Sun 10 Oct: MPG: Toulouse Olympique v Featherstone Rovers KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique by 13 points or more
    • Toulouse Olympique by 7 to 12 points
    • Toulouse Olympique by 1 to 6 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 1 to 6 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 7 to 12 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/21 at 17:30

Good luck to both teams. Whatever the result I hope people who claim to love our sport will cease talking Fev down with sneering comments. They're a well run club which has improved it's ground and is at the heart of its community. If you think we should have a SL made up of big city clubs or lots of foreign teams that's fine. I happen to agree that Toulouse in SL would be good for the game as a whole and has potentially bigger benefits than Fev going up but we don't need to put Fev down to make that point.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Good luck to both teams. Whatever the result I hope people who claim to love our sport will cease talking Fev down with sneering comments. They're a well run club which has improved it's ground and is at the heart of its community. If you think we should have a SL made up of big city clubs or lots of foreign teams that's fine. I happen to agree that Toulouse in SL would be good for the game as a whole and has potentially bigger benefits than Fev going up but we don't need to put Fev down to make that point.

Very well put Colin.

7 hours ago, Niels said:

Let's take a better example. A local game against a similarly successful side to Catalans and compare.

Wigan v St Helens attendance was 16,390.

There were 3,000 away fans. So clearly this was the difference and swelled the attendance accordingly. 

I think where your argument falls down is that the clubs that tend to take most away fans are usually the most successful. Leeds, St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, The Hull clubs. None of these are games that a fan would swerve either. 

Toronto were an exception as they could attract a lot of neutral fans so the gates were higher than usual. 

I understand your point and I am not being critical as I  support a club that hasn't a high number of away fans. But economically they obviously increase the attendance and gate receipts.

Unfortunately, as with most contentious discussions around expansion, people go to extremes, to the point where away fans are almost seen as a negative and any talk of them is seen as being a backward flat capper. 

In reality, we should do all we can to attract away fans, and if you can average 1k a match of these, that is the equivalent of an extra game or two (or three for some clubs). It is a not-insignificant amount of ticket sales. 

But, at the same time, it shouldn't be given undue prominence financially. 

Away fans are important as part of the match day experience for me, the atmosphere at a Wire v Salford game is far better than a Wire v Catalans game, even when the latter has a bigger crowd. We shouldn't see that as a negative. 

But as I say, it is a factor and not the most important, so whilst Catalans don't bring away fans, they tick most other boxes by far. But I think we need to be careful of watering down the league to a point where we lose atmosphere - which is something that attracts many people and is somethingbthey have been brought up on. Local derbies are generally seen as attractive good things for a reason. 

Thankfully, we are some way off 'excluding' away fans, and long may that continue. 

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Let's take a better example. A local game against a similarly successful side to Catalans and compare.

Wigan v St Helens attendance was 16,390.

There were 3,000 away fans. So clearly this was the difference and swelled the attendance accordingly. 

I think where your argument falls down is that the clubs that tend to take most away fans are usually the most successful. Leeds, St Helens, Wigan, Warrington, The Hull clubs. None of these are games that a fan would swerve either. 

Toronto were an exception as they could attract a lot of neutral fans so the gates were higher than usual. 

I understand your point and I am not being critical as I  support a club that hasn't a high number of away fans. But economically they obviously increase the attendance and gate receipts.

My point was the interest is mainly for big games so when Wigan or Saints play a Leigh, Fev, Wakefield, Salford, Huddersfield etc. The drop of of 1-2k home fans who give this game the swerve because of lowly opposition is not negated by the 300-500 fans from the lowly opposition who think they are 'swelling' the home team's coffers.

This is a general point but for someone who has watched the game for a few decades now it almost certainly is a myth of an argument from those newly promoted clubs. Look at the attendances when Doncaster were promoted in 1994 for example. 27 years later it is no different.

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

My point was the interest is mainly for big games so when Wigan or Saints play a Leigh, Fev, Wakefield, Salford, Huddersfield etc. The drop of of 1-2k home fans who give this game the swerve because of lowly opposition is not negated by the 300-500 fans from the lowly opposition who think they are 'swelling' the home team's coffers.

This is a general point but for someone who has watched the game for a few decades now it almost certainly is a myth of an argument from those newly promoted clubs. Look at the attendances when Doncaster were promoted in 1994 for example. 27 years later it is no different.

That's a wounding example, as of course it was Batley v Doncaster to decide who was promoted.😊

I still think Batley will win when I watch it on You Tube😓

6 hours ago, Colin James said:

Well said Colin. You are 100% correct.

The important thing here is that the winner goes up. Doesn't really matter who it is or where they are based. It's a sporting contest.

Obviously I hope it's Fev. 

18 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Don’t know enough about Fev or Cas to comment on them but the Wakefield Trinity Foundation do brilliant work within the City and district.  

Up the Trin 

they did brilliant stealth work when they pinched selby warriors ladies team

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Poor do that cocker 🤣. I've been in a reight mornge since I finally made the decision to decline to travel. Proper got blonks on

Look on the brightside Robin, you can go out with your mates to celebrate post game, get piffed up, then have the comfort of sleeping in your own bed as long as you want to.👍

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Look on the brightside Robin, you can go out with your mates to celebrate post game, get piffed up, then have the comfort of sleeping in your own bed as long as you want to.👍

Should featherstone win, I have the choice of a 6yr old Paulliac or a 12 Yr old cask strength clynelish to open. I've booked Monday off in anticipation.😊

3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Confirmed that Fev forward Luke Cooper is not able to travel to the game as he didn't get his passport renewed on time. 

I have no idea how important he is to the Featherstone team and whether he would have played 

Deary me.

9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Confirmed that Fev forward Luke Cooper is not able to travel to the game as he didn't get his passport renewed on time. 

I have no idea how important he is to the Featherstone team and whether he would have played 

Big loss. Not the biggest middle, but a ferocious tackler and he’s chief energy officer.

it’s like having a fan on the pitch.

Proper nice bloke too. Gutted for him.

20 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Deary me.

That was my initial thought. At first I thought it was a prank. 

This match is for the right to be in SL with so much at stake, given that there's a French team.in the Championship you would think that all players would have their passports sorted. 

And what was the Featherstone leadership saying a few weeks ago that their players were ready and willing to play Toulouse in France  so it turns out they wasn't? 

I say let's give France A chance! But I hope Fev win, although I'll miss our away day for a season...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

13 hours ago, The Daddy said:

All he had to do was to take a hour and half trip up to Durham and get it renewed while he waited. It's about 20 mins process at the passport office. 

Archived