My dredful speeling hand grummer

This is a bit embarrassing but you might’ve (or not) noticed my speeling & grummer is ruddy shocking. I asked one of my little granddaughters to/o explain the difference between to & too. She totally lost me, as she went on about preposition and all that stuff. I need something simpler so a thicko like myself can understand it without the properthingys, nouns. 
Fire away if you want to/o mock me as quite a few mates and family find it quite funny that my spelling is so poor. One of my nephews said “if your spelling was a football side you’d be the “Vale of Leithen” in the Lowland League”. I’d imagine then they mustn’t be very good ?. 

Too = excess. It's too hot, the rain's too heavy and that car costs too much.

To = towards. Can be followed by verbs, as in "to walk to the pub to get some beer," or locations - "to walk to the pub, then I will give the beer to Bill." 

To'o = a winger who plays for Panthers, as in "To'o dives over in the corner."

On 05/10/2021 at 23:09, Josef K said:

This is a bit embarrassing but you might’ve (or not) noticed my speeling & grummer is ruddy shocking. I asked one of my little granddaughters to/o explain the difference between to & too. She totally lost me, as she went on about preposition and all that stuff. I need something simpler so a thicko like myself can understand it without the properthingys, nouns. 

Some common errors are committed by people with otherwise excellent grammar and spelling.

Here`s a few of my favourites to try out on your granddaughter -

The difference in meaning of the pronouns "who" and "whom" is between subject and object. It has nothing to do with singular or plural.

"Infer" does not mean "Imply".

"Elide" does not mean "Conflate".

When someone says "homogenous", what they mean to say is "homogeneous".

The adjective corresponding to the adverb "gingerly" is also "gingerly", not "ginger".

If you can replace to with so its too.

Borrow me a fiver, it does my head in.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 07/10/2021 at 03:58, unapologetic pedant said:

Some common errors are committed by people with otherwise excellent grammar and spelling.

Here`s a few of my favourites to try out on your granddaughter -

The difference in meaning of the pronouns "who" and "whom" is between subject and object. It has nothing to do with singular or plural.

"Infer" does not mean "Imply".

"Elide" does not mean "Conflate".

When someone says "homogenous", what they mean to say is "homogeneous".

The adjective corresponding to the adverb "gingerly" is also "gingerly", not "ginger".

You compare "with". Not "to".

I was looking at the title of this thread "My dredful speeling hand grummer," and I remembered I used to have a hand grummer but stopped using it and got an electric one. Never had any problems with it speeling on me though.

21 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

A more pervasive error is "different to". Should always be "different from".

A very unique observation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That one rears its ugly head with dismaying frequency on this forum.

And there are more apostrophes gratuitously added to plurals than you could shake a stick at. 

There are those of us who indulge ourselves with far too many exclamation marks!!!!!

Should there be fewer or less threads like this.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, Johnoco said:

You would have loved a local spat that took place last year where I live. The local Co-op got new signage and it was declared ‘Idles’ Co-op’. The online arguing lasted for weeks and they eventually changed it to ‘Idle’s Co-op’ 

(Idle being the place in question)

I still aren’t 100% sure who was right….

The one they changed to is correct. The first version would denote the shop belonged to more than one Idle.

I suspect it`s via this type of confusion that possessive apostrophes began to be erroneously inserted into plural nouns ending in s which had no relation to possession.

BTW, in your luxurious locale you must be sick of jolly jibes about the Idle rich.

Today I learnt (well, yesterday) that "you" as a singular is a more recent addition to English than "they" as a singular.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Well the Idle Working Mens Club, used to have Michael Jackson and Uri Geller as guest members (among others) 

I will have to join up again. 

Is Eric a member?

Or is it his club?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived