• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cannot and should not change the rules, once enacted, on the basis that such a system may bring an outcome that some see as unfavourable.

A P&R system means that, on occasions, 'unfashionable' teams are promoted. And I quite like that. In the Premier League, I like that a town such as Burnley host some of the biggest football clubs in the world.

I understand the merits of a side like Toulouse in Super League, but like any other side, they must earn it.

There is something about on field performance being treated as a secondary consideration that I find uncomfortable.

12 minutes ago, tec said:

I hope Fev do get into SL. Stupid thread sums up some RL fans attitude regarding expansion. Success is earned by winning games and  not on a clubs locatIon.

RL does shoot itself in the foot often.

Posts like the original one make fans want to bet against expansion because it derides their heritage.

We need to celebrate heritage and embrace expansion. It really needs to stop pitting them against each other.

The most successful "system change" will be the one that can prevent this polarising attitude and allow people to support both.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Care to explain that one? 

snob
/snɒb/

noun
  1. a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

The city of Clemson in South Carolina had a population of 13,905 at the 2020 census. Its average football crowd is 80,000. The size of the town has little bearing on the crowds it is capable of attracting.

And in an 18-team AFL national competition, nine of them represent the inner suburbs of Melbourne. They share two stadia between them, but no one seems to worry about having nine teams with the same postcode.

Only in Rugby League are such things a major source of anxiety.

48 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nobody’s suggested the unbeaten table toppers Toulouse should be fast tracked into Super League. The only 2 clubs I’m aware of the be gifted a place in Super League are Leigh and Catalans

Under the rules whoever wins the Grand Final will have earned promotion, but Is it certain Featherstone will be promoted? Other clubs, I believe Keighley and Hunslet have been denied promotion to Super League previously so there is a precedent.

You seem to have forgotten about  Celtic Crusaders, Paris, & Gateshead. 🤪

I agree, despite going unbeaten all year and finishing top of the table, that is not how promotion is decided. But the question is if Featherstone do win are they guaranteed promotion or do they have to prove they meet certain criteria first?

I am glad your not setting it as we would never get in. Regarding the population, Isn't Leeds around half a million? If so your Club don't pull in many fans out of that number.

Did i hear once that SL clubs had reserves about another French team in SL because of the cost's involved in away games it's not like jumping on a coach for a hour or so it's probably a weekend jaunt with flights hotels 

That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

The population of Penrith, who lifted the NRL Grand Final this morning, (from Wikipedia, quoting the 2016 census) is 13,295.

A disaster for the NRL surely.

😀

23 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The city of Clemson in South Carolina had a population of 13,905 at the 2020 census. Its average football crowd is 80,000. The size of the town has little bearing on the crowds it is capable of attracting.

And in an 18-team AFL national competition, nine of them represent the inner suburbs of Melbourne. They share two stadia between them, but no one seems to worry about having nine teams with the same postcode.

Also Dingwall has a population of 5,491 and has a Scottish Premier league team, Ross County.

I agree only rugby league worries about such issues. Maybe it is because of the threat/rivalry from union?

22 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Do you mean Clemson Tigers? The University football team with 25000 students? Anyway 80k is still incredible for a college football team. Maybe Fev has the same (as yet unrealised) potential 😄

18 minutes ago, plug said:

Did i hear once that SL clubs had reserves about another French team in SL because of the cost's involved in away games it's not like jumping on a coach for a hour or so it's probably a weekend jaunt with flights hotels 

I could believe this. Really I could. 

How much would it take to take a professional squad and officials to say Toulouse, pay for transport, accomodation, training, food, etc? 

Seriously. I bet it is less than certain redundancy packages or dismal PE inquiries.

If Featherstone go up, they go up. So be it. 

Saracens are based in London which I believe has a population of about 9,000,000.

Ok you can say Featherstone is a part of Wakefield, as is Castleford. Is the Wakefield region really strong enough to support 3 Super League clubs and is it good for the game in general (I’m thinking negotiating tv deals and sponsorship etc) to have 3 clubs, that’s 1/4 of the league, based in one small little known geographical area?

You are Maurice Lindsay and I claim my million pounds…

f3gms4.jpg

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

What a sad and pathetic thread this is and a sad indictment of too many people on this forum.

Rugby League is a sport and is about teams competing and winning and losing and respecting the pyramid of the team you don’t want to promotion wins then it’s tough.

45 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

If English RL had even half the media and sponsor profile and popularity of College Football and the AFL there wouldn’t be as need to worry about it.

IF featherstone win the championship grand final what will they bring to Super League?

Will they bring new fans to the game?

Will they bring new sponsors to the game?

Will they be expanding their junior playing base in the area?

I'm not on a point scoring exercise I'm just asking

Wow. Have you been reading up on how to appear like a total snobby ######? You’ve certainly absorbed the knowledge well.

It’s sport. If Fev do win the GF (unlikely) they get promoted. Simple.

It won’t be a disaster and TOXIII get another go next year.

I mean, it’s not like we’d be replacing a major metropolis. Leigh is about the size of Cas.

And we’ve got a train station 😉

I agree, despite going unbeaten all year and finishing top of the table, that is not how promotion is decided. But the question is if Featherstone do win are they guaranteed promotion or do they have to prove they meet certain criteria first?

Yes and no 

Lock it John , the debate is over 

I clicked on this thread as the title intrigued me. I then read the OP and saw who had written it. I assume that all these replies are about a completely different topic because surely nobody actually responds to this troll with such a blatant wind up. No matter what your views on SL or Featherstone (or anything else) you've got to be a sad little person to be wasting your time in the way he is doing.

Saracens are based in London which I believe has a population of about 9,000,000.

Ok you can say Featherstone is a part of Wakefield, as is Castleford. Is the Wakefield region really strong enough to support 3 Super League clubs and is it good for the game in general (I’m thinking negotiating tv deals and sponsorship etc) to have 3 clubs, that’s 1/4 of the league, based in one small little known geographical area?

So if Fev change their name to Yorkshire Rovers , they're fine , sorted 

Archived