Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The Challenge Cup Final with Catalans was one of the lower attended finals of recent years. I can well imagine that there are plenty of RL fans who won’t go to finals involving Catalans “on principle”.

I think there might be a bit of that too, which is a shame.

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The Challenge Cup Final with Catalans was one of the lower attended finals of recent years. I can well imagine that there are plenty of RL fans who won’t go to finals involving Catalans “on principle”.

Any "fan" that does that is a moron.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I suspect there is very little of that. 

In reality though, we knew this was going to be a low crowd, that doesn't necessarily make it one for neutrals to rush out to.

Ultimately, if we are going to have an international presence in the league, things like this will happen. We need to just crack on, make it the best we can and keep going. 

12 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Won't go  on principle? What principle is that? I Thought this is the Super League Europe Grand Final - not Super League M62 District League Grand Final.

It's a principle that is made up (always barring a few nutters). Nobody is doing this, in fact there will be a lot of Northerners there cheering on Catalans. 

1 hour ago, bratman said:

Wasn't that long ago we had 75k for the World Cup final at Old Trafford between Aus/NZ, which seems a bit unbelievable these days. Hopefully we'll get back to those numbers at some point!

This is a really odd comparison to make.

3 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Looks a poor gate, less than 30k I suspect. People may point finger st les cats but I think covid has affected peoples habits towards large events of all types

quoting covid is a poor excuse, other sports have had very good attendances, its not just RL covid affects. from what i saw, the upper tiers were empty. prob about 45k tops

Great crowd in the circumstances, really good atmosphere and a good game to watch, sometimes you people amaze me, crowd is what I expected given that catalans were in the final, the empty spaces would have been filled with most english team to the usual level, but Catalans bought a lot more to the final if not in seat numbers. Expansion is needed, and tonight did the game no harm whatsoever

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

Archived