Premier Sports TV Deal

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is a positive, and the fact that Sky have never been interested in sending cameras to screen games even when they had rights. 

I'll leave it to the clubs to work out if they can make money rather than lose it from this, but it is good that if people want to follow the Championship there is a mainstream platform that it can now be done on. 

What mainstream platform is that? It would be far better having one game a week on our league but the best would be a Northern terrestrial channel doing a highlights using club camera content for nothing

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

What mainstream platform is that? It would be far better having one game a week on our league but the best would be a Northern terrestrial channel doing a highlights using club camera content for nothing

It's one that isn't hidden away impossible to find and/or login as an app. It's a mainstream subscription channel available quite widely and in HD. 

The fact that figures are low is one thing, but it's positive that somebody wants to show the games. Because literally nobody else is bothered. 

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is a positive, and the fact that Sky have never been interested in sending cameras to screen games even when they had rights. 

I'll leave it to the clubs to work out if they can make money rather than lose it from this, but it is good that if people want to follow the Championship there is a mainstream platform that it can now be done on. 

Perhaps and i say perhaps this might help a little bit to get some more sponsors on board for the clubs. Just saying

Just now, The Future is League said:

Perhaps and i say perhaps this might help a little bit to get some more sponsors on board for the clubs. Just saying

That's what I mean about monetising it. If Sadler's comments are correct and payment is forthcoming then maybe a payment for each match televised may offset losses. That should be the bare minimum. 

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

It's significantly more mainstream than when it had Thursday night Championship games the first time around. Their portfolio is actually pretty substantial now. 

This deal is a good thing. 

Hmmm. According to BARB, you can often get into into the weekly top 15 most watched programmes on PS with just 500 viewers.

4 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Hmmm. According to BARB, you can often get into into the weekly top 15 most watched programmes on PS with just 500 viewers.

When I refer to platform I mean the technical aspect. If I want to follow the comp I can subscribe, watch it in HD, record it on my planner etc. Do all the mainstream stuff you'd expect. 

It's good to see Premier back on Barb, but jeez, those figures are an absolute disaster for the Rugby Union championship. I don't know how much of that deal Premier are paying, but it must be one of the most expensive around when they are showing games to 4k people. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It's good to see Premier back on Barb, but jeez, those figures are an absolute disaster for the Rugby Union championship. I don't know how much of that deal Premier are paying, but it must be one of the most expensive around when they are showing games to 4k people. 

I was shocked when Martyn said that PS previously paid out £10m pa for *any* competition. They do ok with the Scottish football cup competitions but nothing else.

Looking at the Barb numbers, when they showed Scottish Football across their two channels at the same time, they managed to get 34k viewers combined. 

Their RU seems to get very low thousands, I wouldn't be surprised if they have c50k subscribers. 

6 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I was shocked when Martyn said that PS previously paid out £10m pa for *any* competition. They do ok with the Scottish football cup competitions but nothing else.

From what I read, the £10m per annum that comp got was from all broadcasters, including Ireland, South Africa and smaller deals from local BBC etc. 

I don't believe Premier paid anything like £10m.

9 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

The pro 14 deal could be £10m when it included eir sport in Ireland. 

I suspect cost to Premier Sports is much lower now 

If deal is £600k then ok- about 20k a match, if not then I'm not convinced it's a good deal 

Who knows but IMHO for what it's worth the current SKY coverage end of season and Our League during the regular season would be better.

Paul

22 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Who knows but IMHO for what it's worth the current SKY coverage end of season and Our League during the regular season would be better.

Paul

You should know. How much did Toronto pay them for broadcasting?

Archived