Premier Sports TV Deal

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yep, I'd rather pay Ā£99 or so for an annual 'Our League premium membership' that includes Championship & Challenge Cup games and other video content (and perhaps other incentives like discounts to showpiece games, e.g. Challenge Cup, Championship GF, internationals etc.). A package most RL fans could find something to buy into - more than one game a week on Premier.

Ideally it would be more user-friendly with a downloadable smart TV app like Watch NRL (which I have on my Apple TV box and makes viewing a cinch).

This works better for fans overseas too. I canā€™t subscribe to Premier Sports here in Australia, I donā€™t think?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Assume too late for questions for @Martyn SadlerĀ but it would be good to get clarity on financials.Ā 

Is it Ā£200k per year, of Ā£85k per year? Is it half and half to Championship and Cup?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It's not very much and small time coverage. Given the games are going to be spread out based on different Championship teams, the subscription price is really not going to tempt too many RL fans.

You take deals like these when the money paid is too high to turn down but Ā£6k per club is scraps.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Assume too late for questions for @Martyn SadlerĀ but it would be good to get clarity on financials.Ā 

Is it Ā£200k per year, of Ā£85k per year? Is it half and half to Championship and Cup?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm told it's in excess of Ā£200K per year, although not dramatically so.

And I understand there will be more good news for the Championship on Sunday.

I've now received a very full slate of answers to 20 questions I asked the RFL about the deal.

Well worth reading, I would suggest.

3 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I've now received a very full slate of answers to 20 questions I asked the RFL about the deal.

Sponsor extension with Betfred?Ā 

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Was one of them " who's providing the highlights content ? " ?

On 08/10/2021 at 14:49, Man of Kent said:

Yep, I'd rather pay Ā£99 or so for an annual 'Our League premium membership' that includes Championship & Challenge Cup games and other video content (and perhaps other incentives like discounts to showpiece games, e.g. Challenge Cup, Championship GF, internationals etc.). A package most RL fans could find something to buy into - more than one game a week on Premier.

Ideally it would be more user-friendly with a downloadable smart TV app like Watch NRL (which I have on my Apple TV box and makes viewing a cinch).

Worthless to exposure. Limited exclusive audience.Ā 
Ā 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Exposure!

Potentially more lucrative.

Has as already been stated. OurLeague is detrimental around an existing RL community. That doesnā€™t really support on a different platform, itā€™s exclusive.

Do you have any other options?

On 08/10/2021 at 13:42, Harry Stottle said:

Wow, if the contract is worth Ā£200K per year and there are 14 clubs, equal shares would be a little over 14K each, 6K each would total Ā£84K, so is Ā£116K the RFL's cut for brokering the deal, what am I missing.

Hopefully some of that Ā£116k is going to Super League and League One clubs, after all Championship clubs get paid out from the Super League deal, itā€™s only fair the same happens with the Championship deal imo.Ā 

34 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hopefully some of that Ā£116k is going to Super League and League One clubs, after all Championship clubs get paid out from the Super League deal, itā€™s only fair the same happens with the Championship deal imo.Ā 

Are you adam pearson lol

On 06/10/2021 at 15:23, Spidey said:

Sky have had the rights for years and not shown games weekly

Make the demands of the contract stronger then. Ironically Sky have been pushed into action this year as the quality of the division has improved.
Ā 

Sticking your sport on obscure channels works in the same way as freebie tickets - you lessen the sport by not giving it enough respect. Iā€™ve seen plenty of other sports in the UK go this way afterwards losing good TV deals and it generally doesnā€™t work well.Ā 
Ā 

For a long time I have advocated RFL to start using the large streaming services in the same way NFL do.Ā 

On 09/10/2021 at 10:50, Martyn Sadler said:

Whats the good news for the Championship?

Has anything been announced today?

32 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Featherstone got 4000 for their home fixture against Toulouse despite averaging less than 2500 for years

Leeds got more for our game against Toronto in 2020 on a televised thursday night than against a well supported Hull KR on an untelevised friday night that season.

Allez les olympique, alles les jeux a trieze

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds got more for our game against Toronto in 2020 on a televised thursday night than against a well supported Hull KR on an untelevised friday night that season.

Allez les olympique, alles les jeux a trieze

And how disappointed they all were with Money Bill šŸ˜‚

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who did less in the game than I could haveĀ 

Did you draw a bigger attendance at Headingley than Hull KR or have a press conference at the Emirates? Must have missed that

Probably because Leigh were just signing players who weren't good enough and didn't even have a profile!

Archived