Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I remember these kind of comments when about Toronto being held up as an example of backward RL fans being anti-expansion - but it appears fair game for existing clubs. 

I can appreciate Toronto wouldn't bring many fans that's to be expected and Catalans maybe won't with covid for a start but WHY bring Featherstone into it. Does it matter how many fans travel ?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Didn't the old Wembley have a reduced capacity for the Challenge Cup Final (98,000) compared to the FA Cup Final (100,000) because rugby league supporters eat more pies?

Rugby League actually increased the seating capacity for their games, which many people weren't aware was possible, it reduced capacity but increased revenue.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Didn't the old Wembley have a reduced capacity for the Challenge Cup Final (98,000) compared to the FA Cup Final (100,000) because rugby league supporters eat more pies?

Was definitely the case between 1987 and 1995

45 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

HAVING two internationals every year would be a massive step forward

Having one every two years would be progress.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Leaving Catalans to one side for a moment, are Saints likely to muster much of a crowd? Obviously they have their stalwart supporters and hardcore but always feels it is limited even for a final, maybe 8000-12000 max on a good day

Saints' allocation from the club is almost sold out and some (including me bought via the RFL). Lower tier Stretford will be full and upper tier full maybe apart from the back few rows.

Looking at the RFL's map, it's not quite as bad as it was but not sure which greyed out seats are sold and not!

If reports of Catalans taking 1,000 at 1 week notice with all covid difficulties, then that would be incredible.

I’ve not read any of this but i’ll tell you what someone said too me today

Alleged RL Fan -  “the game is corrupt, the game is dead, there will be no one there on Saturday. It’s all Sky & Phil Clarke’s fault as they hate Saints just look at all those Wigan player’s commentating. You can hear it in their tone of their voices”. 

Josef (me) - “are you going the game on Saturday”

Alleged RL Fan - “Oh no”

Me - “stop moaning about the ground being empty then if you can’t be arsed going yourself. You’re supposed too be a MUFC fan and yet ive been to Old Trafford more than you have. I’d have thought you might’ve made the effort and go the game so you can buy everything from the Utd Shop and then you call tell everyone you have been to OT. You’re an empty barrel,  pl55 off you t1t. (I have always wanted to say that to my ex-brother in law).

He’s always first too pipe up with anything negative about RL, if it’s anything positive i don’t hear a peep from him. 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes, as I said earlier what sport in Europe other than football and Union could attract crowds like that? And before anyone says it, Formula 1 isn’t a sport. 

GAA. Both the hurling and football could sell out croke Park multiple times over for the All Ireland final. 

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

I’ve not read any of this but i’ll tell you what someone said too me today

Alleged RL Fan -  “the game is corrupt, the game is dead, there will be no one there on Saturday. It’s all Sky & Phil Clarke’s fault as they hate Saints just look at all those Wigan player’s commentating. You can hear it in their tone of their voices”. 

Josef (me) - “are you going the game on Saturday”

Alleged RL Fan - “Oh no”

Me - “stop moaning about the ground being empty then if you can’t be arsed going yourself. You’re supposed too be a MUFC fan and yet ive been to Old Trafford more than you have. I’d have thought you might’ve made the effort and go the game so you can buy everything from the Utd Shop and then you call tell everyone you have been to OT. You’re an empty barrel,  pl55 off you t1t. (I have always wanted to say that to my ex-brother in law).

He’s always first too pipe up with anything negative about RL, if it’s anything positive i don’t hear a peep from him. 

So you were married to Harry`s sister, must have been a right barrel of laughs around the Christmas table with that lot.

14 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Didn't the 1985 CC Final between Wigan and Hull have an attendance of 99,801 which is the highest ever for a CC Final at Wembley?  I came from Aus. for the game.

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

What's his user name on here?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Once again we are here with a pathetic ticket sales process. Hardly usable on your mobile device, not much better on your laptop (the individual seats are so small you have to zoom right in) - earlier in the week when looking for £30 tickets in the family areas there were none - suddenly there are plenty. Earlier in the week the 2nd tier was not for sale, now it is (hopefully that is a good sign). 

It should never, ever be awkward to buy a ticket for an event that will have tens of thousands of empty seats.

Archived