3 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

When a club gets promoted to super league they generally bring in new fans to the game and new sponsors. Will Fev if promoted bring any new fans to the game and new sponsors?

Do they? Did Widnes, or London, or Hull KR? 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I dont agree with the OP . If Fev get there it would be a fantastic  achievement and a great story in itself , disaster is ridiculous hyperbole . Good on them if they do , theyll have earned it and it would be good to see a club with a rich history back at the top table . Toulouse winning would be another great story for different reasons , but either way its a positive if you want to see it , and the achievement will have been earned by right on the pitch as it always should be imo . The best team comes through by performance , i wish both well and hopes its a cracker

Nice to see someone can have a different opinion to the OP without throwing abuse and insults at them, a refreshing change. @clogdanceand co take note 

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

When a club gets promoted to super league they generally bring in new fans to the game and new sponsors. Will Fev if promoted bring any new fans to the game and new sponsors?

We've had plenty of new sponsors this season and they will carry over to next season come what may. Well that's up to fans to decide whether to start coming or not, Featherstone will certainly try and get new ones.

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe not, but are they the criteria for being promoted? If so why aren’t the premier league rejecting the championship winners in favour of teams from India? 

Funny man😄, but this is one time where comparisons with football really don't work. There's loads of big BIG clubs outside the Premier League such as Nottingham Forest, Sunderland,  West Bromwich Albion,  Derby and many more. Football also has three up and down,  so a smaller club like Bournemouth or Burnley being promoted won't dilute the league .RL doesn't have that luxury it can't afford to lose big clubs, or miss opportunities like Toulouse. If pushed I'd favour the bottom two clubs of SL being in an end of season round robin group with top two  Championship teams, the top two promoted. So it's decided on the field  and Championship teams prove they're better than those they replace. 

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

You might want to check up on Fev's main sponsor, a company operating in 18 countries with revenue of ca€2b

47 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

If its Fev then the closeness of Leeds, Wakey, Cas and Fev should ensure at least some vibrant games and crowds.

The big games for Leeds are against the likes of Saints, Warrington and Wigan not against teams like Wakefield and Castleford. Some people put far too much emphasis on playing clubs within a close proximity, the reality is it adds very little to the match day occasion.

40 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Will Fev if promoted bring any new fans to the game?

Will Fev if promoted bring any new sponsors to the game?

Will Fev if promoted see an increase in junior playing numbers in their area?

Most likely yes 

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

There's loads of big BIG clubs outside the Premier League such as Nottingham Forest, Sunderland,  West Bromwich Albion,  Derby and many more.

Remind me about the population of West Bromwich too, just to add to the point that being from a small town doesn't mean you can't make you a big club...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

18 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Most likely yes 

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Funny man😄, but this is one time where comparisons with football really don't work. There's loads of big BIG clubs outside the Premier League such as Nottingham Forest, Sunderland,  West Bromwich Albion,  Derby and many more. Football also has three up and down,  so a smaller club like Bournemouth or Burnley being promoted won't dilute the league .RL doesn't have that luxury it can't afford to lose big clubs, or miss opportunities like Toulouse. If pushed I'd favour the bottom two clubs of SL being in an end of season round robin group with top two  Championship teams, the top two promoted. So it's decided on the field  and Championship teams prove they're better than those they replace. 

What specific and tangible benefits do Toulouse bring to Super League that Featherstone don't? I'm confident that the SL chairmen would rather have 500/1000 Fev fans through the turnstiles than whatever nebulous benefits Toulouse will bring

The difference between our growth and unions growth professionally is that they have been able to embrace both systems.

There have a P&R English league and they have a franchised league alongside that. They don't have to worry about new clubs displacing traditional clubs so much, so aren't at odds. They can embrace all of it.

We don't have enough clubs (yet) outside our traditional areas to be able to do that. We could do one day.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Nice to see someone can have a different opinion to the OP without throwing abuse and insults at them, a refreshing change. @clogdanceand co take note 

Id suggest you take notice as well Kev , but of course you won't 

17 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Widnes did from the Merseyside area and so did London. Not sure about the Robins

Which new fans from Merseyside got into Widnes when they went up, and which new sponsors? Widnes isn’t in Merseyside. 

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

So a ' Super 4s ' , rather than a ' Super 8s ' ? 

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The big games for Leeds are against the likes of Saints, Warrington and Wigan not against teams like Wakefield and Castleford. Some people put far too much emphasis on playing clubs within a close proximity, the reality is it adds very little to the match day occasion.

IYO

7 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Saracens are based in London which I believe has a population of about 9,000,000.

Ok you can say Featherstone is a part of Wakefield, as is Castleford. Is the Wakefield region really strong enough to support 3 Super League clubs and is it good for the game in general (I’m thinking negotiating tv deals and sponsorship etc) to have 3 clubs, that’s 1/4 of the league, based in one small little known geographical area?

Could combine them.....

The Calder Crackerjacks anyone?

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thier stadium is by far the best 

What would thier attendance be in SL? 

I don’t think 5,000 rising as far as 9,000 for the local derbies would be far off the mark.

I know it’s been said countless times, but the relatively small population of the town is a red herring. Rovers have always been Ponte’s team too. There is a hell of a lot of latent support in Ponte, Ackworth and the surrounding towns & villages.

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

Please.  Good God in heaven don’t make it Featherstone.  Another small pit town in Yorkshire being in the top league could just about kill the concept of the “Super League” 😶 it’s on life support as it is….we need something different or we’re goosed.

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thier stadium is by far the best 

What would thier attendance be in SL? 

Never said it was but it’s definitely better than the 2 dilapidated grounds of their 2 nearest Superleague neighbours.

No idea but they hardly packed them in yesterday and they might struggle if they are getting battered every week.

It isn't a matter of 'sponsors", it is the quality and diversity of sponsors.

Quality = company size and standing, preferably international.

Diversify = Moving away from betting/gaming type sponsors.

When people talk of new sponsors they need to be clear what they talking about, aiming for.

As far as who gets promoted as long as both teams meet all the requirements laid down to operate in the division they are aiming for it comes down to the result. If either team has any reason that they know of as to why they wouldn't meet any requirements they should have already opened up a dialogue about what they will do about it and if they can't fix it be honest and say they cannot take up the opportunity.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Never said it was but it’s definitely better than the 2 dilapidated grounds of their 2 nearest Superleague neighbours.

No idea but they hardly packed them in yesterday and they might struggle if they are getting battered every week.

It was a wet and miserable night and it was on TV. I rarely miss a game and if I hadn’t advance bought my ticket, I wouldn’t have bothered going out. It was foul.

It was also a shared gate. I’d be amazed if there weren’t at least 1000 more than the official figure. Every club at our level seems to under declare in such games.

Archived