Premier Sports TV Deal

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

It always makes me laugh when people talk about marketing in reference to the Championship and how clubs should market the games better.

It may be relevant to the bigger places like Newcastle and Sheffield but do people not think that in places like Featherstone, Whitehaven, Dewsbury, even Leigh, that the locals aren't fully aware they they have a team and where and when they play ? If they wanted to watch RL they'd be doing it already.

The only marketing that is effective at that level is a winning team, the bandwagon effect. Look at the crowds both Barrow and Workington pulled in L1 this year as an example. But I guarantee you that should either team be really struggling next season then crowds will be less than half what they were getting this year. The fairweather fans won't go and pay to watch a losing team no matter how many fireworks you set off.

Marketing is a sales tool to increase income/profits and is measured on return

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

You're confusing marketing with advertising. 

People in Whitehaven might be aware of Whitehaven's rugby team, but are they aware of what they offer, what the matchday experience is like and how they're adapting that offer to cater to a broader range of people? 

You can't just hook your entire approach on a good team and a good match on the field. You have to create an event that, no matter what the result, people go away feeling that they've had a good time. 

Very easy to write on an internet forum, much more difficult to do in real life. Many of these clubs aren't just constrained by their finances but also by their facilities.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Why? Because a couple of home games will be on a Monday night? What a snowflake attitude. Super League clubs have Thursday night TV games, i don’t see how Monday is any different to a Thursday game. Is it the most ideal day and time? No, but we can’t have our cake and eat it, if we want tv coverage and the money that comes along with it, which we need, we have to compromise, even premier league football has mid week games on tv. 

Which bit is the cake ?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

and refreshment sales.

why are they called refreshments?  am not sure about you but after a bovril to line my stomach, 6 pints of beer in a plastic glass and pie n peas I hardly feel like jumping up and doing a gym session

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, Derwent said:

It always makes me laugh when people talk about marketing in reference to the Championship and how clubs should market the games better.

It may be relevant to the bigger places like Newcastle and Sheffield but do people not think that in places like Featherstone, Whitehaven, Dewsbury, even Leigh, that the locals aren't fully aware they they have a team and where and when they play ? If they wanted to watch RL they'd be doing it already.

The only marketing that is effective at that level is a winning team, the bandwagon effect. Look at the crowds both Barrow and Workington pulled in L1 this year as an example. But I guarantee you that should either team be really struggling next season then crowds will be less than half what they were getting this year. The fairweather fans won't go and pay to watch a losing team no matter how many fireworks you set off.

The win, lose applies always , but what it does mean is the Fairweather fan will go to the pub and complain to his beer how ###### his team is rather than go to the game 

apparently 

subsidised travel for away fans will be introduced in an attempt to incentivise supporters to make a trip on a midweek evening. Other plans in place include season ticket holders being able to bring a friend for free and enhanced community and schools engagement leading up to games will be encouraged.

36 minutes ago, POR said:

apparently 

subsidised travel for away fans will be introduced in an attempt to incentivise supporters to make a trip on a midweek evening. Other plans in place include season ticket holders being able to bring a friend for free and enhanced community and schools engagement leading up to games will be encouraged.

Can see it now ''Billy, I've got a free ticket for Mondays game, instead of spending that £20 buy me a pint and you can have it'' - Income slashed

Lets get all the schools involved and ask parents/teachers to pay to get in at full whack, and tell the kids they are expected back in school the next day at 8.45am  - what do you mean only 10 kids turned up. This really means loads more free tickets.

Our wonderful RFL leaders really know how to grow income risk free, I heard the next one will be a deal with Bet Fred whereby 50% of any TV money from Sky will go on number 6 in the Grand National.

On 14/10/2021 at 14:42, Derwent said:

Very easy to write on an internet forum, much more difficult to do in real life. Many of these clubs aren't just constrained by their finances but also by their facilities.

This sort of thing isn't supposed to be easy. It might be hard to do, but that is the cost of doing business now because there is just that much more competing for people's leisure dollar.

I could run through a list of places I could take my son to amuse him on any given Sunday and on most of those, I've got a good idea of what we can expect and how much he'll enjoy it. If you're basing the "sell" of RL on whether or not the team will be successful, or whether or not the game will be good, it's a lot harder for me to judge whether he'll enjoy the day, or whether he'll be bored and irritable. That's going to factor into a person's decision and that's why it's important that whatever the result, whatever the quality of the game, the clubs ensure that people have an enjoyable experience. 

You can say that it's hard and make excuses, but people expect a lot from their £20 ticket and if you aren't delivering on those expectations, they either aren't going to come or they aren't going to come back. They'll spend their money elsewhere, go to places where they know that they're going to enjoy themselves, and that "we can't afford to do that" problem will just get even worse. 

On 14/10/2021 at 13:55, Harry Stottle said:

Well what's your opinion BS, 

1. Do you think it will be of financial benefit to the clubs? Do you consider that the 6K return will be more than they will lose on the turnstiles both from home and away supporter's and refreshment sales.

2. Are you going to subscribe to Premier?

I think that the only people who never get anything wrong are those who never try to make things happen but willingly criticise those who do.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Very political answer Johnny, completely side stepped the questions.

I don't fall for your leading questions Harry. Haven't you learned that by now?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Monday nights could work however not until May IMHO.

When we used to have Monday night French rugby league it worked a real treat with vastly increased attendances however everything was planned in advance with the home club and Marie.

The Marie would purchase a couple of thousand tickets for local families and the take up was always fab around 80/90% if 2000 were given away 1500 + would turn up AND THE CLUBS MADE MONEY 

In return the local tourism logo in some cases would be painted in the centre of the pitch for TV.

From memory this worked at Carpentras/St Gaudens/Pia/St Esteve and 1/2 more clubs all had excellent working relationships with the town hall.

So for it to have any chance of working I would have matches in May/June/July/August in places like Whithaven/Workington/Barrow/Newcastle/York etc with massive involvement with the local town hall and schools.

Just my opinion 🙂

Paul

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Can see it now ''Billy, I've got a free ticket for Mondays game, instead of spending that £20 buy me a pint and you can have it'' - Income slashed

Lets get all the schools involved and ask parents/teachers to pay to get in at full whack, and tell the kids they are expected back in school the next day at 8.45am  - what do you mean only 10 kids turned up. This really means loads more free tickets.

Our wonderful RFL leaders really know how to grow income risk free, I heard the next one will be a deal with Bet Fred whereby 50% of any TV money from Sky will go on number 6 in the Grand National.

Yet again you seem to be completely bypassing the clubs for any responsibility here. 

Archived