6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I have and Toulouse are not being hailed as the saviours of Superleague.

You’ve used this line before on another thread regarding the same subject and you were made to look stupid then aswell.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to be a little less snobby and serious about the game. My preference is for Toulouse to come up and I will be supporting them this weekend, but I will certainly be happy for Fev if they do make it. I think it is a little small-time for fans to focus too much on who is promoted and relegated and the benefits they bring etc. - the game needs to be working on its bigger issues that in reality won't be massively affected either way by the result this weekend.

We should just enjoy the sport, allow clubs to enjoy doing what they can, and maybe we should be a little less miserable about it. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I do agree with that principle - I do feel there is a tipping point. I think we are moving into dangerous territory if we move to 10 teams and only 8 of them are English. That is a halving of British teams since the 1994/1995 season and SL was born. 

We really need a plan on what kind of league we are to be, rather than sleepwalking into something by accident. 

Strategy strategy strategy!

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So why are you againt others having a preference?

My preference is who wins the game , I like both clubs equally 

I don't mind others having a preference , I have them about other clubs as I expressed in the recent Leeds v Wigan game , but I still don't like the constant ridiculing of a good solid RL club with passionate fans who've followed their club and the sport for decades ( nearly centuries in Robins case 😉 ) and deserve a shot at the top table as much as anybody 

Also the ' blind faith ' expressed as to what Toulouse might bring to the table , which nobody can be sure of 

May the best team win , and whoever that is scare the ###### out of the teams they'll be fighting against to stay in SL next year 

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

I have got to be honest it really amuses me when everyone talks about the huge commercial benefits and tv deals that are going to happen if Toulouse get promoted when the reality I have seen absolutely no evidence of this. Toulouse is a town dominated by Rugby Union and with one of the best teams in Europe that is just not going to change. As I understand it Catalan were having to pay broadcasters to cover there games so I just don’t see a second club having a great effect on that. 
Unfortunately the reality is if Toulouse get promoted they will bring nothing to the game.

Clearly as a Fev fan I hope we win however if we lose we can at least look forward to the huge amounts of money Toulouse are going to bring to the game.

At last somebody gets it. Praise the lord.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Strategy strategy strategy!

indeed. I bring it up quite often, but whilst I dislike the sport I always keep an eye on the structure and politics of the Pro12/14/URC as I think it is possibly the way we should have looked to set ourselves up - particularly if we were ever going to bother with NA expansion. Not that I think it's a natural fit, but you can't just stumble into an international league, there really does have to be at least the pretence of a plan!

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I do agree with that principle - I do feel there is a tipping point. I think we are moving into dangerous territory if we move to 10 teams and only 8 of them are English. That is a halving of British teams since the 1994/1995 season and SL was born. 

We really need a plan on what kind of league we are to be, rather than sleepwalking into something by accident. 

Plan ? 😂

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't mind others having a preference , I have them about other clubs as I expressed in the recent Leeds v Wigan game , but I still don't like the constant ridiculing of a good solid RL club with passionate fans who've followed their club and the sport for decades ( nearly centuries in Robins case 😉 ) and deserve a shot at the top table as much as anybody 

Also the ' blind faith ' expressed as to what Toulouse might bring to the table , which nobody can be sure of 

May the best team win , and whoever that is scare the ###### out of the teams they'll be fighting against to stay in SL next year 

I agree. I'm an out and out expansionist, my natural stance is to support expansion teams over established teams, but I find the attitudes to existing teams distasteful a lot of the time. 

We should value every team who plays RL, wherever they are from.

Apart from St Helens obviously.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I agree. I'm an out and out expansionist, my natural stance is to support expansion teams over established teams, but I find the attitudes to existing teams distasteful a lot of the time. 

We should value every team who plays RL, wherever they are from.

Apart from St Helens obviously.

Wigan and Leeds for me 

7 minutes ago, binosh said:

At last somebody gets it. Praise the lord.

Not you mate.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You're a cheeky monkey you are!!!

We are the same school year as each other!!!🤣🤣🤣

This thread is making me chuckle no end especially with Facebook being down🤩

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Yes but they have worked there way up from non league BECAUSE they can and if they were to get to the Premier league ( highly unlikely i  know ) but they wouldn be refused because they are a small club. Bournemouth managed on 11,000 fans against Man United's 75,000 gates.

You still have to meet criteria to get promoted through the football divisions. 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well, I personally wouldn't ridicule Fev... the club or the fans.  As I have said already, if they were in Super League they would get my support every week.

The blind faith is an interesting one.  Yes, nobody knows for sure how having Toulouse in Super League would play out but I think we know how Fev would (not results wise, just the shape of the league and game).

I personally like the unknown.  I like to see how things play out.  I am an eternal optimist and so I hope a Toulouse win would add real value to the sport in the Northern Hemisphere. 

Whatever happens though, I will still enjoy next season and good luck to both sides on Sunday.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You still have to meet criteria to get promoted through the football divisions. 

I mean, clubs literally get blocked from promotion and/or have to spend on ground/other improvements every season all the way through the pyramid.

The only reason you don't see it in the Football League is that there are shared criteria that virtually all clubs now meet for their next potential promotion but, for example, not every club in League Two right now would be eligible to get into the Premier League without serious upgrades.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do you have a preference to who you would like to see go up?

I have a preference.

I'd like the winners of the million pound game to be promoted. I don't care if they're from Toulouse, Featherstone, Buenos Aires, Mogadishu, Emmerdale, Ambridge, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, Mars or Moonbase Alpha.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I mean, clubs literally get blocked from promotion and/or have to spend on ground/other improvements every season all the way through the pyramid.

The only reason you don't see it in the Football League is that there are shared criteria that virtually all clubs now meet for their next potential promotion but, for example, not every club in League Two right now would be eligible to get into the Premier League without serious upgrades.

Whereas in RL we have literally no criteria to be met from community level to SL 

1 minute ago, David Shepherd said:

I have a preference.

I'd like the winners of the million pound game to be promoted. I don't care if they're from Toulouse, Featherstone, Buenos Aires, Mogadishu, Emmerdale, Ambridge, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, Mars or Moonbase Alpha.

Emmerdale is a bit too close to the Giants for me 😉

43 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you have 2 top French clubs that may have 8 British players between them, it is a pretty poor reflection on the state of the game here that we don't think we can fill another 10 elite teams. A 12 team SL with 2 of those being French is a win IMO - and a solid case for keeping at least at 12 clubs.

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I have a preference.

That's what I meant. When I said do you have a preference to who goes up I meant do you have a preference to who you want to win the match... because the winners of the match are the one's who go up.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's what I meant. When I said do you have a preference to who goes up I meant do you have a preference to who you want to win the match... because the winners of the match are the one's who go up.

Well I bleed blue and white irregular hoops when cut, so I'll not be supporting TOXIII on Sunday 😛

Archived