Sat 9 Oct: SLGF: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons by 13 points or more
    • Catalans Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/21 at 17:30

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dkw said:

I don't think a ref could give that as a certain try as he's getting tackled. 

But the Tackle is a foul. A penalty try can't be negated by the fact that had he not fouled he would have stopped a try. 

The only thing that should prevent it would be if there was another player coming in cover. 

Just now, andyscoot said:

On the penalty try - if they judge Makinson to have fouled, do they effectively take him out of play and run it as if he wasn't there?

They have to. You can't give him the benefit of not fouling. Otherwise you will literally never have a penalty try as you would create a scenario where the fouling player does not foul.

Just now, Dave T said:

They have to. You can't give him the benefit of not fouling. Otherwise you will literally never have a penalty try as you would create a scenario where the fouling player does not foul.

Then absolutely you'd have to conclude that was a penalty try, there was nobody else near.

Though it seems the video ref doesn't think of it that way.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The question needs to be why wouldn't he have scored? Remove Makinson from that, nobody was around. 

Good point actually, i can only think the initial point of contact saved Saints.

Just now, andyscoot said:

Then absolutely you'd have to conclude that was a penalty try, there was nobody else near.

Though it seems the video ref doesn't think of it that way.

It's a shame we don't get the VR commentary as the clowns on Sky don't help with the discussion. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Good point actually, i can only think the initial point of contact saved Saints.

I suppose thee may be something in that technically. The legal part of the hit was probably enough to halt the try (or put doubt on it) and then going up into the face was the foul. 

For me we need to be brave on penalising foul play in those situations. 

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Wow, how relieving is this penalty.

Saints we’re getting on top there.

Was huge, we’re seeing a bit of a replay of the opening 20 of first half - Saints making metres, Catalan struggling again.

When will Mourgue come on?

Archived