Simple is generally better for me…

• Widnes current Viking boat

• S for Salford 70s

• Toronto Wolfpack

• Hull KR new rebrand

• GB Lion

• France FFRXIII current

• NRL two chevrons suite

The current Warrington and last Salford are the worst kind… mixing way too many ideas. Keep it clean!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

What would you say the greatest logos in the world are and why?

We can all just pick the team we support during a memorable season if you like. 

I would say the ones that are the most memorable. But in sport they generally they aren't memorable because of the badge/logo itself. Its because of the team it represents and what it means. I think straight away of the NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Liverpool, All Blacks. Their logos are great and iconic because of what they represent. Not because they are particularly amazing logos.

9 minutes ago, MZH said:

I would say the ones that are the most memorable. But in sport they generally they aren't memorable because of the badge/logo itself. Its because of the team it represents and what it means. I think straight away of the NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Liverpool, All Blacks. Their logos are great and iconic because of what they represent. Not because they are particularly amazing logos.

I'm not a fan of any of the sports of the teams you mentioned and I know each logo except Liverpool because they are good logos/well branded teams. Googling the Liverpool one and it's definitely the odd one out. Not very good at all.

new rise.jpg

14 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not a fan of any of the sports of the teams you mentioned and I know each logo except Liverpool because they are good logos/well branded teams. Googling the Liverpool one and it's definitely the odd one out. Not very good at all.

There is a big difference between a logo and a brand. You are conflating the two.

The Oldham crest/badge was updated a couple of years back.  We went from something that's impossible to use for marketing to something that's impossible to use for marketing, on a shiny shield.

crest_oldham_two.png.82282aa2702439018b121f0c8464b542.png

I tried to stop it.  I failed and now we're stuck with it.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is a big difference between a logo and a brand. You are conflating the two.

A good logo is part of a good brand. Definitely not conflating them.

new rise.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

A good logo is part of a good brand. Definitely not conflating them.

Of course but as you say its part. The All Blacks aren't well known for their logo, I'd hazard a guess that many are completely unaware of what it actually is. Their brand and being known as the All Blacks is their strength. Their logo adds next to nothing. The NY Yankees are well known but I had to google their logo, and at that it is different than what I thought. What MZH said was quite correct about the importance of the logo v the brand.

22 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

I always loved the old RFL logo. It looked like the sort of thing a bloke would knock together on a notepad whilst taking a tea break from designing 1970s multi-storey carparks.

Asset 2@4x.png

That's a proper piece of Design.

Of its time yes, but instantly recognisible and the very first bit of proper branding the sport did.

It stands up pretty well to scrutiny now.

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

What would you say the greatest logos in the world are and why?

We can all just pick the team we support during a memorable season if you like. 

I’d say the NY Yankees,worn & recognised by people worldwide who’ve never even seen a baseball game.

1 hour ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

I always loved the old RFL logo. It looked like the sort of thing a bloke would knock together on a notepad whilst taking a tea break from designing 1970s multi-storey carparks.

Asset 2@4x.png

Usually accompanied by: The Man's Game for all the Family. 🙂

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Horrendous isn't it. Somehow pompous and insecure at the same time.

The whole crest is a bit busy but the simplified Liver bird with LFC used on the kit and merchandise is good. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

The current Warrington and last Salford are the worst kind… mixing way too many ideas. Keep it clean!

Agreed! Too many patterns and references in the background, covering too many bases. Also on the Warrington one having "The Wire" shoved on a little banner at the bottom is really not needed.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Of course but as you say its part. The All Blacks aren't well known for their logo, I'd hazard a guess that many are completely unaware of what it actually is. Their brand and being known as the All Blacks is their strength. Their logo adds next to nothing. The NY Yankees are well known but I had to google their logo, and at that it is different than what I thought. What MZH said was quite correct about the importance of the logo v the brand.

Isn't their logo on just about every 3rd baseball stye cap in the world? - if not it seems like it is

6 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

The Oldham crest/badge was updated a couple of years back.  We went from something that's impossible to use for marketing to something that's impossible to use for marketing, on a shiny shield.

crest_oldham_two.png.82282aa2702439018b121f0c8464b542.png

I tried to stop it.  I failed and now we're stuck with it.

Was there any other options that didn’t involve the crest, that never saw the light of day?

1 hour ago, OL14.yeds said:

Was there any other options that didn’t involve the crest, that never saw the light of day?

No.  Just a flat-topped shield, the one that was chosen and something else.  Just variations of the same thing.  All equally useless.

The bottom three were meant to be some sort of compromise to be used for social media.  I can't even recall which one won now but it's never seen the light of day.

I'd forgotten the middle one in the top row.  That was the other one I mentioned.

Also, that graphic showing all six — I made it.  Ha!

Archived