Premier Sports TV Deal

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Look forward to the M62 on a Monday 🙁

As opposed to the hundreds of other motorways and transport methods taken by lower division football fans most Tuesdays and Wednesdays? 

Its not perfect, not even ideal, but I don't think beggars can be choosers here.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tabby said:

I’m astounded by your weak response.. I thought you would have applauded the success of Championship and the sport gaining another investment. Obviously not.

The investment in the Championship has gone from millions as part of the super league deal to roughly what 1 or 2 teams were being paid up to this season. What's there to cheer about?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

As opposed to the hundreds of other motorways and transport methods taken by lower division football fans most Tuesdays and Wednesdays? 

Its not perfect, not even ideal, but I don't think beggars can be choosers here.

You know my opinion of lower tier RL broadcasting , it hasn't been made public the financial aspect of this deal , but it will require teams to play on Mondays , if the money's there then fine , if it's not 🙁

At least it seems there will be a highlights programme , so I am happy with that 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

The investment in the Championship has gone from millions as part of the super league deal to roughly what 1 or 2 teams were being paid up to this season. What's there to cheer about?

The end of that demise you call SL.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You know my opinion of lower tier RL broadcasting , it hasn't been made public the financial aspect of this deal , but it will require teams to play on Mondays , if the money's there then fine , if it's not 🙁

At least it seems there will be a highlights programme , so I am happy with that 

You need to back your opinion up with fact.

Just now, Tabby said:

You need to back your opinion up with fact

It's an opinion , lower tier clubs need to build fan bases actually attending games , not play in almost empty stadiums with fans sat at home or in a pub 

IMO

Just now, GUBRATS said:

It's an opinion , lower tier clubs need to build fan bases actually attending games , not play in almost empty stadiums with fans sat at home or in a pub 

IMO

Opinions count for nothing. Your analysis is outdated. You live in the past.What worked 30 years ago is history.

I await to see the figures of what the deal is and will crunch the numbers accordingly.

It does seem though that the amount of money clubs will be getting from this TV deal will frankly be peanuts. And frankly at this preliminary stage I am not sure I would want to accept it if I was a club chairman.

And if the figures are indeed peanuts then I say the people who run this sport should hang their heads in shame.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

IYO

It’s your opinion I’m replying to. If you know all the answers then please post them. If you had opinions yet never fulfilled them why blame others.. 

You can’t change the past. But can’t use the past as success to the future..

9 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I await to see the figures of what the deal is and will crunch the numbers accordingly.

It does seem though that the amount of money clubs will be getting from this TV deal will frankly be peanuts. And frankly at this preliminary stage I am not sure I would want to accept it if I was a club chairman.

And if the figures are indeed peanuts then I say the people who run this sport should hang their heads in shame.

You also carry an opinion without fact. Anything is better than nothing.

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I actually tend to agree with you on it. The money or mass exposure has to be there and this seems to offer neither. That said if the alternative was no money at all then I guess it has to be seen in that context.

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

You also carry an opinion without fact. Anything is better than nothing.

I will formulate a final opinion upon seeing the facts and figures.Is anything better than nothing?Tbh I think if the figures are total 💩 I think I would rather tell them thanks but no thank you.I hate this race to the bottom which seems very popular in this country today.

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Six-figure sum over two years sounds nice and all but that could be as low as £50k a year.

Even if its £500k a year, could the RFL not have sold Our League subs with Monday night games for £10 a month and raised more? 

A physical subscription based on not streaming is more viable. Along with production costs.. Very good deal.

2 minutes ago, Tabby said:

A physical subscription based on not streaming is more viable. Along with production costs.. Very good deal.

Premier Sports would be streaming for me, as it was when I subscribed for the NRL.

The more I think about, the more I believe Phil Caplan is right to call this a vanity deal. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Premier Sports would be streaming for me, as it was when I subscribed for the NRL.

The more I think about, the more I believe Phil Caplan is right to call this a vanity deal. 

In Caplan we trust. 

9 minutes ago, Tabby said:

In Caplan we trust. 

We need to know the details but I’m assuming Premier Sports is paying a low six-figure sum. 

Our League now has 200,000 members. Earlier this year, the RFL said there had been nearly 152k app downloads when the tally stood at 183k members. 

Even if only 2-3000 members took out a £10pm sub for a premium Our League membership (eg pick of the round Championship games) it would bring in a fair bit of cash - and very possibly more than what Premier Sports is paying. 

I feel the RFL has built a good thing with the Our League app but hasn’t had the courage of its convictions to turn it into a product.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We need to know the details but I’m assuming Premier Sports is paying a low six-figure sum. 

Our League now has 200,000 members. Earlier this year, the RFL said there had been nearly 152k app downloads when the tally stood at 183k members. 

Even if only 2-3000 members took out a £10pm sub for a premium Our League membership (eg pick of the round Championship games) it would bring in a fair bit of cash - and very possibly more than what Premier Sports is paying. 

I feel the RFL has built a good thing with the Our League app but hasn’t had the courage of its convictions to turn it into a product.

3,000 subscriptions at £10pm would bring in £360,000 a year, £720,000 over the two years of the deal which I reckon is certainly more than Premier Sports are paying. 

You would only need to sign up approximately 4,200 members to make over £1,000,000 in 2 years which I think sounds very doable. 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

3,000 subscriptions at £10pm would bring in £360,000 a year, £720,000 over the two years of the deal which I reckon is certainly more than Premier Sports are paying. 

You would only need to sign up approximately 4,200 members to make over £1,000,000 in 2 years which I think sounds very doable. 

Sure and that’s why I find it odd that the RFL has done the hard work by essentially turning itself into a broadcaster - producing hundreds of games for consumption on Our League in recent years (to a decent standard, to boot) - only to give it to another company to make money from it. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They reached 200k in members. Not paying members of course. Yet that source can’t be delivered to your TV directly. You can’t record it. I’ve watched Our league and have enjoyed the service. 
Yes it’s something that could run along side Premier Sports coverage that continues to show amateur, women’s and wheelchair RL. The possibilities are now in a better place than looking for handout for all.

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure and that’s why I find it odd that the RFL has done the hard work by essentially turning itself into a broadcaster - producing hundreds of games for consumption on Our League in recent years (to a decent standard, to boot) - only to give it to another company to make money from it. 

It does seem a bit strange, I mean I certainly watch any games that are on OurLeague seen as I am a massive rugby league fan and it is a game for free available in seconds. I'll watch any rugby league game going that I have access to.

200k members of OurLeague, people who love the sport enough to commit to signing up to and having an app dedicated to the sport, I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to convince 5,000 or so of those people to subscribe to a streaming service, especially considering a good lot of the members will be lower division fans who would obviously want to watch games in their own leagues.

Even make the subscription a fiver and get 10,000 people signed up. I'd probably give it a thought at £10 but at £5 I'd be signing right up and that would probably be the case for a lot of fans. Even just one game a weekend, 4 to 5 a month, just over £1 per game seems like a bargain. Tbf, at your suggestion of £10, £2 a game sounds bloody good value as well!

Archived