Premier Sports TV Deal

More information on the deal, basically any money the clubs get from it will be based on viewing figures and subscriptions generated:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/championship-tv-deal-premier-sports-21839529?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Whippet13 said:

More information on the deal, basically any money the clubs get from it will be based on viewing figures and subscriptions generated:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/championship-tv-deal-premier-sports-21839529?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

That's going to end well.

44 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So there’s no guaranteed income for the clubs except broadcast fees that have to be spent on marketing to compensate for the negative impact on attendances?

Progressive or mad?

TBH, the article doesn't really provide 'all you need to know about the deal' as the headline claims!

There was talk last week of both £200k and £6k per club - so it would be interesting to understand whether there is a standard payment and then this 'ROI' payment on top.

More readable version here, reinforces the message that it's not big money:

https://www.totalrl.com/premier-sports-deal-for-the-championship-q-a/

Good that they are looking at using OurLeague for League 1 and can still show some Championship games on it. Will also show the 45 minute weekly show being produced by Premier on there as well.

I'll probably sign up so need to pick a team to get my share of the "super profit".

This looks like a pretty #### deal which is not going to get a return for clubs. Subscriptions will be minimal IMO (for one game on a Monday night) and hence won't cover the costs.

It is not 2010 any more the world has moved on. There is just far too much subscription competition.

12 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

How to bake in the existing inequalities in the division and claim you're giving something to the whole game.

Unless I'm missing something massive, this seems like an absolutely pointless deal when set against just putting the games out ourselves on OurLeague, YouTube or Twitch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

It was always a bad idea.  You have your own platform use It.  If you cant generate a few thousand subscribers at 10/12 quid a month from OuRLeague with 200,000 registered then dont bother. 

Exactly!!  This deal needs to be rejected by the fans for the sake of our clubs.

They admitted Sunday evenings was the best time but something else took priority then - get emailing enquiries@premiersports.com and does anyone have mark fosters email at the rfl?

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Exactly!!  This deal needs to be rejected by the fans for the sake of our clubs.

They admitted Sunday evenings was the best time but something else took priority then - get emailing enquiries@premiersports.com and does anyone have mark fosters email at the rfl?

They sponsor the ice hockey, so that could be a Sunday thing, or any number of football leagues.

33 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

You do the the deal has already been signed, don't you? The chairmen have already agreed to it.

Gav it's probably the worst bit of business since St Helens thought they'd signed Matt Adamson and Phil Adamson turned up for pre-season training.

On the plus side there will be some good British rugby League to watch live on a boring Monday night. With hopefully new hosts/format/ideas for the live coverage of our game

In addition fans of union's UTC and Pro 14 competitions who subscibe to PSs may get exposed to our game and enjoy it

FreeSports exposure too is great. Plenty of people who don't use subscription channels will use/peruse that

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On the plus side there will be some good British rugby League to watch live on a boring Monday night. With hopefully new hosts/format/ideas for the live coverage of our game

In addition fans of union's UTC and Pro 14 competitions who subscibe to PSs may get exposed to our game and enjoy it

If you are prepared to pay £13 per month. That is almost double Amazon Prime and Netflix for 80 minutes a week.

I remember paying 9.99 per month years ago for PS. For that you got around 6-8 NRL games, The NRL Footy Show, Sunday Roast and a weekly Championship game. I also think it was free as part of a Virgin package (I may be wrong on that).

It doesn't compare. If it gets 2000 new subscribers from RL I will be amazed.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you are prepared to pay £13 per month. That is almost double Amazon Prime and Netflix for 80 minutes a week.

I remember paying 9.99 per month years ago for PS. For that you got around 6-8 NRL games, The NRL Footy Show, Sunday Roast and a weekly Championship game. It doesn't compare. If it get 2000 new subscribers from RL I will be amazed.

£3 a game seems really cheap

And if there was some Pro 14 union chucked in I might watch a bit too 

Holistically the thing works the other way round too. Plenty of people who subscribe for the union might appreciate the Monday league games as part of the offering 

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

£3 a game seems really cheap

And if there was some Pro 14 union chucked in I might watch a bit too 

Holistically the thing works the other way round too. Plenty of people who subscribe for the union might appreciate the Monday league games as part of the offering 

It may have some appeal to existing subscribers and to some die hards. But there is limited appeal for something like this at that price and it seems like without subscribers from RL land, clubs won't be getting any financial benefit either.

Archived