Premier Sports TV Deal

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The one constant there has been since the days of the Northern Ford Premiership going off to get its own TV deal is that the amount any broadcaster has been prepared to pay to show lower tier RL in this country has been, and appears still is, £0.

Which must be what it’s worth to broadcasters. 

20 minutes ago, LongbridgeH said:

Personally think it’s a bad move. The sport needs more exposure. I’d be more inclined to have Sky showing but with free access via Mix or YouTube 

Sky have had the rights for years and not shown games weekly

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

That’s a shift from Sky having them, did they pay for them or were they gifted as fillers to SL coverage 

If you are gifting something you at least want some viewers for that. Premier are not providing numbers or cash if free. 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The trouble with that Dave is those games will bring in clubs biggest gates which given the likely central funding shortfall could be crippling to some clubs.

Aye, on the last thread on this I said we shouldn't be going for TV coverage at all costs. We shouldn't be giving rights away. They either pay or we use our league. 

I think it does rather show the difficulty we have with RL and broadcast rights. In reality we have good partners in Sky and the BBC, and we stumbled into a little niche partnership with Premier, but if you look at other sports over the last few years they have been all over different channels - Sky, BBC, ITV, Channel, 5, Prime, Premier, Quest, Free sports, BT SPORTS, DAZN and so on. Nobody is fighting for RL and loyalty means nowt, as we saw with Sky's new deal with SL. 

We had no interest in any pay deals in France or Canada - or anywhere else in the world really. 

Wooing other broadcasters here and abroad really has to be a major focus, and I'm not one of these that lives in a fantasy world talking about DAZN. 

44 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's bound to win you friends with the both the RFL and other clubs.

Essentially the market has dictated that the value of the Championship TV rights is the cost of production. The championship needs subscribers to prove that the competition is worth more than that.

When the hangman is knocking at your door it will be cash thats needed and not so called friends who had docked your wages

27 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

When the hangman is knocking at your door it will be cash thats needed and not so called friends who had docked your wages

Indeed, and the 10s of millions that have been pumped into the Championship over the past 7 years (mostly taken by clubs at the top) will have those "friends" turning around saying "you never had it so good".

I subscribed for the NRL and never bothered cancelling when they lost the rights, even though I've only tuned in for Toronto matches since.  While I'm looking forward to Monday night rugby, I hope that they are not getting it for free.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, and the 10s of millions that have been pumped into the Championship over the past 7 years (mostly taken by clubs at the top) will have those "friends" turning around saying "you never had it so good".

Tommy mi not so breet mucka the money went up to support the 8’s, helping the top of SL go FT and compete - 16 17 18 and 19 saw a champ club promoted and a SL one relegated. Ie it worked and I would guess the non SL fans paying sky subs paid more than they got back. This stinks of stupidity but I hope something has been left to announce that proves me wrong. A Champ highlights package on North BBC would be far better and fairly easy to do

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Aye, on the last thread on this I said we shouldn't be going for TV coverage at all costs. We shouldn't be giving rights away. They either pay or we use our league. 

Premier Sports will pay a six-figure sum for the broadcasting rights under this deal.

15 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Premier Sports will pay a six-figure sum for the broadcasting rights under this deal.

Go on ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

How much is the deal worth to the clubs?

Is it just Championship clubs that are going to be on TV or will it be League 1 as well?

More questions than answers 

I believe that all the money will go to the clubs but that will be clarified over the next few days and I hope the details will be in League Express next Monday.

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I believe that all the money will go to the clubs but that will be clarified over the next few days and I hope the details will be in League Express next Monday.

I hope it is a decent amount of money to each club.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Go on ...

Not a massive deal but better than nothing.

The Pro-16 renewed their deal with Premier this summer. I haven't seen any reports of what they are receiving, but the previous three-year deal was reported as being worth £30 million, which I assume equates to £10 million per year. I don't know whether that figure has risen, but if it has I doubt whether it will be a significant rise.

Given that they show every game live in that competition, I don't think the Championship deal is too bad, even if it's for just a few hundred grand for two years.

10 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I hope you're able to give the details Martyn because 'a six figure sum' is quite a wide band

£100K is just over £7K per club, but £999K (to be rather over-optimistic, I fear) would be more than £71K per team.

AS always, the devil is in the detail

Archived