Premier Sports TV Deal

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I hope you're able to give the details Martyn because 'a six figure sum' is quite a wide band

£100K is just over £7K per club, but £999K (to be rather over-optimistic, I fear) would be more than £71K per team.

AS always, the devil is in the detail

Just being on TV is good enough for this deal, any money is a bonus.

If fans get behind and watch in numbers we then have a case for an increased deal alongside premier having more funds to do so

22 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Not a massive deal but better than nothing.

Agreed. I'm only intrigued because the wording in the press release was of the kind that is normally used when there's no financial benefit.

Be good to know more details.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would also add that if that amount includes the cup games, that isn't a direct share between Championship clubs. 

Yep, and (ducks) most of the value is in the cup games, not the Championship games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sunday 3pm and ignore that ‘stick Browny

Erm nope, this didn't happen. I suspect Batley are more than capable of speaking for themselves rather than have some random Leigh fan make stuff up on their behalf.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The game had low crowds and was effectively bankrupt.

In November 1979 on wet windy Wednesday at Wilderspool Workinton won 1-0 against Warrington .

Part time players taking half a shift of work to travel midweek playing in a bankrupt sport watched by low crowds. 

Who would have thought.!

Winning pay that night was five weeks wages for me on a construction site.

Maybe the bankrupt part is a myth . Plenty of cash flowing about then. 

Plus around that time (and maybe into the 80s )the likes of Hull and Hull KR were getting crowds to match anything today.Maybe even Leeds?

Went down the M6 and A1 (before any upgrade) many a time in midweek back in the day. 

Maybe us Cumbrians are/were travellers. 

🤣🤣

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

The Cup games make this more attractive, but not sure it will be quite enough for me to part with another £13 a month on top of my other subs

Reminds me of 2005 when the European Commission in its wisdom decided that Sky holding the exclusive rights to the Premier League was a monopoly and unfair on the consumer so they divided it up and the other subscription providers took a part of the deal.

End result for the consumer... pay more (across two channels) for the same content.  Well done European Commission.

In this instance, the key metrics are

1. How many Rugby League fans who don't already have a Premier Sports subscription will sign up for this to see the Championship games.

2. How many have Sky today and potentially drop off as they are predominantly fans of a Championship Club or the Championship as a league (perhaps the latter is a little less likely but not inconceivable based on what I read here).

And 3, how many non Rugby League fans would be attracted to the sport as they have a Premier subscription but not Sky (I can't believe this is a big group).

My worry is that this is essentially a zero sum outcome.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I can assure you they are, although the figures are not mind blowing.

Firstly Thank you Martyn. So each club will get about £10k pa, I personally hope mine says no ta and gives it back because they and it’s fans will lose out. I can see fans thinking “I won’t buy a season ticket as Mondays are impossible for me and the kids” WTF wants to sponsor a Monday night game and be bright as a button on Tuesday. If Leigh v Fev was moved to a Monday it would cost either club multiple times the £10k pa

13 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Why would that be? They all swallowed a 300k pay off from Sky at one point.

Because some clubs in the Championship have been getting, either annually or biennially, more than the entire league is now set to get.

That's a crash back to reality for some, a levelling out for others.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Reminds me of 2005 when the European Commission in its wisdom decided that Sky holding the exclusive rights to the Premier League was a monopoly and unfair on the consumer so they divided it up and the other subscription providers took a part of the deal.

End result for the consumer... pay more (across two channels) for the same content.  Well done European Commission.

In this instance, the key metrics are

1. How many Rugby League fans who don't already have a Premier Sports subscription will sign up for this to see the Championship games.

2. How many have Sky today and potentially drop off as they are predominantly fans of a Championship Club or the Championship as a league (perhaps the latter is a little less likely but not inconceivable based on what I read here).

And 3, how many non Rugby League fans would be attracted to the sport as they have a Premier subscription but not Sky (I can't believe this is a big group).

My worry is that this is essentially a zero sum outcome.

I’ll take a positive from it. The actual fact Premier Sports are investing, not asking! Is surely a bonus to the game.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Good to have a secondary provider showing RL now. I hope it works out financially for the Championship clubs. 

The Cup games make this more attractive, but not sure it will be quite enough for me to part with another £13 a month on top of my other subs, but I like the sound of the Monday show with highlights of the weekend games. That could work nicely. 

Premier do appear to be more credible than last time we had RL there.

Agree. My Sky card will be going in the freezer for a couple of hours and if that doesn't work #### it!

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Because some clubs in the Championship have been getting, either annually or biennially, more than the entire league is now set to get.

That's a crash back to reality for some, a levelling out for others.

Then the payment should be made accordingly. Same as what Sky should do with SL clubs.

11 minutes ago, Tabby said:

I’ll take a positive from it. The actual fact Premier Sports are investing, not asking! Is surely a bonus to the game.

Yes, I agree.

I just want this to be incremental to the sport (in terms of reach and commerciality) rather than substitutional. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Tabby said:

It is a positive, and the fact that Sky have never been interested in sending cameras to screen games even when they had rights. 

I'll leave it to the clubs to work out if they can make money rather than lose it from this, but it is good that if people want to follow the Championship there is a mainstream platform that it can now be done on. 

Archived