flakey to say the least.

I really want Toulouse to be in SL. Under current rules they have to win promotion and beat Fev.

Fev have to beat Toulouse - thems are the rules for 2021.

It is not Featherstone's fault the game hasn't got the ##### to fast track Toulouse into SL as a long term investment in growth.

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I really want Toulouse to be in SL. Under current rules they have to win promotion and beat Fev.

It is not Featherstone's fault the game hasn't got the ##### to fast track Toulouse into SL as a long term investment in growth.

Why hasn’t it. After all they did with Paris Catalan Newcastle Widnes and London 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I don't believe population of the place you're named after is part of any criteria, nor do I believe it ever has been.

It really is a strange premise. Clubs do not attract support exclusively from one area marked by that boundary, nor do they have exclusive rights to support from that said area. When people used to compare the "percentage of support" of Castleford Vs London, it really was ridiculous.

Support can come from a huge radius away from the central location, but the further you get out, the less support you are likely to attract; that's why clubs in more densely-populated areas tend to attract more (as well as facilities). So people really think Wigan, Saints and Warrington attract people exclusively from those towns?

Do Aston Villa and West Brom attract people exclusively from those areas? Did it bother the Premier League that they had those names?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Nobody’s suggested the unbeaten table toppers Toulouse should be fast tracked into Super League. The only 2 clubs I’m aware of the be gifted a place in Super League are Leigh and Catalans. 

Under the rules whoever wins the Grand Final will have earned promotion, but Is it certain Featherstone will be promoted? Other clubs, I believe Keighley and Hunslet have been denied promotion to Super League previously so there is a precedent.

20 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Saracens are based in London which I believe has a population of about 9,000,000.

Ok you can say Featherstone is a part of Wakefield, as is Castleford. Is the Wakefield region really strong enough to support 3 Super League clubs and is it good for the game in general (I’m thinking negotiating tv deals and sponsorship etc) to have 3 clubs, that’s 1/4 of the league, based in one small little known geographical area?

You really are a comedian. A little known geographical area ? It's an area that has given the game some of the greatest talent to grace the pitch, and still does. If Fev do win the Grand final as far as I know there's no criteria to fulfil. We'll have to see what happens next Sunday and may the best team win.

I

16 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Easy either way with whoever gets promoted,  but it wouldn't half be funny to see the meltdown on here if next year a quarter of the SL clubs have a WF postcode!

We have had 3 clubs in SL previously who all share the same postcode.

WA was common a few years ago.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The game at the top should technically have grown way beyond Featherstone many years ago. However, it failed to drive up standards and income and also expand its footprint.

It is not Featherstone's fault the game has failed to capitalise and is now contracting. They are playing to the current rules and standards which are flakey to say the least.

This is the problem we have. The game has not produced clubs that can take advantage of bigger areas of support that isn't competing with the support of other local clubs. If you wanted to get into SL, your best bet would be to start in West Yorkshire or central (old) Lancashire even though there are already tonnes of clubs there. Why? Because there's already tonnes of interest in the game there - there's easily accessible players and supporters and sponsors, not to mention instant rivalries and easy bonuses from larger away followings.

The current system makes it incredibly difficult to buck that trend. 

I don't have the answers to the problem by the way, and the licensing route I think offers different hurdles. I still believe the answer lays somewhere between the two.

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nobody’s suggested the unbeaten table toppers Toulouse should be fast tracked into Super League. The only 2 clubs I’m aware of the be gifted a place in Super League are Leigh and Catalans. 

Under the rules whoever wins the Grand Final will have earned promotion, but Is it certain Featherstone will be promoted? Other clubs, I believe Keighley and Hunslet have been denied promotion to Super League previously so there is a precedent.

Are their grounds comparable to Featherstone's? 

And could they deny them promotion after letting in London 3 years ago? Especially since their local neighbors both have worse facilities.

The only way I could see them rejecting Featherstone would be if they refused to go full time.

Archived