Match Thread: Championship Final, Toulouse v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-10th-October-2021

marklaspalmas

38 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Unlucky Fev. The first 20 did you and that dropped ball for the Toulouse try should not have been given, irrespective of what the ref thought. 

I felt sorry for your outside backs who looked sharp, but your half backs let you down I feel. The Toulouse front row did the damage whilst I must say not really being outstanding. 

All the best and look forward to the battles with Leigh next year. Toulouse will finish SL rock bottom with that side, so they need to spend and quick. It's probably the worst ever time to get promoted. 

Think last season was the worst time to be promoted, last minute to sign players and smaller funding. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to Brett Ferres yesterday afternoon at school pick up, he didn't know the exact reason why his 2nd 'try' was disallowed, he said that he thought that he'd grounded the ball but he'd not seen the incident back as there was no screen in the stadium, the team were under the impression that the 'try' was disallowed for 'ripping' rather than Welham potentially fumbling whilst facing our own line. The ball strip to me looked perfectly legitimate. 

Personally I thought all the decisions made looked correct, but irrespective of that I think that Toulouse had more to give if we'd got closer. They had a far superior kicking game and their pack largely dominated ours. Injuries to the likes of Day, Moores and Springer haven't helped, but it's something we need to address for next season. Travelling on the day was also a massive disadvantage. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

I was talking to Brett Ferres yesterday afternoon at school pick up, he didn't know the exact reason why his 2nd 'try' was disallowed, he said that he thought that he'd grounded the ball but he'd not seen the incident back as there was no screen in the stadium, the team were under the impression that the 'try' was disallowed for 'ripping' rather than Welham potentially fumbling whilst facing our own line. The ball strip to me looked perfectly legitimate. 

I had the sound on mute but wondered whether the 'strip' had been ruled as a knock on?  

Watched the game back yesterday and the Welham knock on when the ball did not go forward was one of those 50/50 decisions.As for my player ratings in earlier post would put Ferres up to 7.5 points our best player and Chizzy down half a point to 6.Chizzy.s kicking game could have been much better but he had that 40/20 and also put Ferres over with that slick pass.No more about the game from me i have moved on.

56 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I had the sound on mute but wondered whether the 'strip' had been ruled as a knock on?  

Sky said welham had two goes at picking up the ball  so was given as knock on and funny enough said it was a 50/50 decision and could have  gone  either way  which made me laugh because A knock-on is committed when, in an attempt to play at the ball, a player knocks the ball towards their opponents' dead ball line with their hands or arms and it touches either the ground, or an opposing player🤣

On 10/10/2021 at 22:36, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Commiserations ! Just keep plugging away. Just shows what money can do. A couple of things they'll never have though, class and history. You've accomplished things that they never will. Featherstone is part of the heartbeat that is Rugby League. They're just someone's investment. No heart no soul.

Toulouse RFL are 82 years old, I believe; the city and the team also ooze class.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Perfect time to have another overseas team.  the average person won’t have enough money to heat their home or eat let alone jet off the France to spend a grand watching rugby. 😂 

A grand? I dint spend that going to Toronto!!🤣🤣

I've done the Toulouse trip a few times and never spent owt like £1k

Just now, lingaro said:

there’s 2 teams Robin and you know what I mean.

Actually I didn't. I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were referring to a single trip.... my initial thoughts were "£1k?? Which hotel is he stopping at and what wine is he drinking for a £1k weekend in Tls"?

Just a reflection, just over 10 years ago, on July 3rd 2011, I commentated on the Featherstone v Toulouse Olympique game. 

Featherstone won 90-10. 

Iirc the current Toulouse coach Sylvain Houles played in the game, Kevin Larroyer also rings a bell. This said-

Toulouse were only one of two teams to have beaten Rovers in that almost magnificent regular season of 2010 (The night Cameron got into power) What a topsy turvy Toulouse that was. 

How things have changed! 

Can anyone remember why they (Toulouse) were so different in 2011 compared to 2010?

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Toulouse RFL are 82 years old, I believe; the city and the team also ooze class.

Actually BSJ  TO Founded in 1937, two years after the French Rugby League Federation so that's 84 years old

However if you want to be pedantic one could argue that the current TO side were formed i following liberation by the Allies  the fall of the  Vichy government the lifting of the rugby league ban and the restoration of the French Championship, in 1845 so 76 years old

9 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Just a reflection, just over 10 years ago, on July 3rd 2011, I commentated on the Featherstone v Toulouse Olympique game. 

Featherstone won 90-10. 

Iirc the current Toulouse coach Sylvain Houles played in the game, Kevin Larroyer also rings a bell. This said-

Toulouse were only one of two teams to have beaten Rovers in that almost magnificent regular season of 2010 (The night Cameron got into power) What a topsy turvy Toulouse that was. 

How things have changed! 

Can anyone remember why they (Toulouse) were so different in 2011 compared to 2010?

Toulouse returned to the French Championship Elite One.As for the reason i could only guess at lack of funds or something to do with Visas to travel and play in the English game.I am sure you will put me right Andrew.

Now the dust has setted and on reflection my grandson say's we were pant's and deserved to be 16 nil down at half time but did we 

Robert said try for both TO's efforts and the video ref no matter what he sees won't go against that decision but WHAT IF robert says no try and video ref goes along with him then it's not 16 

similarly WHAT IF  robert says try for bretts second  video ref say's yes  it's 16-12  and a whole different ball game

It's the WHAT IF's that makes me love rugby league

2 hours ago, POR said:

Now the dust has setted and on reflection my grandson say's we were pant's and deserved to be 16 nil down at half time but did we 

Robert said try for both TO's efforts and the video ref no matter what he sees won't go against that decision but WHAT IF robert says no try and video ref goes along with him then it's not 16 

similarly WHAT IF  robert says try for bretts second  video ref say's yes  it's 16-12  and a whole different ball game

It's the WHAT IF's that makes me love rugby league

Funny that.  Its the what ifs that I hate about Rugby League

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Aye... mind.... so is a trip to Whitehaven if you add an overnight in Keswick.... which I'm hoping to do

A day before the 'fax game I could have booked to go to S France with the Mrs for 7 nights (Tues to Tues) flying from Manchester for less than £300 inc hotels and transfers. A long weekend in the Lakes is getting on for that

Archived