Sat 9 Oct: SLGF: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons by 13 points or more
    • Catalans Dragons by 7 to 12 points
    • Catalans Dragons by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/21 at 17:30

1 hour ago, Mark S said:

I am 99% certain that any successful business person would look at the state of the game and it’s finances and advise that we focus on SL. The NRL is proof that we don’t need promotion and relegation.

The Premier League is proof that we do need P & R 

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mark S said:

I am 99% certain that any successful business person would look at the state of the game and it’s finances and advise that we focus on SL. The NRL is proof that we don’t need promotion and relegation.

And Football is proof we do, the Aussie mindset is very different to that of the Brit, and the major team sports here all have it - there is a reason why!

A true sensible all game approach is required and that may need another split to achieve, we cannot throw money at clubs whose sole ambition is survival but we cannot cast them adrift and continue to ignore participation and amateur rl

53 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Nope, who ever finished top got the league leaders trophy and then there was a play off to determine the champions. Like Dewsbury in 1973 they were champions but didn't finish top of the league.

Wasn't Dewsbury's win in 73 the last Championship play-off final? After that the table topping team were champions with the Premiership (play-off) being a separate trophy/competition up until the Super League play-offs were introduced in 98.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah, a total turnaround from relying on the officials to give St Helens those important decisions.

I’m not biased but if I was trapped in a burning house and St Helen’s Fire brigade turned up, I’d surely perish in a blaze of 70’s carpet fumes and melting ceiling tiles- but at least it would be an honourable death.  Ultimately, that’s better than giving St Helen’s any credit whatsoever.

Not even joking.

It's posts like this that make me said that RL Meltdown isn't still active on Twitter.

19 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I expected it to be low, but I don’t think we can take anything out of it really, as I say some people are still wary of attending bog games and weve got a team from another country which means  travel issues because of covid.

A mate of mine who is a Saints season ticket holder hasn’t been to a game this season as she just can’t risk the chance of catching Covid. 

22 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I wanted Saints to lose anyway. But this clown from St Helens who just held the queue up at the bar for ages has doubled that. #fuming 

I had a clown from St Helens sat next too me also, he was another one who couldn’t handle his ale. I think he thought he was a Nigel Farage type but a fat version. He told me too “stand up for Jerusalem”, i asked him why and he said “because you should, and i hope you know all the lyrics. If you don’t have a look on google now”. So i sat down for the Jerusalem thing because before the game Saints fan’s were singing oh sit down. 
As Catalans were coming off the pitch after their warmup the said drunk said “do you see them there(pointing at Catalans), cowards they surrendered in 1945 ?”. I said “bloody hell i know i heard about that on Allo Allo”, he replied “ha yeah i know the soft b*******”. 
This makes me wonder why some fan’s have too make utter tools of themselves with getting blitzed before a game, aren’t they better waiting till after the game. 

13 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I had a clown from St Helens sat next too me also, he was another one who couldn’t handle his ale. I think he thought he was a Nigel Farage type but a fat version. He told me too “stand up for Jerusalem”, i asked him why and he said “because you should, and i hope you know all the lyrics. If you don’t have a look on google now”. So i sat down for the Jerusalem thing because before the game Saints fan’s were singing oh sit down. 
As Catalans were coming off the pitch after their warmup the said drunk said “do you see them there(pointing at Catalans), cowards they surrendered in 1945 ?”. I said “bloody hell i know i heard about that on Allo Allo”, he replied “ha yeah i know the soft b*******”. 
This makes me wonder why some fan’s have too make utter tools of themselves with getting blitzed before a game, aren’t they better waiting till after the game. 

Surely this wasn't a Saints fan , it must have been a Fev fan , surely , anyway . I wouldn't stand up to sing anything that I didn't like , Jerusalem is a very boring hymn and I haven't got a clue what any of the words are .

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

Nope, who ever finished top got the league leaders trophy and then there was a play off to determine the Ichampions. Like Dewsbury in 1973 they were champions but didn't finish top of the league.

I think you'll find that was the last year that happened until the advent of SL

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

Nope, who ever finished top got the league leaders trophy and then there was a play off to determine the champions. Like Dewsbury in 1973 they were champions but didn't finish top of the league.

I think they finished 8th in a top 8 play off i may be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.They came to Fev and beat us easily in the play offs.Didn't they beat Leeds in the final if so i went to the game.

4 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think they finished 8th in a top 8 play off i may be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.They came to Fev and beat us easily in the play offs.Didn't they beat Leeds in the final if so i went to the game.

They beat Leeds at Odsal in the final having finished 8th in the table, but the play offs were competed for by the top 16(!) out of a 30 team league.

6 hours ago, Mark S said:

I do 

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

82 , Leigh 

21 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Surely this wasn't a Saints fan , it must have been a Fev fan , surely , anyway . I wouldn't stand up to sing anything that I didn't like , Jerusalem is a very boring hymn and I haven't got a clue what any of the words are .

A hymn is that what it was Sidi. The fella who hated the “French surrendering cowards of 45”, kept looking down at me whilst he was singing. It’s as if he wanted me too stand up and applaud him because he knew all the words. 
After some of the drunken behaviour of Saturday id be happy for the GF KO to be brought forward to 11am.  

On 09/10/2021 at 20:17, Nate90 said:

It's so tedious seeing the same winners all the time. I'm absolutely gutted for Catalans they have played so well all season. Hopefully Toulouse can raise a smile tomorrow 

Saints are so inconsiderate, i hate them. 

On 09/10/2021 at 21:29, Maximus Decimus said:

That was a truly bizarre decision, it wasn't even close.

As others have said, a captain's challenge would be very helpful in this regard.

I wouldn’t want a captain’s challenge only because a match takes so long nowadays. Ganson & the RFL need to sort out the ruck area and correct PTB’s even they must see it’s shambolic (or do they). The number of stoppages are becoming tedious now, it seems that they’ll stop for anything and what happened too the blood bin. Will the RFL bring any new rules for next season regarding blood bins, and stoppages because their No7 needs another tie up for his left sock ?. 

On 10/10/2021 at 00:53, RayCee said:

I picked saints to win by 1-6 points. Can I prove it? No, but trust me I did. 😉

Great game although I listened to Radio Merseyside on the Beeb so for any contentious calls I can't comment without actually seeing them. Hopefully on a highlights video later I will get a view. 

Was Alan let’s av a loook at the tactics now Rooney commentating ?. 

On 10/10/2021 at 09:23, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'd love go an NFL game, it's rare so an attraction.

Same three teams winning all the main RL Trophies isn't rare or attractive to neutrals 

I guess depends what you mean main RL trophies... but lets not forget that 7 different clubs have won the leadership/top of the league shield.  If we think that it shows competitiveness then that is an achievement.  We of course as a sport don't help by down playing it as the hub cap... 

In the last 4 seasons only 2 clubs have won the Premier League... In the last 16 years only five clubs won PL and if we take away teams that only won once then only 3 clubs won majority of Premier League in those 16 years.  It doesn't seem to be a problem in soccer... but we in RL seem to get obsessed and want to level down rather than look to other clubs to improve to match the best.

On 10/10/2021 at 08:41, Northern Eel said:

I’m sure the vast majority of folk are. Walking around with my young family in Catalans gear garnered a range of responses, many nice, but some along the lines of ‘Catalans are W*%nkers’, right in our faces. Neanderthal idiots. That’s all it is. Bumped into Jonny Vegas who had some light-hearted banter with the kids, just how it should be! 

One major observation for me was the distinct lack of other club colours compared to previous years. Did you get the same impression? 

On 10/10/2021 at 08:41, Northern Eel said:

I’m sure the vast majority of folk are. Walking around with my young family in Catalans gear garnered a range of responses, many nice, but some along the lines of ‘Catalans are W*%nkers’, right in our faces. Neanderthal idiots. That’s all it is. Bumped into Jonny Vegas who had some light-hearted banter with the kids, just how it should be! 

One major observation for me was the distinct lack of other club colours compared to previous years. Did you get the same impression? 

As we were making our way back to our transport there were two very angry French lads who id imagine were the worst for having one too many drinks. Porta-loos had been set out ready for the Manchester run, but the two French youngsters then decided to start punching the doors on these loo’s. One of them was so angry he started trying to move one of them and tip it over. But it was to heavy for him, i just hope there wasn’t someone in the loo trying to have a peaceful No2. You meet some amazing characters at a RL game, characters that you regret bumping into. 

On 10/10/2021 at 09:23, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'd love go an NFL game, it's rare so an attraction.

Same three teams winning all the main RL Trophies isn't rare or attractive to neutrals 

How long does an American Football go on for, i believe there is a lot of stoppages. The bars must make a fortune, id imagine if you took any kids to the event you’d need too take out a mortgage with the prices they charge down at Spurs. 

Archived