Sat 9 Oct: SLGF: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons by 13 points or more
    • Catalans Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/21 at 17:30

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

Video ref obviously felt that they couldn't prove he would have scored, which is dubious as there was nobody else near Yaha

It’s appalling. If their argument is “if he hadn’t been high tackled he would have been tackled legally and not scored” then that’s a game of hypotheticals - and you could avoid awarding every penalty try by floating a legal hypothetical. He was fouled, it happened, which prevented a certain try. There was no other player capable of making a tackle to prevent the try, other than the person who prevented the try by committing a foul. Therefore, it’s a penalty try. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Sure this was covered an hour ago but I’m not wading through 23 pages…. Anyone manage to explain why Catalans didn’t get given a penalty try? Found that odd 

Try page 17 and a bit of 21

5 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It’s appalling. If their argument is “if he hadn’t been high tackled he would have been tackled legally and not scored” then that’s a game of hypotheticals - and you could avoid awarding every penalty try by floating a legal hypothetical. He was fouled, it happened, which prevented a certain try. There was no other player capable of making a tackle to prevent the try, other than the person who prevented the try by committing a foul. Therefore, it’s a penalty try. 

If Makinson hadn't made contact with the head then he would have gone right over Yaha. It's precisely the foul contact that stopped Yaha scoring.

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That was a truly bizarre decision, it wasn't even close.

As others have said, a captain's challenge would be very helpful in this regard.

Yeah, surprised we don't have it, works well in Australia and stops players moaning when the ref can just ask "do you want to challenge it?".

38 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Can argue about particular decisions all night, but in my opinion the ref did a good job and managed to avoid being influenced by the constant arm waving from the team from Merseyside.

Liked the fact 6 again kept to a minimum,i hate that rule.I thought the Ref let the game flow and the linesman and video ref could have made wrong decisions.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So a kickable penalty with 2 minutes to go wouldn’t have done much to decide the game,ok.

You are making the mistake of thinking a penalty had to be given when it didn't. It wasn't a ball strip where the ball has come out and the referee has to make a decision one way or another.

The play the ball had already happened, and no decision was by far the most obvious call. It wasn't a clear Catalans penalty and it certainly wasn't a clear Saints penalty.

Most referees would've played on. In this scenario, very little was lost for Cats and it wasn't significantly game changing.

Just got home from watching  this in the local rugby league club, not willing to trawl through 24 pages of opinion on the game but just wanted to say what a fantastic advertisement of our sport. After it finished the television in the club was switched on to the England football game and it was like switching to slow motion.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

55 minutes ago, Damien said:

If Makinson hadn't made contact with the head then he would have gone right over Yaha. It's precisely the foul contact that stopped Yaha scoring.

I totally agree

Well before the match I was gutted not to be able to go as planned tonight as I was contact to a covid case so thought it best to stay away just in case Im carrying the bug. However, Im glad I didnt go now (and someone else enjoyed my ticket) as Im not sure I could have coped with that tension without having a sofa to hide behind! I was of the view before the match that Saints winning was 50:50 and at no time during that match did that change for the better. In fact in the second half I thought Catalan dominated us. And then, just as we have done all season, when we seemed to be beaten and our ill discipline is driving me to distraction, we pull a try out of the bag. We also managed to defend our line a few times tonight which must be a first for this season! It was a brutal and engrossing game which I am very glad and very relieved to have won! I just hope there were lots of newbie speccies out there who enjoyed it too.

I didn't see the game but I am delighted for St Helens. Particularly pleased for Laughlan Coote in his last game. Also for Alex and for Kevin who signed off in great style. 

Winning three in a row they can be called a great side. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

No, if you jump from the field and get the ball back in before it hits the ground its play on.

In this case though coote went for a stroll of the pitch then threw it back in, which was missed by the Lino, incredibly 

what's worse is his foot touched the line on the way out as well

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But it still was an incorrect call that decided the outcome,haven’t a clue what your last point has to do with anything.

if anything he should have let the play the ball go not called a knock on or penalty. in the end he made a call that affected the game and didnt need to. I doubt an Aussie ref would have done  

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

The touch save by coote, just to clear the rule up for me, I always thought that if the ball crossed the line in the air it was in touch, it doesn't need to touch the ground,so if you jump from the field of play the ball is still out! 

you can jump from the field of play and bring the ball back into play as long as your feet don't touch the grund

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

Clearly the ref had a big impact as has been discussed.

One thing which struck me on the penalty try was if it had been sent up as Try would it still not have been given? And if it was the on field call which was influential then it is example number 50,000 of why we need to get rid of this abysmal system instead of just letting the video ref call it as he sees it.

52 minutes ago, IM2 said:

if anything he should have let the play the ball go not called a knock on or penalty. in the end he made a call that affected the game and didnt need to. I doubt an Aussie ref would have done  

And we've jumped the shark....

Just finished watching on delay. As someone supporting Catalans, St Helens more than deserving victors. 

Garcia was immense all game as he has been all year, clearly the best 13 in the league. McIlorum had his best game of the year too after being fairly average for most of the season.

Probably the best I've seen a side contain Walmsley this season which is really a credit to Saints being able to win without his usual devastating runs in the middle. 

The touch, the punch, penalty try, not to mention two or three more contentious decisions (the last foul whistled on Sam Tomkins). there is something not to be happy about when a match is played with 2 points of difference

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

9 minutes ago, fcl said:

The touch, the punch, penalty try, not to mention two or three more contentious decisions (the last foul whistled on Sam Tomkins). there is something not to be happy about when a match is played with 2 points of difference

Yeah, the decision not to award an 8 point try and a yellow card for Yaha's knee on Naiqama in the act of scoring was quite contentious, I agree.

An excellent game of rugby league tonight I thought. Both sides played to a high quality and you couldn't have complained if the result went the other way.

What impressed me about us is our composure. Lose a man, concede a try and no panic. Catalans turning the screw near the end and we defended brilliantly. A total turnaround from our past teams who lost control when under pressure. Woolf deserves immense credit for this.

Catalans were very good too and have shown the potential to be in finals again going forward and the potential to win them too.

Archived