Wigan’s new coaching team

Davo5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see a British coach given a chance at a major club.  I hope Peet is a massive success.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan said at a press conference to unveil the new backroom team: “We are delighted to appoint from within.

“This is not a cheap option, it is a big investment in coaching.”

If Lenagan feels the need to stress that it's not a cheap option, my thoughts are that most Wigan fans will feel it is.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Ian Lenegan is turning into Yoda.

"Go to the NRL you must, but return and be inferior you will be"

Without wishing to be harsh, I think it's more a case of, "your powers are weak old man" with him now.

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Great to see a British coach given a chance at a major club.  I hope Peet is a massive success.

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Shaun Wane will get a bit of pocket money until after the World Cup has finished and will be in charge for 2023.

How can I read one thing and think two opposite thoughts, which I did, and summed up above.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

How do Wigan fans feel about a rookie coach having a big beast (literally as well as figuratively) like Shaun Wane rumbling around in the background itching to get his hands on the coaching reins?

How long will it be before Matt Peet is conveniently moved aside for Wane? After the World Cup would be the obvious shout.

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

How long will it be before Matt Peet is conveniently moved aside for Wane? After the World Cup would be the obvious shout.

Probably sensible they are not unveiling this plan yet. As I remember the last grand coaching plan fell apart after a few weeks.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I have no issue with the appointment of Peet. He's been assistant coach and has the desire to be a head coach and has now followed the same path that Shaun Wane did. If you have someone at the club who you think would be a good head coach then why wouldn't you appoint them?

As our defence coach Peet is pretty much the only one of the coaching team from this year who was doing a good job. Will it work? Who knows! Coaching appointments can be a bit of a lottery. Success at one team doesn't automatically mean success at another. Success as a coach doesn't necessarily mean success as a head coach. Ultimately having the strongest team is the best way to be successful and that's why Peet probably won't succeed. He's being tasked with getting more from less and that's not very likely in any sport.

Hopefully Briers can help the team in attack and work on our kicking game and bring some improvements from what was served up this season. John Winder seemed to be the coach with the attacking/backs focus and he's moved on now so hopefully Briers and O'Loughlin will provide better results in that department.

2 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I have no issue with the appointment of Peet. He's been assistant coach and has the desire to be a head coach and has now followed the same path that Shaun Wane did. If you have someone at the club who you think would be a good head coach then why wouldn't you appoint them?

As our defence coach Peet is pretty much the only one of the coaching team from this year who was doing a good job. Will it work? Who knows! Coaching appointments can be a bit of a lottery. Success at one team doesn't automatically mean success at another. Success as a coach doesn't necessarily mean success as a head coach. Ultimately having the strongest team is the best way to be successful and that's why Peet probably won't succeed. He's being tasked with getting more from less and that's not very likely in any sport.

Hopefully Briers can help the team in attack and work on our kicking game and bring some improvements from what was served up this season. John Winder seemed to be the coach with the attacking/backs focus and he's moved on now so hopefully Briers and O'Loughlin will provide better results in that department.

when you say work on our kicking game what do you mean.

I assume its not about the skill of the person kicking as that's a basic skill for a player as in say the half back doing the kicking. If you want a good field kicking half back then its about recruiting a good skilled half back or scrum half, etc.  That is if those players are poor at filed kicking then they are a poor half back. I mean nobody would recruit a full back if he can't catch a high ball.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

when you say work on our kicking game what do you mean.

I assume its not about the skill of the person kicking as that's a basic skill for a player as in say the half back doing the kicking. If you want a good field kicking half back then its about recruiting a good skilled half back or scrum half, etc.  That is if those players are poor at filed kicking then they are a poor half back. I mean nobody would recruit a full back if he can't catch a high ball.

Kicking is definitely a skill that can be learned and developed over time. It's not a talent that is simply possessed without practice so if someone is poor at field kicking then it definitely can be improved with coaching.

However, I did mean in a broader sense. When it comes to kicking Harry Smith is incredibly skillful but this season he's been erratic at times and made some bad decisions. That's something that coaching can improve. Coaching can also help a half improve their organisation by directing the players into the best setup for a kick. The whole team has a role to play in having a good kicking game and that's where we can improve. Matty Smith had an excellent kicking game but once Wigan lost Harris and Deacon from the coaching staff his kicking game went downhill quickly. For whatever reason Lam has not had a positive effect on our playmakers. Maybe Lam was too much of a natural talent - it came easy to him so it's harder to teach others.

Archived