Wigan’s new coaching team

Davo5

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So according to some on here, Mr Wane is purposefully going to sabotage Mr Peets first season so he can take over in '23, get a life lads.

I don't think people have said that. I know I didn't

I think there is a valid discussion around the situation of a very successful former head coach returning to a club in an 'overseer' type role that, frankly, seems a bit undefined right now (at least, publicly)

It's a bit like if Derek had given the Director of Rugby role to Paul Rowley. Imperfect analogy obviously, but you must see how it is a talking point?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Padge said:

John Monie only played 48 top flight games over two seasons.

Didn't turn out to be a bad coach despite limited experience as a top flight player.

To inherit the Paramatta team of Groth, Ella, Cronin, Kenny, Stirling and Price from the master coach Jack Gibson was hardly a bad hand.

Wigan's greatest coach Graham Lowe also handed the 27-0 Wembley 1989 side on to Monie.

Granted Lowe had no playing career of note.

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

To inherit the Paramatta team of Groth, Ella, Cronin, Kenny, Stirling and Price from the master coach Jack Gibson was hardly a bad hand.

Wigan's greatest coach Graham Lowe also handed the 27-0 Wembley 1989 side on to Monie.

And Lindsay handed him Gene Miles, Martin Offiah, Frano Botica, Viaga Tuigamala et al. 

Just now, Wigan Riversider said:

And Monie didn't rate Botica at first.

Nobody did, not even Botica.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Wigan Riversider said:

His greatest coaching moment IMHO was informing the team at HT in the dressing room at OT Manchester 1990 that he had coached great half backs previously (Brett and Sterlo), Wigan were losing a CC semi against Saints and if Gregory was opting out then that was fine.

Andy Gregory stopped sulking as a result.

We won.

10 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

And Lindsay handed him Gene Miles, Martin Offiah, Frano Botica, Viaga Tuigamala et al. 

So its not how good you are, its the hand you are dealt.

Both these coaches had to have great skills in managing the ego explosions going on in their teams.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

So its not how good you are, its the hand you are dealt.

Both these coaches had to have great skills in managing the ego explosions going on in their teams.

He was a great coach you still have to win the cups. And for Wigan the cups were the problem half the time creating a backlog of fixtures at the end of each season. Getting Wigan back the title in 98 showed his metal because that side wasn't filled with superstars.

As pointed out above, Wane had no first team coaching experience when he took over as Wigan head coach, so this and a lack of playing experience doesn't doom Peet to fail.

I think we overread playing experience and quality when it comes to coaching.

I know nothing of Peet, in fact, I don't recall seeing him before! We'll see how he gets on!

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He was a great coach you still have to win the cups. And for Wigan the cups were the problem half the time creating a backlog of fixtures at the end of each season. Getting Wigan back the title in 98 showed his metal because that side wasn't filled with superstars.

Great applies to Graham Lowe IMHO.

Lowe revolutionalised Wigan in 1986-89.

Monie lost and won one GF with Paramatta.

Good luck to him, good to see someone appoint from within, British and not just go for a name. RL falls for that too often, you don’t have to be a great player to be a great manager, soccer proves this often. Mourinho never even kicked a ball…

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the combined salaries of Peet, Wane, O'Loughlin and Briers means it isn't actually a "cheap" option.

I quite like the balance, if they can get the dynamic of the different roles right.

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the combined salaries of Peet, Wane, O'Loughlin and Briers means it isn't actually a "cheap" option.

I quite like the balance, if they can get the dynamic of the different roles right.

Add on the cost of the interpreters and it's certainly not a cheap option.

18 hours ago, OMEGA said:

So what?

whats your point here?

Settle Petal.

I simply asked a question as I do not know much about him.

I am not having a go at him in any way, I just wanted to know more about his background if that is ok with you.

15 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Did Kristian Woolf play rugby league at any level? He played for South’s Magpies in Brisbane between 1996 and 1997 but has been just a bit more successful as a coach than Kieran Cunningham who played nearly 500 games for St.Helens. Great players don’t always make great coaches and sometimes the best coaches never played the game at the top level. Will Matt Peet turn out to be a great coach? Only time will tell.

I just asked a question.

There are some Wigan hair triggers on this thread.

13 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

So Monie coached him to be a very good Rugby League player. Botica himself was that aware of his RL skills, compared to the rest of the Wigan team, that he developed his goalkicking to such a level to make it easier to get into the team.

I see the logic of it. Peet has coached a lot of very good Wigan junior teams, Wane will make sure everyone knows what is expected, and Briers can concentrate on the attack. The skill set looks right to me. It does require Peet to step up and take control though, as he now has the biggest job in world sport. 

I'm slightly surprised by how many Wigan fans, on here and on social media, have looked at Warrington's attack over the last few years and thought, "I hope Briers can bring over some of that."

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, Jonty58 said:

Settle Petal.

I simply asked a question as I do not know much about him.

I am not having a go at him in any way, I just wanted to know more about his background if that is ok with you.

You asked the same question in 2 separate posts, you didn’t ask anything else about Peet so you weren’t trying that hard to find out what his background is.

Its obvious what you were driving at so there’s no need to pretend otherwise, flower!

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I'm slightly surprised by how many Wigan fans, on here and on social media, have looked at Warrington's attack over the last few years and thought, "I hope Briers can bring over some of that."

Hopefully it wasn't Price who was the issue after all 😆

Archived