Premier Sports TV Deal

1 minute ago, Niels said:

That's a good question Harry. Especially as I prefer the championship.

However, for me no, because I would lose all the other sports for possibly 2 or 3 matches when Batley are playing, which I can go to anyway.

Sky has the football and I can watch my favourite team and nations on the red button for most games. I like the racing, golf also, and I watch all the super league.

I pay over £100 a month for full Sky, broadband etc so I can't afford any extra channels. 

I suspect you'll be in the majority too. If people sign up to this, for the vast majority it will be in addition to Sky.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

A two-year 'partnership' would suggest the mooted 2x10 Super League (or whatever restructure) wouldn't come in until 2024. Really?

We can only pray. And that by 2024 someone with a brain has taken control of the sport.

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now a subscription is required it will be interesting if Championship fans ditch Sky (SL) for this.

I feel confident in saying that there will be some people who do ditch Sky for this, but then proceed to tell us anyway that the Championship is a far better product than SL despite no longer actually watching SL.

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I will not state the RFL are a complete disgrace until I know how many millions the deal is worth and the protection against the key fixtures being moved to a Monday. I will assume asking fans to pay an extra £150 pa has benefits tbc

The only thing some fans hate more than Championship matches not being on telly is Championship matches being on telly.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I feel confident in saying that there will be some people who do ditch Sky for this, but then proceed to tell us anyway that the Championship is a far better product than SL despite no longer actually watching SL.

The only thing some fans hate more than Championship matches not being on telly is Championship matches being on telly.

Ask Batley would they like Bradford at home Sunday or Monday with no fee for being on some 10 bit subscription channel just as their tv money is slaughtered

I'll be signing up, quality rugby league every week is worth the money IMO.

I rarely attend a Championship or L1 game so this wouldn't affect attendances but will increase people watching by 1. If there's others like me it will be more than 1.

If others already have the channel and then decide to watch it's another benefit

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Ask Batley would they like Bradford at home Sunday or Monday with no fee for being on some 10 bit subscription channel just as their tv money is slaughtered

Have you asked them? What did they say?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The one constant there has been since the days of the Northern Ford Premiership going off to get its own TV deal is that the amount any broadcaster has been prepared to pay to show lower tier RL in this country has been, and appears still is, £0.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'll be signing up, quality rugby league every week is worth the money IMO.

I rarely attend a Championship or L1 game so this wouldn't affect attendances but will increase people watching by 1. If there's others like me it will be more than 1.

If others already have the channel and then decide to watch it's another benefit

Tbf that is an interesting point, how many subs do Premier Sports currently have? What is the potential audience?

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf that is an interesting point, how many subs do Premier Sports currently have? What is the potential audience?

I reckon the only way you'll get an honest answer to that is to approach them as a possible advertiser.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

The one constant there has been since the days of the Northern Ford Premiership going off to get its own TV deal is that the amount any broadcaster has been prepared to pay to show lower tier RL in this country has been, and appears still is, £0.

Sad reality that some people seem incapable to recognise.

I can't think of another sport that has its second tier as the highest level on a channel and gets any serious money for it. Even RU on Sky has internationals and Super Rugby, all whilst being pretty scaled back as an operation compared with even just a few years back anyway. Second tiers are always part of a bigger package of that sport.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I reckon the only way you'll get an honest answer to that is to approach them as a possible advertiser.

Yeah I suppose. Do they broadcast the United Rugby Championship in Wales, Scotland and Ireland too or is it just England?

14 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

If I ran a champ club my first call to fans would be to not buy the subscription

That's bound to win you friends with the both the RFL and other clubs.

Essentially the market has dictated that the value of the Championship TV rights is the cost of production. The championship needs subscribers to prove that the competition is worth more than that.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I suppose. Do they broadcast the United Rugby Championship in Wales, Scotland and Ireland too or is it just England?

Really not sure.

Looking at the sports they have in the UK, you'd have to assume a very small number of subscribers currently.

Tens of thousands rather than more than that.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Really not sure.

Looking at the sports they have in the UK, you'd have to assume a very small number of subscribers currently.

Tens of thousands rather than more than that.

I don't know why but I think the local branches of the BBC has some of the rugby in those nations.

I would suspect similar with subscriber numbers though.

Archived