Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Most people realise that Catalans fans won't be able to travel at all and that there's enough going on in the world to mean not too many neutrals might fancy the trip.

The financial hit could be problematic but nobody in the outside world is going to condemn RL for a low to middling crowd after a fuel shortage and during an ongoing pandemic.

I doubt the ongoing pandemic and fuel shortage will make much difference to a lower than normal attendance for the Old Trafford Grand Final.

Source of information 2018 Challenge Cup Final, common denominator = Catalan Dragons, neither of those two implications came into consideration for the poor attendance then.

50k plus would be a positive, but the ticket site worries me at the moment. 

I think the first SL GF got 46k or something and it looked great on TV. I'd focus on lower bowl as MJM said, but it'll be what it'll be. 

27 minutes ago, Scubby said:

For once, I really don't give a #### There will be enough in attendance to make it a great event. Catalans fans cannot travel how they would like and it will be a different atmosphere for that no doubt. I can't wait.

Which cap are you wearing? 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I doubt the ongoing pandemic and fuel shortage will make much difference to a lower than normal attendance for the Old Trafford Grand Final.

Source of information 2018 Challenge Cup Final, common denominator = Catalan Dragons, neither of those two implications came into consideration for the poor attendance then.

And was the poor Challenge Cup Final attendances before & after 2018 the Catalans fault also.

24 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And was the poor Challenge Cup Final attendances before & after 2018 the Catalans fault also.

Don't reckon so Dav, the one before was 18,000 and the one after was 12,000 more, the '18 final was the lowest since the war years, if this years GF final is lower than the 48K of '98 or the 51K of '99 then I would say there is the basis of a trend begining to happen, wouldn't you?

My prediction is 45000 max it's impossible for Dragons fans (Unless you are fairly well off) to travel that's the reality of the situation.

I am flying from Girona to Manchester on Thursday and the flight is almost empty.

I would suggest a 2 week lead in for the SLGF would be a good idea in future?

Paul

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't reckon so Dav, the one before was 18,000 and the one after was 12,000 more, the '18 final was the lowest since the war years, if this years GF final is lower than the 48K of '98 or the 51K of '99 then I would say there is the basis of a trend begining to happen, wouldn't you?

The trend of falling attendances in the sport has been going on for some time& hasn’t got anything to do with the Catalans,but then again don’t have your agenda.

Catalans Dragons are in the Super League Grand Final which is fantastic for our sport in France.

As a result the attendance in the final will be a little lower than if both teams were from the UK.

I'm OK with that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I bet more Catalans fans will travel to the UK than Featherstone fans travel to France for their respective Grand Finals 

Not sure about that. 2 Ryanair flights already fully booked and looking at the available flights over the weekend, the pricing would indicate that they're pretty full too.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

No restrictions for us entering France if vaccinated but even if they are jabbed they need to do lateral flows after entry to the UK (which for most will be after they return home!). Plus passenger locator forms in both directions. The admin is a burden and stress if you've not done it before, which most people won't have done.

Catalans official packages included the testing in the price which will have saved some of that worry.

Burden and stress?  The admin is 2 pieces of paper and a LFT.

It’s a bit irrelevant the capacity was restricted to 45,000 if only 40,000 bought tickets 

I thought that restriction was now lifted. Man Utd are permitted to play in front of a capacity stadium again now and had over 73K there this weekend.

Why would a rugby game at the stadium be limited to 45K when a football game can have over 73K ? Are rugby fans more contagious than football fans or something.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Burden and stress?  The admin is 2 pieces of paper and a LFT.

Like I said if you've not done it before then it's a stress. I can guarantee you that's the case for people.

And it's not particularly the doing of the test or filling the form but it's finding out the specific requirements, which generally aren't all in one place. Plus the UK rules just changed which means you need to be careful to follow the correct rules.

35 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Not sure about that. 2 Ryanair flights already fully booked and looking at the available flights over the weekend, the pricing would indicate that they're pretty full too.

Featherstone have chartered 2 Ryanair flights? 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's dead easy to portray this as a "Catalans Dragons" problem, but it's a diversion from the real issue. The crux of the issue is that it should not be this easy to get a ticket to a Grand Final so close to the event, no matter who is playing. The sport can't just hope that Leeds and one of Wigan, St Helens or Warrington get there every year and let their ticket office staff do the heavy lifting. 

This is an event that is 23 years old, is the pinnacle of this country's elite league of what we like to call "the greatest game", and a one-off match where the entire season is on the line that is played on a weekend where there isn't actually that much elite sporting competition. Advance purchases should be much, much higher than they are. The sport has had long enough to establish this as a FOMO event. 

The same applies to the Challenge Cup Final. We still have people claiming that falling attendances are down to the lack of trips organised by pubs and working mens clubs - WMC's haven't been relevant for over 20 years, and we're still blaming that for the Challenge Cup Final's decline? 

Why aren't these events ones that people are clamouring to see? 

50 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Catalans Dragons are in the Super League Grand Final which is fantastic for our sport in France.

As a result the attendance in the final will be a little lower than if both teams were from the UK.

I'm OK with that.

And that is all I am saying Dunny, blame it on whatever people want to, the simple reason that one of the team's is from France will result in a lower attendance.

So they've had quite a long while to build up to this now. What was their strategy? I've been receiving emails from Super League. I wouldn't go wholesale down the discounted tickets route but why haven't I, and every member of a SL club, received something from their own club direct offering a member's offer or something similar?

I bet more Catalans fans will travel to the UK than Featherstone fans travel to France for their respective Grand Finals 

So they should, they have a bigger population! It amazes me why you are bothered and what does it prove if they do or they don't. Just enjoy the two games instead of taking cheap shots.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is all I am saying Dunny, blame it on whatever people want to, the simple reason that one of the team's is from France will result in a lower attendance.

Correlation is not necessarily causation. 

If the only tickets that go unsold were the club allocation tickets, it's fair to make that case. But there are lots of reasons why the crowd is smaller than it should be - and that's before you get to "one of the teams is from France". 

57 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm OK with that.

Me too, short term pain for long term gain IMO.

As others have said there should really be more tickets sold regardless of who gets there. Big clubs take maybe 15k? So that's max 30k non-neutral fans. Where are the other 45k?

Archived