Sat 9 Oct: SLGF: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons by 13 points or more
    • Catalans Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/21 at 17:30

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Isn't what happened a newish interpretation? It used to be a penalty for incorrect play the ball. Now I think the refs think it is an easy call as it's not a penalty, but a Saints player got involved after the Tackle was complete, trapped Tomkins head between his knees and got the ball as a reward. That hasn't been happening for 15 years. 

The new interpretation is that players playing the ball have to have balance and control and the ref pinged Tomkins because he didn't have balance and control.

But the point I am making (irrespective of whether that decision was right or wrong) is that we cannot complain about any play the ball decisions when that part of our game has been a disgrace for such a long time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunbar said:

The new interpretation is that players playing the ball have to have balance and control and the ref pinged Tomkins because he didn't have balance and control.

But the point I am making (irrespective of whether that decisions was right or wrong) is that we cannot complain about any the ball decisions when that part of our game has been a disgrace for such a long time.

In that case I agree with you. 

On the first para though we see plenty penalties for interference in that situation. And we see plenty poor ptb's ignored. I think that's why it's such a big call, it's not unusual for the other two outcomes there. 

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What will get forgotten in the next couple of days, is that had the ref allowed it to play on it would've still almost certainly finished 12-10 to Saints.

Or he’d could have made the correct decision and penalised the Saints of layer.

7 minutes ago, Tabby said:

You can’t PTB whilst in that situation. He doesn’t play it he gets the penalty. 

You can't hold the ball carrier's head between your knees when you weren't even involved in the Tackle. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you are making a decision on an incorrect ptb, and the (non) tackler has the guy in a headlock with his knees, of course that is controversial. 

It's not givee it to Saints or ignore. 

The uncontroversial decision was to play on.

Giving it to Tomkins was a soft penalty at a crucial point.

Giving it against Tomkins was a very bizarre call.

Therefore, had the ref not intervened as I don't think he should have, the game almost certainly still ends 12-10 to Saints.

I think Sky did an excellent job covering the GF, apart from a couple of the 'experts' - but it'd be nice to have a little but of match analysis at the end. 

They really captured the atmosphere well though and the celebrations. 

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

The uncontroversial decision was to play on.

Giving it to Tomkins was a soft penalty at a crucial point.

Giving it against Tomkins was a very bizarre call.

Therefore, had the ref not intervened as I don't think he should have, the game almost certainly still ends 12-10 to Saints.

Maybe, but I think you are playing the call down. Catalans have possession in the Saints half on the 4th tackle with 2.5 mins left. That call gives Saints the ball and the turnover happens on Catalans 10m line with 80 seconds left. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You can't hold the ball carrier's head between your knees when you weren't even involved in the Tackle. 

You also can't tackle with the knees to the head. Eight point try all day, but not on here.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Or he’d could have made the correct decision and penalised the Saints of layer.

There are probably 30 decisions in a game like that one that a ref could/could've given, I'm sure Catalans got some calls for them that should've been a penalty.

Had the ref allowed play on, I doubt a single person on this thread would've mentioned it.

I wanted Catalans to win and was annoyed by the call as it effectively ended the game, but it was hardly like an incorrect forward pass call when a player is straight through or something.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe, but I think you are playing the call down. Catalans have possession in the Saints half on the 4th tackle with 2.5 mins left. That call gives Saints the ball and the turnover happens on Catalans 10m line with 80 seconds left. 

Cats had had quite a lot of position in attack in the 2nd half and hadn't looked particularly likely to score. Their single try was relatively fortunate.

It was 95%+ that the set would've ended without a try.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think he got that one wrong, but I also think he got call wrong a few minutes earlier when it blatantly came of a Catalans player but he gave a drop out for saints, but that's not getting mentioned at all.

Swings and roundabouts...

7 minutes ago, Tabby said:

He doesn’t stand to play the ball. So shouldn’t have played it.

He does stand up. His feet are up and his hands are off the ground. 

I'd add an image but I can't compress it enough. There is no offence from Tomkins. At all. 

Archived