Premier Sports TV Deal

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It does seem a bit strange, I mean I certainly watch any games that are on OurLeague seen as I am a massive rugby league fan and it is a game for free available in seconds. I'll watch any rugby league game going that I have access to.

200k members of OurLeague, people who love the sport enough to commit to signing up to and having an app dedicated to the sport, I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to convince 5,000 or so of those people to subscribe to a streaming service, especially considering a good lot of the members will be lower division fans who would obviously want to watch games in their own leagues.

Even make the subscription a fiver and get 10,000 people signed up. I'd probably give it a thought at £10 but at £5 I'd be signing right up and that would probably be the case for a lot of fans. Even just one game a weekend, 4 to 5 a month, just over £1 per game seems like steal. Tbf, at your suggestion of £10, £2 a game sounds bloody good value as well!

As I said, streaming solely carries restrictions.  May work for you, but for the majority won’t. Excellent chance here for championship to take the game to another level.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It does seem a bit strange, I mean I certainly watch any games that are on OurLeague seen as I am a massive rugby league fan and it is a game for free available in seconds. I'll watch any rugby league game going that I have access to.

200k members of OurLeague, people who love the sport enough to commit to signing up to and having an app dedicated to the sport, I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to convince 5,000 or so of those people to subscribe to a streaming service, especially considering a good lot of the members will be lower division fans who would obviously want to watch games in their own leagues.

Even make the subscription a fiver and get 10,000 people signed up. I'd probably give it a thought at £10 but at £5 I'd be signing right up and that would probably be the case for a lot of fans. Even just one game a weekend, 4 to 5 a month, just over £1 per game seems like steal. Tbf, at your suggestion of £10, £2 a game sounds bloody good value as well!

It might be that the RFL preferred to take money upfront from Premier rather than have a steady income stream from, er, streaming. 

Just find it mildly disappointing that the RFL had the strategic vision, in fairness, to build a decent platform for Championship rugby coverage but hasn’t followed it through.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It might be that the RFL preferred to take money upfront from Premier rather than have a steady income stream from, er, streaming. 

Just find it mildly disappointing that the RFL had the strategic vision, in fairness, to build a decent platform for Championship rugby coverage but hasn’t followed it through.

Surely investment if available comes first to support the sport on a global aspect. Then use Our League in a form it was created for.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

We need to know the details but I’m assuming Premier Sports is paying a low six-figure sum. 

Our League now has 200,000 members. Earlier this year, the RFL said there had been nearly 152k app downloads when the tally stood at 183k members. 

Even if only 2-3000 members took out a £10pm sub for a premium Our League membership (eg pick of the round Championship games) it would bring in a fair bit of cash - and very possibly more than what Premier Sports is paying. 

I feel the RFL has built a good thing with the Our League app but hasn’t had the courage of its convictions to turn it into a product.

I imagine premier sports are paying for cameras, commentators etc. So there's also a cost saving using premier over our league. 

I've heard previously setting up for a game is expensive

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm hopeful that this will help reach a new audience. 

Our league is good but only people already watching RL will view, premier has the potential to gain some new TV fans, therefore sponsorship and the usual soon offs. May be small gains but better this than nothing 

15 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I imagine premier sports are paying for cameras, commentators etc. So there's also a cost saving using premier over our league. 

I've heard previously setting up for a game is expensive

The club tv channels are often better than Sky and certainly with a bit of tweaking could be the basis for a highlights programme in proper tv if growing the sport is the key, such an opportunity has far more value especially if viewing figures lead to play off interest 

I look at some of the ###### channels on sky TV and also freeview and have wondered how much it costs to set up a TV channel, as the viewing numbers for some of those programmes must be very very low, so how do they pay for themselves?

Why couldn't the Our League app be extended to a TV channel, a lot of the production would be the same as used on Active League. The channel doesn't need to be on 24/7 and clubs could show their own highlights programme and retain all advertising for themselves.

It could also be linked to the Aussies to show some of their games as well as re-runs of old classic games.

4 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I look at some of the ###### channels on sky TV and also freeview and have wondered how much it costs to set up a TV channel, as the viewing numbers for some of those programmes must be very very low, so how do they pay for themselves?

Why couldn't the Our League app be extended to a TV channel, a lot of the production would be the same as used on Active League. The channel doesn't need to be on 24/7 and clubs could show their own highlights programme and retain all advertising for themselves.

It could also be linked to the Aussies to show some of their games as well as re-runs of old classic games.

Some info here

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/659929/how-much-does-it-cost-to-set-up-run-and-keep-a-channel-on-sky

18 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I feel confident in saying that there will be some people who do ditch Sky for this, but then proceed to tell us anyway that the Championship is a far better product than SL despite no longer actually watching SL.

That's rich Browny!

Do you not consider that statement could be reversed 10 fold in that it is fans of SL clubs who don't see/watch Championship rugby and chastise it far more with comments like it is useless and has no value.

The other week for the first round of the Championship playoffs I posted that it was very evident looking at the match threads on this site the absence of SL fans and especially those who make the comments and consider it beneath them.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's rich Browny!

Do you not consider that statement could be reversed 10 fold in that it is fans of SL clubs who don't see/watch Championship rugby and chastise it far more with comments like it is useless and has no value.

The other week for the first round of the Championship playoffs I posted that it was very evident looking at the match threads on this site the absence of SL fans and especially those who make the comments and consider it beneath them.

I genuinely haven't seen any negative comments about the Rugby played in the Championships. Quite the opposite. 

Most of the discussions have been around the TV contract value - many of which I disagree with, but the negativity towards SL rugby is far greater than towards Championship rugby.

16 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I believe that all the money will go to the clubs but that will be clarified over the next few days and I hope the details will be in League Express next Monday.

That will be interesting to see how it is proportioned, 

Equal shares for every club from the total, or a reduced base level and additional payments for hosting games, the statement I recall is that the most relevant or attractive matches would be shown each week, which I would assume a few club would have a lot more exposure and played on a Monday night would most definatley impact attdendances from the Sunday afternoon norm.

And before any SL fan tells me they all recieve equal funding in SL, the question would not even be posed if the share was £1.5 million each or season, or £55K per game over 27 games irrespective of being televised or being at home or away.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's rich Browny!

The only person I ever see disparaging the Championship is Sir Kevin Sinfield, and the kindest thing I can say is that he represents nobody on here.

I missed the first round of the playoffs but largely enjoyed last weekend's games (both ended up a bit one-sided but only after a decent tussle). I've always enjoyed watching Champ games and wish Sky made use of their rights more often.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Duplicate

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I'm hopeful that this will help reach a new audience. 

Our league is good but only people already watching RL will view, premier has the potential to gain some new TV fans, therefore sponsorship and the usual soon offs. May be small gains but better this than nothing 

I don’t believe for a second that Premier Sport enhances the profile/visibility of RL or will attract new fans.

This is about the RFL effectively selling the right to charge for subscriptions for Championship rugby that, as I say, it could have done itself - and has been doing itself - and probably made more money.

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Because some clubs in the Championship have been getting, either annually or biennially, more than the entire league is now set to get.

That's a crash back to reality for some, a levelling out for others.

No extra funding Tommy, the increase was for on field performance, i.e. prize money, I am sure your club has benefitted from this form of income over the years, has it not?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No extra funding Tommy, the increase was for on field performance, i.e. prize money, I am sure your club has benefitted from this form of income over the years, has it not?

I didn't say it was extra.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That will be interesting to see how it is proportioned, 

Equal shares for every club from the total, or a reduced base level and additional payments for hosting games, the statement I recall is that the most relevant or attractive matches would be shown each week, which I would assume a few club would have a lot more exposure and played on a Monday night would most definatley impact attdendances from the Sunday afternoon norm.

And before any SL fan tells me they all recieve equal funding in SL, the question would not even be posed if the share was £1.5 million each or season, or £55K per game over 27 games irrespective of being televised or being at home or away.

I'm fairly sure that the majority of the sponsorship money will be distributed to clubs in accordance with their finishing positions.

52 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I genuinely haven't seen any negative comments about the Rugby played in the Championships. Quite the opposite. 

Trolls need their straw men.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived