Premier Sports TV Deal

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

There´s 100,000 people on OuRLeague. Let´s say a few 1000 are duplicates. We´d need 12,000 of us to pay 12 quid a month for that to essentially fund an RFL Championship of 14 at a decent part time level. Failing that, the RFL Youtube and Twitch channels should just stream one game a week.

200,000 now.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A two-year 'partnership' would suggest the mooted 2x10 Super League (or whatever restructure) wouldn't come in until 2024. Really?

In doubt anyone has considered that tbf, this is rugby league after all. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be interesting if a subscription is required, if Championship fans ditch Sky (SL) for this.

They have said offers will be available at a reduced price to Championship season ticket holders so I will subscribe when the offers are out. I will be subscribing to WatchNRL and Premier Sports and cancel Sky Sports

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

It'll be interesting to see when details of the deal get released/leaked. I hope that there is a decent price involved. It will be interesting to see viewing figures as well, especially behind a pay wall.

The viewing figures won't be anywhere neat those the Championship play offs got that some where shouting about. Probably not even a tenth.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So we´d need 5% of that to pay 12 quid a month and hold all the skills and infrstructure ourselves before a world cup that you can promote the app. Even more strange to subcontract your paywall. 

To be honest ourleague wasn't viable which is why they have farmed it out. People moaned about having to pay £10 for a stream and take up was not as expected. Clubs also had to pay £1200 per match and viewing figures were not great with a lot of clubs not even breaking even. Hopefully the Premier sports model will bring on more viewers 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Or at least give enough notice. I don’t know how RL coped in 70s & 80s when there were loads of midweek fixtures 😳

The game had low crowds and was effectively bankrupt.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Has anyone seen any of the folk who pass themselves off as either RL journalists or RL news accounts have a go at finding out what the value of the deal is?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That's a valid consideration. I assume they will get round it through scheduling the bigger teams who are likely to be full time, or games between teams based close together.

The trouble with that Dave is those games will bring in clubs biggest gates which given the likely central funding shortfall could be crippling to some clubs.

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The game had low crowds and was effectively bankrupt.

Yes - didn't stop PT players making themselves available for games....

I think a lot is made of PT players not being able to play midweek, doesn't impact other sports as much as far as I know

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

doesn't impact other sports as much as far as I know

Agree on that - some of the distances covered midweek by some very low level (and non paying) football clubs down here are further than anything that will be asked of rugby league players. And they do it more frequently too.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now a subscription is required it will be interesting if Championship fans ditch Sky (SL) for this.

That's a good question Harry. Especially as I prefer the championship.

However, for me no, because I would lose all the other sports for possibly 2 or 3 matches when Batley are playing, which I can go to anyway.

Sky has the football and I can watch my favourite team and nations on the red button for most games. I like the racing, golf also, and I watch all the super league.

I pay over £100 a month for full Sky, broadband etc so I can't afford any extra channels. 

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A two-year 'partnership' would suggest the mooted 2x10 Super League (or whatever restructure) wouldn't come in until 2024. Really?

Super League's extended "you're on notice deal" is for '22 and '23, so it is in line with that.

Archived