Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes I completely agree. I have always said that the women's game should build as a standalone entity and I firmly believe it can grow quicker and easier than the men's game as it doesn't face the same barriers. The sport should be seeking to ride the crest of the wave that is women's sport at the moment. Separate events make complete sense in doing that and tying events with the men's game can only hold the women's game back.

I think we’ve already seen here a few different views on this and that’s fair enough.

Although I do understand concerns I don’t think it would undermine and undervalue the women’s game at all and puts it on a level playing field in many respects in terms of playing venue etc.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes I completely agree. I have always said that the women's game should build as a standalone entity and I firmly believe it can grow quicker and easier than the men's game as it doesn't face the same barriers. The sport should be seeking to ride the crest of the wave that is women's sport at the moment. Separate events make complete sense in doing that and tying events with the men's game can only hold the women's game back.

Who knows?

I like the idea of double-headers on a ''ladies first'' basis, as a family crowd-building initiative (we're not selling out at the moment) and I believe it will work in favour of the women's game also, if spectators (for the men's game) see the women's game and like it.

It's also more likely to be televised (as a double header) so everyone's a winner.

I really don't accept that putting them on first devalues the women's game.

If the evidence suggests that a stand-alone women's final can draw the sponsors, the crowd and television company interest, let's go for it.

The double-header initiative could help them get there quicker. 

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

But we're just coming off the back of a very successful women's Grand Final - which did get coverage - so it seems a very poor idea to make it a double header with the men's given that the men's final sells out or comes close to selling out most years anyway.

The women`s GF on Sunday was a double-header event (Saints/Leeds was preceded by Huddersfield/Featherstone).

The fact that women`s RL drew a crowd of 4k+ definitely made more waves than if Saints/Leeds had been the curtain-raiser the day before. Plus, Giants and Rovers would have lost out.

A mix and match pragmatic approach is best. Women`s games played before men`s games are fine as a form of advertising and promotion. But it shouldn`t become the norm.

The women`s WC final will be played alongside the men`s next year, as it was in 2017. At the moment this makes sense. It`s only once every four years, and our women`s WC is not yet strong enough to make an impression as a standalone tournament.

58 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The women`s GF on Sunday was a double-header event (Saints/Leeds was preceded by Huddersfield/Featherstone).

The fact that women`s RL drew a crowd of 4k+ definitely made more waves than if Saints/Leeds had been the curtain-raiser the day before. Plus, Giants and Rovers would have lost out.

A mix and match pragmatic approach is best. Women`s games played before men`s games are fine as a form of advertising and promotion. But it shouldn`t become the norm.

The women`s WC final will be played alongside the men`s next year, as it was in 2017. At the moment this makes sense. It`s only once every four years, and our women`s WC is not yet strong enough to make an impression as a standalone tournament.

The set up for the women’s grand final being a good example of the curtain raiser / main game nature of double headers. And there’s nothing wrong with that when it’s appropriate and works.

Hopefully, we’ll see the women’s Challenge Cup final given its own day soon and we obviously have a really good platform now for the Grand Final.

And I refuse to be pessimistic for the men’s grand final on the back of this one odd year. If we’re still struggling next year - whoever is in the final - then is the time to start thinking of “what needs to be done”.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 12/10/2021 at 15:31, Wanderer said:

This, to me, is a bigger problem rather than the actual crowd on Saturday, which it can be argued is low for understandable reasons. If people, and family groups in particular stop attending because of the anti-social behaviour they have to deal with, where does this leave the sport and trying to sell these show-case events?

Basically it appears the grand final is an excuse to get on the ale / gin / whatever else just after breakfast, magic weekend is an opportunity to do the same the whole weekend and nobody can really be bothered with the Challenge Cup anymore.

The thing that stands out that I read in these threads is die-hard fans saying never again! This is a problem...

The problem is that the prevailing belief in this country is that you have have to be drunk or you haven’t had a good time, so people go out and drink to get drunk which causes all the trouble.

Archived