Grand final attendance doom and gloom thread.

Just now, M j M said:

If you can't do basic comprehension then you probably shouldn't be leaving your house.

Yeah,I guessed you’d revert to that.  Thanks.  

Passport controls are even giving people the locator forms if they are for the wrong colour status.  Both papers can be handed in together so even that movement is easy.  There is absolutely nothing to cause concern.  

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There are usually plenty of tickets sold, are you saying that previous GF attendances have been too low also? 

Last couple of seasons have been a bit disappointing, but 60k+ is still a good crowd IMO
2015 73512 Leeds Wigan
2016 70202 Warrington Wigan
2017 72827 Cas Leeds
2018 64892 Wigan Warrington
2019 64102 Saints Salford

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, again, agreed with much of that, but I think a reality check is sometimes needed. We talk about big sports events being sold out in minutes, but this isn't the case for many comparable sports. Rugby's Euro Cup, Premiership Grand Final, Pro14 Final, Autumn internationals etc. all often have empty seats, and I think it's fair to say they are richer and better organised sports than RL. 

I don't think we need to benchmark ourselves unrealistically, but I understand the point you are making of not settling. 

I think the Pro14 occasionally drops to < 40k

2 minutes ago, bratman said:

Last couple of seasons have been a bit disappointing, but 60k+ is still a good crowd IMO
2015 73512 Leeds Wigan
2016 70202 Warrington Wigan
2017 72827 Cas Leeds
2018 64892 Wigan Warrington
2019 64102 Saints Salford

Yes, as I said earlier what sport in Europe other than football and Union could attract crowds like that? And before anyone says it, Formula 1 isn’t a sport. 

3 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. 

The issue here is that RL's flagship events, one an event that RL argues is a "blue ribboned" event of such sporting and cultural importance that it merits being on the protected events list, and another the pinnacle of the league season and the peak of sporting drama, aren't seen as "must see" events by the wider public, or indeed the RL fanbase. 

That's not a failure of the Catalans Dragons, nor are the Catalans the cause of that. It's a failure of the game's leadership in how it establishes, builds, develops and promotes these key events and how it (including the 12 SL clubs) builds a core audience for them. 

Whilst most top sporting and entertainment events sell out in 15 minutes, RL is still trying desperately to sell tickets to our biggest events 15 minutes before kick-off. 

Michael, please point out to me where I have even intimated that any blame rests with Catalan Dragons, it is an observation that a French club being involved in any of the two "blue ribboned" events will not attract an audience as big as if it was two British teams competeing, whatever the why's and wherefore's of not developing and promoting the event, it will never be a sell out until the two finalists are secured then even people like those who can ill afford it will make the extra effort to go if they are a supporter of one of the competeing teams. 

Tell me this because I honestly do not know the answer, whatever the club sport be it Football, RL or Union at these "big" events is there a number of tickets held back and not put on general sale to accommodate the fans of the competeing teams, I would guess there is judging how each end of the stadia is populated with the fans and colours of each team, which in my opinion is the correct way it should be done the supporter's of a finalist should have the opportunity to buy tickets for the final, that even with the Catalan "fans for the occasion" is the reason that the ground will be less attended.

Edit, reading further down the thread after answering you post, I can see that Dave T and your good self has discussed what I am saying here, as with the next post.

9 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Ok I’ll start.  

I’m going as a non-neutral neutral Wire fan so my attendance guess is 55,000 with lots of words used post match from the following list:

Farce

Leigh

Toronto

Dying game

Rimmer

M62

Enjoy the event guys!

I thought it might be our fault 😁

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Anthony Joshua does, quite regularly. (Pandemic permitting) 

Fair enough, though again that’s a National thing, not a club match. I dont think any club sports in Europe other than football and Union (a few games a year max) can draw crowds like the GF and CCF. 

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fair enough, though again that’s a National thing, not a club match. I dont think any club sports in Europe other than football and Union (a few games a year max) can draw crowds like the GF and CCF. 

Gaelic football

My personal feeling is we have failed as a sport to think outside of the box.

Taking 2 internationals to London every year would really help both the profile and to attract sponsors.

If the RFU wanted to they could offer an obscene about of money to 5 clubs to join a hybrid version of the game and its over.

On a positive note its not Einstein.to change things.

P

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes, as I said earlier what sport in Europe other than football and Union could attract crowds like that? And before anyone says it, Formula 1 isn’t a sport. 

NFL?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Taking 2 internationals to London every year would really help both the profile and to attract sponsors.

If the RFU wanted to they could offer an obscene about of money to 5 clubs to join a hybrid version of the game and its over.

P

Depends on what the hybrid version is as its the fans who would chose if it works, doesn't matter what the clubs want to do, as long as the Hybrid version doesn't contain line outs, endless collapsed scrums, 15 players clogging up the pitch 3 point drop goals and ever one singing 1 line of a pointless slave song the big 5 SL clubs and their fans may go for it.....

My prediction is 55,000 by the way.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Depends on what the hybrid version is as its the fans who would chose if it works, doesn't matter what the clubs want to do, as long as the Hybrid version doesn't contain line outs, endless collapsed scrums, 15 players clogging up the pitch 3 point drop goals and ever one singing 1 line of a pointless slave song the big 5 SL clubs and their fans may go for it.....

My prediction is 55,000 by the way.

I think 48k but would still be fine with anything in that range

25 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

Let them go 

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I bet more Catalans fans will travel to the UK than Featherstone fans travel to France for their respective Grand Finals 

Grow up what a stupid comment . You've always got to have a dig at Featherstone ok you don't like us fair enough but if you've nothing decent to say say nothing.

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Grow up what a stupid comment . You've always got to have a dig at Featherstone ok you don't like us fair enough but if you've nothing decent to say say nothing.

I remember these kind of comments when about Toronto being held up as an example of backward RL fans being anti-expansion - but it appears fair game for existing clubs. 

Archived