Hearns should take over RL- look now!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Look at darts on Sky Sports tonight. 

Looks like a crowd of under 500 or so for night of professional darts. First UK sky darts since July. 

NO tiered seating sold at all 

Around half the tables full 

Maybe Hearns need RFL to takeover marketing? 

*post in jest 

Itll soon be back to normal , tables full of Elvis and melon costumes 

34 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Looks like a crowd of under 500 or so for night of professional darts. First UK sky darts since July. 

*post in jest 

Bring them in for the Challenge cup final and Grand Final and they would be sell outs. Bring them in for internationals against Australia and New Zealand and they would sell out. The Hearns are very good at marketing one off events

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

*post in jest 

Regardless of what you think of the Hearn or darts, it is pretty undeniable the job they have done with the sport.

I don't think one of the lower profile Sky events at a rearranged venue does much to undo that.

I also don't think that RL is any position to scoff on that front. I was looking on the website for tickets to the GF and it should've come with a warning it was that depressing.

Do most people just go to the darts for the atmosphere and the drink ?. I was wondering how the audience can see the dart board if they are sat so far away.
What do they do if they get people who want to fight everyone after they’ve had a pint. Or do they not get crowd trouble at the darts. 

20 minutes ago, Josef K said:

What do they do if they get people who want to fight everyone after they’ve had a pint. 

Eddie has a butchers and then signs them on for the undercard at his next bout.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

He’s done an amazing job with boxing in the UK. Globally the sport is at its lowest ebb in its history with no current hall of fame level fighter bar Alvarez, yet he’s managed to fill out stadiums in the UK with C level fighters. Froch vs Groves, a fight that would have been held in an Arena on the undercard of a terrestrial fight in the era of Benn, Calzaghe and co. and yet he’s got them fighting as a main event, at Wembley Stadium, on PPV. He’s done similar wonders with another bogstandard fighter in Anthony Joshua. Dillian Whyte vs Derek Chisora, main event, on PPV. It’s extraordinary. 

It’s been years since the last big fight in Vegas as the world class talent isn’t there, but somehow Hearn is able to drum up domestic interest for fights to be staged in stadiums, and have folk actually pay to watch them on PPV. He’s clearly very good at what he does as he’s not working with much.

4 minutes ago, DC77 said:

He’s done an amazing job with boxing in the UK. Globally the sport is at its lowest ebb in its history with no current hall of fame level fighter bar Alvarez, yet he’s managed to fill out stadiums in the UK with C level fighters. Froch vs Groves, a fight that would have been held in an Arena on the undercard of a terrestrial fight in the era of Benn, Calzaghe and co. and yet he’s got them fighting as a main event, at Wembley Stadium, on PPV. He’s done similar wonders with another bogstandard fighter in Anthony Joshua. Dillian Whyte vs Derek Chisora, main event, on PPV. It’s extraordinary. 

It’s been years since the last big fight in Vegas as the world class talent isn’t there, but somehow Hearn is able to drum up domestic interest for fights to be staged in stadiums, and have folk actually pay to watch them on PPV. He’s clearly very good at what he does as he’s not working with much.

You can fool some the people all the time and all of the people some of the time 

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Bring them in for the Challenge cup final and Grand Final and they would be sell outs. Bring them in for internationals against Australia and New Zealand and they would sell out. The Hearns are very good at marketing one off events

Yeah they’ve had a go at owning Leyton Orient and running netball which hasn’t been a big success. I think brining them in to market the Challenge Cup, GF and high profile internationals would be a good idea

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

Do most people just go to the darts for the atmosphere and the drink ?. I was wondering how the audience can see the dart board if they are sat so far away.
What do they do if they get people who want to fight everyone after they’ve had a pint. Or do they not get crowd trouble at the darts. 

It kicked off many moons ago at Blackburn. 

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

1 minute ago, dkw said:

So basically ignore all the examples of things where he has had a huge positive impact and look at this one semi negative thing to prove everything....great logical thinking.

Isn't that the RL way though. Ignore the positives... 

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I also don't think that RL is any position to scoff on that front. I was looking on the website for tickets to the GF and it should've come with a warning it was that depressing.

Yes, it looked particularly grim I must admit. 

They appear to be sticking with the strategy of price increases rather than bargain prices that they have been criticised for before, so we'll see how that plays out. 

It's a shame that SLE haven't made any effort with the event and haven't bothered with a named act (simply highlighting 'a DJ set' ). If they aren't making the effort, why would fans? 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, it looked particularly grim I must admit. 

They appear to be sticking with the strategy of price increases rather than bargain prices that they have been criticised for before, so we'll see how that plays out. 

It's a shame that SLE haven't made any effort with the event and haven't bothered with a named act (simply highlighting 'a DJ set' ). If they aren't making the effort, why would fans? 

You would have thought they could have created a BetFred interactive zone with Mick Gledhill 

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Grand Final is such a missed opportunity it's unreal. 

Here we have an event that is a generation old, the pinnacle of our season and the one game where everything is on the line, and we still can't get close to making it an event that people fear missing out on. 

It doesn't matter who is playing - it should be difficult to get a Grand Final ticket. 

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

I went to the Circus Tavern a couple of times, needless to say pretty much everyone there was on a Leo Sayer but there was no trouble at all. Security is visible and look like they mean business though, which must help. 

costs money to properly market an event, and unfortunately at the minute the RFL ain't got none !

My opinion (for what little it's worth), is that the RFL should be prepared to find the cash to invest in allowing the Hearn's (or similar organisation) to market one of the major events, and I would start with the Challenge Cup semi-final and final.

if the marketing campaign works then the investment will pay for itself, if not, then the game isn't too much worse off than it is at present.

I would also throw the majority of the marketing budget in targeting the south of England, and aim for the City of London's corporate sponsorship as opposed to the £15 per seat market.

Some of those London companies have huge marketing budgets, but for whatever reason the RFL has never been able to tap into it.

the potential is there, I was a student in London in the late 80's early 90's and can remember the Martin Offiah adverts which seemed to be everywhere at the time, resulting in a huge crowd at Wembley for what was a classic test match against the Aussies. The foundations were laid on that Saturday, but as usual the RFL failed to build on it and the initiative was again lost.

Marketing weekly sports fixtures is a completely different ball game and in the case of RL is and always will be a local marketing initiative. The RFL should be making a lot of money from major events but they seem incapable of marketing themselves, which invariably always results in selling tickets at rock bottom prices creating the vicious circle we now find ourselves in

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Regardless of what you think of the Hearn or darts, it is pretty undeniable the job they have done with the sport.

I still think most people would struggle to name three active darts players or tell you who the current world champion is.

Which is normally the starting point for lambasting RL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived