Sun 10 Oct: MPG: Toulouse Olympique v Featherstone Rovers KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique by 13 points or more
    • Toulouse Olympique by 7 to 12 points
    • Toulouse Olympique by 1 to 6 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 1 to 6 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 7 to 12 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/21 at 17:30

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The bookies seem fairly sure Toulouse will win, I’m a bit disappointed with that as I was planning on backing Toulouse, with it offering such a small return it doesn’t seem worth it. 

You could risk backing them on the handicap? Though again the bookmakers are taking no chances with -12. 

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I hope TO win, as that would give the wider game a boost, but if Fev win, I won’t be heart broken. It’s sport not the FTSE100. 

wider game a boost?? i dont think people realise the game is dead around the traditional areas, thats were any boost is desperately needed, no amateur teams in Knottingley, Pontefract, Airedale and Selby district there used to be over 50, the game is fkd Rovers are needed more than youl ever realise

17 minutes ago, gingdong said:

wider game a boost?? i dont think people realise the game is dead around the traditional areas, thats were any boost is desperately needed, no amateur teams in Knottingley, Pontefract, Airedale and Selby district there used to be over 50, the game is fkd Rovers are needed more than youl ever realise

I think you make a good point.

If we lost the traditional heartlands we would lose the game. There wouldn't be sufficient players coming through. 

I think Saturdays' attendance showed that a small team from Batley can attract a large crowd to a large city like Toulouse. It was a success for both sides that can be built on.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The bookies seem fairly sure Toulouse will win, I’m a bit disappointed with that as I was planning on backing Toulouse, with it offering such a small return it doesn’t seem worth it. 

ive been backing justin sangare to score an anytime try for the last few weeks.hes 11/4 with skybet.hes scored for the last 4 matches

1 hour ago, gingdong said:

So having Featherstone in Superleague will suddenly transform amateur RL in an area that already has 2 Superleague teams.

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So having Featherstone in Superleague will suddenly transform amateur RL in an area that already has 2 Superleague teams.

Featherstone cheerleaders tell us they draw fans in big numbers from those towns, why hasn’t the club done anything to support the grassroots game in Knottingley, Pontefract, Airedale and Selby? Why haven’t Wakefield or Castleford? This just confirms to me we need to look forward to a future with teams in new areas, not look to a past with teams in traditional rugby league towns.

I think a lot will depend on how the game is reffed.  Both teams will try and slow down the play the ball when they are defending, loads of wrestling with 3rd man on top until the defensive line is set.  Both teams will throw their arms up at the ref when attacking, complaining about the slow ptb. If the officials clamp down on it and let the game flow, one of the teams will win. Otherwise, the other team will win. 

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The other 2 do nothing they have neither the facilities or the will rovers through there foundation have got ackworth Jaguars up and running again that deserves a place on its own for me

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Featherstone cheerleaders tell us they draw fans in big numbers from those towns, why hasn’t the club done anything to support the grassroots game in Knottingley, Pontefract, Airedale and Selby? Why haven’t Wakefield or Castleford? This just confirms to me we need to look forward to a future with teams in new areas, not look to a past with teams in traditional rugby league towns.

Rovers do a hell of a lot more than Wakey & Cas do. Lions and Ackworth Jaguars both get support from Fev. They also do way more work in local schools than either of our "Super" neighbours.

We can't fix local rugby league over night, but we're at least trying.

For most sides, the support needed is financial. As no money goes to grass roots anymore, it just gets swallowed up by supergreed clubs. 

Possibly the development area's outside of the heartlands get some support, but if we continue to concentrate on top down development and leave the foundations to crumble, there will be no game in 20 years.

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well bet on Featherstone to win, then if they do you are in the money. If they lose, you are still happy as Toulouse will have fulfilled your dream.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Rovers do a hell of a lot more than Wakey & Cas do. Lions and Ackworth Jaguars both get support from Fev. They also do way more work in local schools than either of our "Super" neighbours.

We can't fix local rugby league over night, but we're at least trying.

Don’t know enough about Fev or Cas to comment on them but the Wakefield Trinity Foundation do brilliant work within the City and district.  

Up the Trin 

It would be interesting to know who the Chairmen in SL would want ( not for the points) to go up. We would generate more money for them with plenty of fans following Rovers away then Toulouse would ( obviously) and not as far to travel. 

4 hours ago, TrueBull said:

I think a lot will depend on how the game is reffed.  Both teams will try and slow down the play the ball when they are defending, loads of wrestling with 3rd man on top until the defensive line is set.  Both teams will throw their arms up at the ref when attacking, complaining about the slow ptb. If the officials clamp down on it and let the game flow, one of the teams will win. Otherwise, the other team will win. 

Are you getting mixed up with St Helens on the other thread?

38 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It would be interesting to know who the Chairmen in SL would want ( not for the points) to go up. We would generate more money for them with plenty of fans following Rovers away then Toulouse would ( obviously) and not as far to travel. 

Wigan v Leigh derby drew 9.2k, Wigan v Catalans drew 12.8k

Away fans are only important if the home fans don't give the game a swerve because they are easy beats. It is a myth that clubs bringing 500 fans swells attendances. If they are struggling clubs home fans often take a game off and save some cash.

The interest for fans mainly lies in big games, hence why Featherstone's biggest home attendance was Toulouse and not Halifax or Bradford.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think if you did some investigating you'll find Featherstone do a lot for the local area, be it in schools or towns. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Away fans are only important if the home fans don't give the game a swerve because they are easy beats. It is a myth that clubs bringing 500 fans swells attendances. If they are struggling clubs home fans often take a game off and save some cash.

The interest for fans mainly lies in big games, hence why Featherstone's biggest home attendance was Toulouse and not Halifax or Bradford.

Quite.

It's not the visiting supporters that make a difference, and to be honest, not many Toulouse fans will be able to afford more than a couple of games away in a season.  

Away fans are important if there is a following TV audience. I can guarantee that come Toulouse reaching the heady heights of super League then there will be a massive increase in fanbase here in France.

Two good teams who score tries for fun and defend with a passion so Sunday's final will all come down to one thing

" WHO BLINKS FIRST " 😀

9 hours ago, gingdong said:

Some would say Toulouse is heartland and it looks like its growing to me.

Oh and junior rugby is booming in the north west so maybe its the failings of yorkshire teams and academys thats the issue

After watching the earlier game between the two sides and weighing up the prospective line-ups for Sunday I think that Fev will win because of the inclusion of Chisholm. Walker and Bussey, but most of all the fact that Craig Hall will be back on the wing. In the earlier game the Fev back line was disjointed and largely ineffectual, whereas on Sunday it will be firing on all cylinders.

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

Let's take a better example. A local game against a similarly successful side to Catalans and compare.

Wigan v St Helens attendance was 16,390.

There were 3,000 away fans. So clearly this was the difference and swelled the attendance accordingly. 

I think where your argument falls down is that the clubs that tend to take most away fans are usually the most successful. Leeds, St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, The Hull clubs. None of these are games that a fan would swerve either. 

Toronto were an exception as they could attract a lot of neutral fans so the gates were higher than usual. 

I understand your point and I am not being critical as I  support a club that hasn't a high number of away fans. But economically they obviously increase the attendance and gate receipts.

Archived