Premier Sports TV Deal

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But my point is you are saying £3 a week for the best Championship game is great - but you didn't do that. This is the point, us sitting discussing it at length may lead one to believe it is attractive, but I don't see how we get enough to believe that.

But that wasn't on offer, Dave, so you're not making a fair comparison. I think it was £10 on the day, not £3.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

What's there to cheer about?

Those of us who work on a Sunday will now get the chance to see our team play live every now and then when they play on a Monday night! 😃

And the Championship will get loads more TV exposure than it has since, well, since the last time it was broadcast by Premier.

As a fan of a Championship club, my glass is definitely half full rather than half empty on this one.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What was it? A fiver a game? 

£4.95 early bird, £10 on the day.

£12.99 a month is good value for Champ RL if you're a Champ RL fan. If you're not, it's not.

My point is I suspect there's enough people willing to pay it for the RFL to make more of a profit than what Premier Sports is paying them but, yes, we're not talking millions. 

Will be subscribing via Sky, which I must say is a big plus point being able to just stick it on the telly (and series link any related content that will hopefully be screened) without the associated messing about with laptops etc for OurLeague, not to mention the games might be a little bit more 'live' than they were on OurLeague, running sometimes 5 minutes behind score updates on Twitter and the like!

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It'll be one game a week which, if you're the away team, you probably wouldn't have seen live anyway.

Had they been on a Sunday afternoon  Home or Away there would not be many if any I would miss, Monday Night if it means traversing the M62 I will not be making the trip.

This is were below SL it is (was) so good knowing that it was a set day you could board a supporters bus, have a few pints with the mates, maybe something to eat, get home at a reasonable time, so much better - if you support your team away - than the complete irregularities of SL fixtures.

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Those of us who work on a Sunday will now get the chance to see our team play live every now and then when they play on a Monday night! 😃

And the Championship will get loads more TV exposure than it has since, well, since the last time it was broadcast by Premier.

As a fan of a Championship club, my glass is definitely half full rather than half empty on this one.

That's all very well John and I am happy for those who can take the silver lining from this dark cloud, but good business caters for the majority not the minority in that most people have Sunday off, I would wager playing Monday's will lose more spectator's through the turnstiles than it will gain.

Good on you John. I am cancelling Sky sports, not bothering with this carp and giving my club the extra £500 saved- I hope 1000 at every club do the same

Tbf as a Bulls fan there's more chance you will be on these Monday night TV slots!

I think your TV exposure point is questionable though. Between the 8s, Bash and Playoffs on Sky over the past 7 years, the Championship will have likely had its biggest exposure ever, certainly more than it will get on Premier; even with weekly rounds and obviously with significantly more money coming in too. I do think there is a value in the regularity Premier are offering, but it would have been preferable all round if the platform was Sky, which holds not only more RL subscribers, but more casual sports fans.

I do admire the optimism and think that is the best way the Championship clubs and fans can approach this. As for half empty vs half full, half is half whichever way you cut it... 

I do hope clubs can survive the cut that is coming.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do hope clubs can survive the cut that is coming

Then SL do that at their own peril, short term gain for a slow long term loss, you are an intelligent lad Tommy give it some thought what will happen if established RL towns begin to lose their pro club's it will eventually impact on the whole sport, once you start cutting bits of a body it doesn't function as well as it once did.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then SL do that at their own peril, short term gain for a slow long term loss, you are an intelligent lad Tommy give it some thought what will happen if established RL towns begin to lose their pro club's it will eventually impact on the whole sport, once you start cutting bits of a body it doesn't function as well as it once did.

Course it will, but Super League chose to go their own way, have come back with a reduced deal themselves anyway (for various reasons) and the Championship hasn't been able to piggyback on the deal either. Cumulatively that has left the game between £10 to £15 millon worse off.

That also means that £10 to £15 million a season has been going somewhere for the past 7 years. Can you honestly say you think it has been invested wisely and helped the game be in a position to get more investment now? The figures alone don't suggest so.

I want as many RL clubs playing as possible. I also recognise that, partly through the poor decision making within the sport, that there is a limited number of those RL clubs that can be fully professional and that there is a cost in not having enough growth and interest in the sport to sustain a pyramid that doesn't make promotion pointless and relegation catastrophic. 

That said, whilst we do have some genuine outpost clubs, the heartlands of the game are undeniably in eachothers orbit. For example, Leeds are running a Cat3 academy and development operation in Oldham (which will given the proximity stretch to Rochdale etc too). How long before another club does the same in Cumbria or South Wales? This won't turn people in East Lancashire into Rhinos fans automatically but it does mean that the health of the game in that area is no longer reliant on the club in that town's commercial and on field success. A situation that was already arguably in place informally is being formalised.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Month sorry - typo....

Can I ask how many Championship games you have paid for already on OurLeague?

I suppose we will now see the numbers on Premier Sports, i suspect they will compare well against the RU games that are on there, I think the numbers were ok last time it was on there. 

I think the market for this is modest - a lot of sports fans have Sky Sports and can get their RL fix there. Mainstream sports fans won't be drawn to pay for 2nd tier RL. So it becomes something for RL fans only - SL fans are well served, and would have to decide if a further £13 a month is worth it for 4 games per month. I suspect it will appeal to a small percentage of Championship fans and a number of anoraks.

The way to make it attractive is surround it with content - either all the other games that season (high risk and cost), or other sports (Premier Sports' model). 

I hope this deal works out, and I am interested to see what they do with OurLeague now - I think it can be a really good companion app but we'll see.

I subscribed to Premier for the NRL tbh. They put a lot of shows on there too which was great like Sunday Roast and Footy Show. THey also used to show 6-8 games per weekend. Now I subscribe to WatchNRL. Premier just for Championship games on a Monday is less attractive. 

Just now, Scubby said:

I subscribed to Premier for the NRL tbh. They put a lot of shows on there too which was great like Sunday Roast and Footy Show. THey also used to show 6-8 games per weekend. Now I subscribe to WatchNRL. Premier just for Championship games on a Monday is less attractive. 

That was the same as me. I'd have watched the odd Championship game but I had Premier for the NRL. Unfortunately the Championship alone isn't enough of a driver for me to pay an extra £13.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf as a Bulls fan there's more chance you will be on these Monday night TV slots!

I think your TV exposure point is questionable though. Between the 8s, Bash and Playoffs on Sky over the past 7 years, the Championship will have likely had its biggest exposure ever, certainly more than it will get on Premier; even with weekly rounds and obviously with significantly more money coming in too. I do think there is a value in the regularity Premier are offering, but it would have been preferable all round if the platform was Sky, which holds not only more RL subscribers, but more casual sports fans.

I do admire the optimism and think that is the best way the Championship clubs and fans can approach this. As for half empty vs half full, half is half whichever way you cut it... 

I do hope clubs can survive the cut that is coming.

Not one complaint concerning part time players being shafted again.

Amazing.

9 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Not one complaint concerning part time players being shafted again.

Amazing.

I thought this was was the start of ever increasing revenues for the Championship? 

If playing Monday evenings is being "shafted" you shouldn't be playing professional sport.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Playing games on a Monday night to a reduced crowd in the ground and to a handful of subscribers on a small market paywalled TV channel raises the profile of the game?

One game per week.. Market it. 

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought this was was the start of ever increasing revenues for the Championship? 

If playing Monday evenings is being "shafted" you shouldn't be playing professional sport.

Nor travelling to France.

9 hours ago, Tabby said:

One game per week.. Market it. 

Why would I market part-time players being shafted?

How does this 'marketing' work and how does it create new audiences?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Tabby said:

Nor travelling to France.

All expenses paid travel too mind.

Though I actually agree, non British clubs should be in Super League or their domestic competitions, not the lower divisions. Pointless expensive waste for so many, even though many of course love their trips abroad.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

All expenses paid travel too mind.

Though I actually agree, non British clubs should be in Super League or their domestic competitions, not the lower divisions. Pointless expensive waste for so many, even though many of course love their trips abroad.

I agree but that only leads to complaints of clubs not working their way up through the pyramid and not deserving it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I agree but that only leads to complaints of clubs not working their way up through the pyramid and not deserving it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Ironically it is usually fans of teams who have either hardly ever been in Super League, or if they have, have done almost nothing in their time there, who are so insistent on this.

Make Elite 1 and the championship equivalents with guaranteed spots in the Super League for each nation - French clubs can come up and go down to their league, British clubs to theirs. Let each decide how they want to do it.

Archived