Greatest RL Logos and Badges.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Pulga said:

I'm not a fan of any of the sports of the teams you mentioned and I know each logo except Liverpool because they are good logos/well branded teams. Googling the Liverpool one and it's definitely the odd one out. Not very good at all.

Liverpool and the Yankees use different logos to their badges that go on most of their merchandise. 

There is a value in the KISS methodology here that Liverpool, the Yankees, the All Blacks and the Dallas Cowboys all follow. Even clubs with more intricate designs like Man U or Man City are actually fairly simple. The Rabbitohs bunny is the same.

If Wigan's new badge had the castle in the centre instead of a Brigante Warrior then it would be even more of this trend too.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I quite like the bottom row ones, although I don't like the way Oldham Rlfc is written on any of them. Bottom middle with some tweaking is quite nice imo. 

I reckon the bottom-row ones look too much like something you'd find on an old school blazer.  

They're also a stripped-back version of the crest leaving off several elements.  Each of those is supposed to represent different townships within the Oldham borough so in one fell swoop you're dismissing a big chunk of the population.  Admittedly those dismissed may not be aware of that point.

If it's going to be a crest, leave it as it is.  My preference would be not to use a crest unless all it does it sit in the usual spot on a players chest, and that's it.

On 06/10/2021 at 20:16, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

really love this, timeless classic

I'm not the first person to say this by any stretch, but we really should have just made that red and used it for England.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 06/10/2021 at 23:43, voteronniegibbs said:

I give you.... the best RL badge ... ever......... 

Rugby League 2021

First thing I do upon taking Ralph's job is bring this back. It's a beauty. IIRC it was on the shirt sleeve of every club in the early 90s when I first started watching RL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

I reckon the bottom-row ones look too much like something you'd find on an old school blazer.  

They're also a stripped-back version of the crest leaving off several elements.  Each of those is supposed to represent different townships within the Oldham borough so in one fell swoop you're dismissing a big chunk of the population.  Admittedly those dismissed may not be aware of that point.

If it's going to be a crest, leave it as it is.  My preference would be not to use a crest unless all it does it sit in the usual spot on a players chest, and that's it.

I get that, I am talking purely aesthetics so I get the reasons why people would be against bastardising the crest. 

Warrington's first wolf though was simply stripped from the crest and everything else pushed to one side. 

On 07/10/2021 at 11:40, Dunbar said:

Why is he doing an impression of Blakey from On The Buses!

If you saw what the Robin was inserting behind him it’d all make sense…

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

14 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

Did the graphic designer only have access to Microsoft Paint on an old laptop, after his studio had burned down destroying all his other kit? 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

19 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Did the graphic designer only have access to Microsoft Paint on an old laptop, after his studio had burned down destroying all his other kit? 

To be fair, the designer had a very narrow brief which involved keeping the crest intact on the main logo (the top three).

They redrew it because the one in existence was pretty grim.  The one the RFL was using showed the right dangling medallion thingy as a yellow chicken or similar bird.  It should be a saddle to represent Saddleworth.

Essentially, with both hands tied behind their back all they could do was plonk the crest onto something which ended up being a shield. 

Before the design process started I let it be known that if we ended up with the original crest plonked on a shield with Oldham RLFC typed underneath I'd be the first in the queue to campaign to get rid of it.  And here we are.

I carried out the same exercise on a rebrand for bananas using the same shield and banner.  

bananas.png.11749e8e6fd4bf4d239c71a9d97518ec.png

17 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

It's as iconic as a old shoe floating down the river Thames.

As a fan always thought it was/is totally naff. 

The club's executives must have been congratulating each other back in 1995 that non of the other founder clubs of 1895 thought of it, geez. That is the explanation of where the name comes from for those who did not know.

To keep up to date, the club should rename the club next season to the Leigh 1.27 Centurions. 

21 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a fan always thought it was/is totally naff. 

The club's executives must have been congratulating each other back in 1995 that non of the other founder clubs of 1895 thought of it, geez. That is the explanation of where the name comes from for those who did not know.

To keep up to date, the club should rename the club next season to the Leigh 1.27 Centurions. 

In fairness I'm not a huge fan of team nicknames in general. I think some of the more historic clubs might benefit from not having a seemingly mandatory nickname associated with them. There might well be a reason football teams kick against it (not sure if anyone remembers the Hull City Tigers story).

On 08/10/2021 at 00:08, OriginalMrC said:

And there has to be an honourable mention for a challenge cup opponent of the Bears. Not many teams have a naked man on their logo! 

SmartSelect_20211008-000710_Twitter.jpg

Who appears to have an unusually long left arm. 

Archived