8 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yes but they have worked there way up from non league BECAUSE they can and if they were to get to the Premier league ( highly unlikely i  know ) but they wouldn be refused because they are a small club. Bournemouth managed on 11,000 fans against Man United's 75,000 gates.

Bournemouth are a far better example.

But even then, they still have a bigger pool of people to draw on in Bournemouth, let alone the rest of South East Dorset, than say Fev by not far off a factor of 10. This isn't just a simplistic point about fans, its competition for financial resources. 

In the premier league they were also 1/20 teams, so comparatively the responsibility of them to a TV contract isn't as great as in Super League; and by extension the Premier League finances are so large that the impact they can take is relatively huge. For example, the cut to the central funding is seeing Wakefield nearly £500k down, and is big news at that club. In professional football that is peanuts - its more on a par with Harrogate Town and League 2. Bournemouth would be a major club in Super League on attendances and revenue. Its also important to point out that there are also genuine minimum standards in football too.

Its absolutely critical, for all levels and aspects of the sport, that Super League brings in the most money possible. RU and Cricket recognise that with their internationals which bring in their money. Football doesn't rely on Bournemouth or Harrogate to bring in the TV money or attract the investors to fund the whole game at a rate of 1/12.

So its a relative comparison, better than Harrogate, but not a great one. 

I don't think we should cut off the lower Leagues from the top.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

In what way are those two statements mutually exclusive?

Its the reference to the ' game ' 

In the first the ' game ' is the sport as a whole as they see it , which some want Toulouse in SL no matter what happens in the actual game 

In the second it's those who want the best team ' on the day ' , who wins the actual game to be promoted no matter which team that is 

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Look mate I`m trying to have a rational discussion about the best way forward for League in your part of the world and given the situation you are in, Featherstone, God bless `em, are probably not going to make your broadcaster think ` yes this competition is headed in the right direction. `

If I thought for one minute that your club could pull in a whole stack of lucrative sponsors and assemble a world beating team then I`d say go for it, but it`s probably not likely and as I keep saying your comp doesn`t need another bottom six-club, even one that might have a good year every now and again.

And regards your post, of course not and if you can get your competition thriving again with broadcast deals heading in the right direction then yes they would have as much right as anyone, but at the moment you don`t have that luxury, you`ve been put on notice, you need profile.

If Toulouse have all the resources you claim they have, there would have been nothing whatsoever from preventing them in assembling a squad of players that would have put promotion for them completly beyond and without doubt, they could have spent as much as any SL club are allowed to on their playing roster so why leave promotion to chance?

Featherstone have as much chance of winning this weekend as Toulouse have, if Toulouse were as positive as you seem to be it would have been an excersize of speculating to accumulate for them, but no they amassed a good squad for the Championship, but a good number of those player's will need to be jettisoned for the week in week out rigours of SL, their programme of success could have started a year earlier IF THEY HAD THE RESOURCES TO DO SO.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Look mate I`m trying to have a rational discussion about the best way forward for League in your part of the world and given the situation you are in, Featherstone, God bless `em, are probably not going to make your broadcaster think ` yes this competition is headed in the right direction. `

If I thought for one minute that your club could pull in a whole stack of lucrative sponsors and assemble a world beating team then I`d say go for it, but it`s probably not likely and as I keep saying your comp doesn`t need another bottom six-club, even one that might have a good year every now and again.

And regards your post, of course not and if you can get your competition thriving again with broadcast deals heading in the right direction then yes they would have as much right as anyone, but at the moment you don`t have that luxury, you`ve been put on notice, you need profile.

I have got to be honest it really amuses me when everyone talks about the huge commercial benefits and tv deals that are going to happen if Toulouse get promoted when the reality I have seen absolutely no evidence of this. Toulouse is a town dominated by Rugby Union and with one of the best teams in Europe that is just not going to change. As I understand it Catalan were having to pay broadcasters to cover there games so I just don’t see a second club having a great effect on that. 
Unfortunately the reality is if Toulouse get promoted they will bring nothing to the game.

Clearly as a Fev fan I hope we win however if we lose we can at least look forward to the huge amounts of money Toulouse are going to bring to the game.

On 03/10/2021 at 18:40, Eddie said:

Yeah I imagine Headingly will be packed to the rafters when Fev come to down, and Huddersfield. 

What’s your point? There will be more in Headingly for Fev the Toul. 

good luck to Fev if they get promoted - Salford and a few other clubs could learn from them about how to run a club. Nice ground (own ground) plenty of fans….yet somehow their getting promoted is a disaster ?

Agree two French teams would be good, but it’s not a disaster…..talking the game down is not needed…

16 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

What’s your point? There will be more in Headingly for Fev the Toul. 

Pre pandemic, there was more in Headingley for our Fixtures against Catalans and Toronto, the latter being televised and on a Thursday night, than for the relatively well followed Hull KR.

So in reply to your point their probably won't be more in for Fev...

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Pre pandemic, there was more in Headingley for our Fixtures against Catalans and Toronto, the latter being televised and on a Thursday night, than for the relatively well followed Hull KR.

So in reply to your point their probably won't be more in for Fev...

Indeed , the SBW factor , what a let down that was 🙃

38 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I have got to be honest it really amuses me when everyone talks about the huge commercial benefits and tv deals that are going to happen if Toulouse get promoted when the reality I have seen absolutely no evidence of this. Toulouse is a town dominated by Rugby Union and with one of the best teams in Europe that is just not going to change. As I understand it Catalan were having to pay broadcasters to cover there games so I just don’t see a second club having a great effect on that. 
Unfortunately the reality is if Toulouse get promoted they will bring nothing to the game.

Clearly as a Fev fan I hope we win however if we lose we can at least look forward to the huge amounts of money Toulouse are going to bring to the game.

In truth we don't know what they might bring financially , it will be virtually impossible to tell other than a TV deal 

You know I wonder if there are posters on NFL Boards who are tapping keyboards furiously to demand that Green Bay Packers be kicked out of the NFL in favour of St Louis which is a much bigger media markert. Somehow I think not...

In thev same way if Featherstone get promoted then good luck to them and I post this as an ex-season ticket hiolder of a now basiclly defunct expansion club who Fev were not particularily fond of.

The elephant in the room as always is the declining standard of the Super League in general as there are around eight clubs that are in the bottom half of the Super League / Top end of the Chamionship who are interchangable and while they do not bring anything to the table they do not take anything away from it either. Featherstone are one of those clubs as it stands.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Just a thought here, but if Toulouse weren't the "saviour of Rugby League" a mere 10 months ago when they could have been parachuted in instead of Leigh, what has changed so much in such a short time frame?

It's arguable that their squad is better than the one Leigh fielded this year.

Would the self-proclaimed geniuses of global Rugby League strategy that inhabit this forum have been wetting themselves quite so much if a clearly unready York or Newcastle were contesting Sunday's game instead of a very ready and eager Rovers? I very much doubt it.

The snobbery on display from some quarters really boils my p!$$. 

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Just a thought here, but if Toulouse weren't the "saviour of Rugby League" a mere 10 months ago when they could have been parachuted in instead of Leigh, what has changed so much in such a short time frame?

Would the self-proclaimed geniuses of global Rugby League strategy that inhabit this forum have been wetting themselves quite so much if a clearly unready York or Newcastle were contesting Sunday's game instead of a very ready and eager Rovers? I very much doubt it.

The RFL/SL did not want to risk a club like Toulouse due to Covid is my guess. The fact we started the season in full lockdown probably vindicates that.

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

The snobbery on display from some quarters really boils my p!$$. 

Who apart from a few Fev fans are using the term saviours of RL in regards to Toulouse ?

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The RFL/SL did not want to risk a club like Toulouse due to Covid is my guess. The fact we started the season in full lockdown probably vindicates that.

Not sure I buy that one. Catalan managed just fine with the total exemption from restrictions that elite athletes enjoyed.

But I'll leave covid restrictions there. I'm a travel agent and they're another thing that's had my bladder steaming for the last 18 months.

Just now, David Shepherd said:

Not sure I buy that one. Catalan managed just fine with the total exemption from restrictions that elite athletes enjoyed.

But I'll leave covid restrictions there. I'm a travel agent and they're another thing that's had my bladder steaming for the last 18 months.

It is the only thing I can think of based on what has happened in 2021. Both Featherstone and Toulouse would have performed better in SL than Leigh did with their current squads IMO.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Its the reference to the ' game ' 

In the first the ' game ' is the sport as a whole as they see it , which some want Toulouse in SL no matter what happens in the actual game 

In the second it's those who want the best team ' on the day ' , who wins the actual game to be promoted no matter which team that is 

Do you have a preference to who you would like to see go up?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is the only thing I can think of based on what has happened in 2021. Both Featherstone and Toulouse would have performed better in SL than Leigh did with their current squads IMO.

Hows things Meg ?

On 03/10/2021 at 23:31, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s the population of the small town sitting between Wakefield and Castleford known as Featherstone according to the data from the last available census.

If they do upset the odds and win next week personally I think it’d be a disaster for the sport of Rugby League, but what I’d like to know is are they guaranteed promotion if they do win? I believe in previous years clubs had to meet certain criteria, do Featherstone meet them all? Would Batley have been promoted if they’d have won it?  Are these decisions made before or after the Championship Grand Final? If the Championship Grand Final winners are denied promotion for whatever reason would the bottom place Super League club keep their place? 

Its just not about the population of the town.city it's also about bring news fans to the game and news sponsors and having proper junior development in that area.

I'm not sure Fev will bring any new fans to the game if I'm honest, but they might bring in new sponsors. For argument sake Peters the Plumbers people could sponsor them for £100 a try and Browns Building Supplies could sponsor them for £100 for all the penalty's they score and try conversions.

The criteria for any club coming into Super League surely must be a decent ground, new fans and new sponsors and and junior development

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes 

So why are you againt others having a preference?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

And lose through Leigh fans cancelling? These numbers are miniscule compared to what sky's agenda is. Rugby League is a staple offering for general Sky Sports subscribers - the large majority of which are subscribing for football first.

The bigger profile Super League gets the better it is for Sky. Full stop.

Whilst I do agree with that principle - I do feel there is a tipping point. I think we are moving into dangerous territory if we move to 10 teams and only 8 of them are English. That is a halving of British teams since the 1994/1995 season and SL was born. 

We really need a plan on what kind of league we are to be, rather than sleepwalking into something by accident. 

Archived