A decade on since he lit up Old Trafford - time for the Rob Burrow Trophy?

It's ten years since the best individual grand final performance of all time. I can think of no more fitting tribute to Rob Burrow than a rename of the Harry Sunderland award in his honour...

I put some thoughts together on what was so important about his performance that night and why we should honour him. Would love to hear your thoughts on it!!

https://thecritic.co.uk/robert-the-lionheart/ 

18 minutes ago, Tides Of History said:

It's ten years since the best individual grand final performance of all time. I can think of no more fitting tribute to Rob Burrow than a rename of the Harry Sunderland award in his honour...

I put some thoughts together on what was so important about his performance that night and why we should honour him. Would love to hear your thoughts on it!!

https://thecritic.co.uk/robert-the-lionheart/ 

I agree completely. I never understood why he was made such a prominent figure in British RL ?

Aside from becoming manager of Wigan most of his RL work was in Australia so surely the NRL should name a trophy after him and let SL use the names of stars in British RL like they've now done with the Steve Prescott MOS awards.

Can't think of a more fitting name to put on the GF MOM Trophy than Rob Burrow

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Why not simply called the Super League trophy the Rob Burrow trophy instead? He won it enough times to warrant that title - rather renaming an existing award.

What are we doing when we present the man of the match in the grand final as the Harry Sunderland award? Why do we still call that it? Isn't there an opportunity here to do something better, more apt and more fitting of the occasion? 

15 minutes ago, Tides Of History said:

What are we doing when we present the man of the match in the grand final as the Harry Sunderland award? Why do we still call that it? Isn't there an opportunity here to do something better, more apt and more fitting of the occasion? 

Why?

We still call it that as thats its name.

Lets go pull a few statues down while we are at it.

Brian bevan lets get his pulled down or just change the head to Lee briers as hes more modern haha

Any idea what his opinion is?

Burrow might not wish to have this honour placed on him. He might alternatively think this is a fine offer if it also supports his cause. A touching legacy.

It is a great idea, but I think some sensitivity wouldn't go a miss.

The Harry Sunderland Trophy was introduced in 1965 to be awarded to the Man of the Match at the Championship Final, then the Premiership Final and then the Super League Grand Final as these the major finals outside the Challenge Cup and as a RL award to go alongside the Lance Todd Trophy as a MoM prize in the season's top games

The trophy was presented to the Rugby League by the Rugby League Writers Association and was named after a RL Journalist and Australian Team manager.  If it is to be changed then the RLWBA should at least be consulted.

I understand it will be presented by Rob Burrow on Saturday.

And I doubt whether Harry Sunderland lived long enough to ever hear of Roy Powell, Mr. RigbyLuger.

49 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Why?

We still call it that as thats its name.

Lets go pull a few statues down while we are at it.

Brian bevan lets get his pulled down or just change the head to Lee briers as hes more modern haha

There's no history with Harry Sunderland and the Grand Final. What are you hoping to preserve?! 

8 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

My silly error, I meant Roy Francis of course! Prof. Tony Collins is doing a talk on that story.

I am attending, if anyone wants details they are here. Museum of Wigan Life Its free but limited numbers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What happens if next year some other deserving player goes down with something worse, do we dump RB and rename it again.

I find these calls, and they are becoming tedious, rather nauseating.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Not sure why we need to take away a name to add one.

Why not rename the Young Player of the Year award after Rob in the same way that the Man of Steel has been named after Steve Prescott.

It would be quite fitting as Burrow himself won the Young Player of the Year award in 2001.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

What happens if next year some other deserving player goes down with something worse, do we dump RB and rename it again.

I find these calls, and they are becoming tedious, rather nauseating.

I agree with the feeling, but in this case, we're talking about someone who is actually remembered as a player for a try in the Grand Final, not just tacking a name on for just sad reasons.

3 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

There's no history with Harry Sunderland and the Grand Final. What are you hoping to preserve?! 

Theres no history with burrow though, he didnt invent the GF just the,same argument to call it Sinfield trophy or Roby trophy.

Our main awards should be named after people who took the game forward.

For example the world cup in union is named the webb ellis trophy, he had nothing to do with the world cup

The soccer world cup named the jules remet after the bloke who was instrumental in their world cup etc...

24 minutes ago, yipyee said:

For example the world cup in union is named the webb ellis trophy, he had nothing to do with the world cup

As every Rugby League fans knows (should know) Webb Ellis did nothing at all of note, least of all "take the game forward" so your argument rather falls flat on its face with that one.

59 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Theres no history with burrow though, he didnt invent the GF just the,same argument to call it Sinfield trophy or Roby trophy.

The soccer world cup named the jules remet after the bloke who was instrumental in their world cup etc...

He did win 8 of them to be fair and probably scored the best ever GF try.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

As every Rugby League fans knows (should know) Webb Ellis did nothing at all of note, least of all "take the game forward" so your argument rather falls flat on its face with that one.

He is credited with inventing rugby weather you agree or not that he did, he is still credited with it.

For me the next trophy renamed or given a name should be after Tony Smith for his services to the European game. 

32 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm certainly in favour of Rob being honoured in some way like this. Is there something Leeds could do, like name a stand after him for example? 

Not a bad shout they must have a player of the year award they could name after him, did he ever win that at Leeds?

Archived