A decade on since he lit up Old Trafford - time for the Rob Burrow Trophy?

27 minutes ago, yipyee said:

He is credited with inventing rugby weather you agree or not that he did, he is still credited with it.

He did no such thing, and nobody with any credibility believes he did.

Webb Ellis was a creation myth specifically concocted at the time RL was established to astroturf the history of the sport of rugby as belonging to public schools and, in turn, the Rugby Football Union rather than the working man.

It's certainly not the sort of BS we should be repeating on this website.

14 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Any idea what his opinion is?

Burrow might not wish to have this honour placed on him. He might alternatively think this is a fine offer if it also supports his cause. A touching legacy.

It is a great idea, but I think some sensitivity wouldn't go a miss.

I agree, and given the way in which Rob has approached his diagnosis, I'm not entirely sure he'd want to be eulogized that way. 

I hesitated before posting this, but I'll start by saying I mean this as no slur on Rob Burrow in the slightest. I think in general (and before everyone pulls out the what abouts I don't agree with those either*) things named after people are best named after those people a good few years after they've died.

Those blue plaques on houses can only go up 20 years after death, or past the named person's hundredth birthday for a variety of what seem to me to be good reasons. Otherwise you end up shamefacedly pulling statues down (Jimmy Saville comes to mind) or having to rename things again. 

Again, that is absolutely not casting aspersions in the direction of the subject of this thread, I just think it should be a blanket practice.

*the worst, usually in football, are those who pay for a stadium and name it after themselves. 50 years ago they'd have at least had the class to name it after their mum or dad or something.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Besides, that Leeds team was all about teamwork so maybe it would better to attach Burrow’s name to the SL trophy itself? 

Are you serious ?

1 - The SL Trophy already has a sponsors name attached

2 - Its a team trophy not an individual award so why name it after an individual, unlike the MOM award which is for an individual performance in the GF, something Burrow will long be remembered for.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

I hesitated before posting this, but I'll start by saying I mean this as no slur on Rob Burrow in the slightest. I think in general (and before everyone pulls out the what abouts I don't agree with those either*) things named after people are best named after those people a good few years after they've died.

Those blue plaques on houses can only go up 20 years after death, or past the named person's hundredth birthday for a variety of what seem to me to be good reasons. Otherwise you end up shamefacedly pulling statues down (Jimmy Saville comes to mind) or having to rename things again. 

Again, that is absolutely not casting aspersions in the direction of the subject of this thread, I just think it should be a blanket practice.

*the worst, usually in football, are those who pay for a stadium and name it after themselves. 50 years ago they'd have at least had the class to name it after their mum or dad or something.

I agree with this. I wasn't comfortable with renaming the Man of Steel trophy and likewise I don't think we should rename the Harry Sunderland. The benefit of time gives us the ability to recognise how we should think about these things rather than being caught in the moment.

58 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Are you serious ?

1 - The SL Trophy already has a sponsors name attached

2 - Its a team trophy not an individual award so why name it after an individual, unlike the MOM award which is for an individual performance in the GF, something Burrow will long be remembered for.

Five years in a row, wasn't it? 😉

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Five years in a row, wasn't it? 😉

Thats one of the lamest attempts at baiting i've seen on here for a long time -and to be honest pretty pathetic  given this discussion is about whether an award should be renamed after a seriously ill former player who's name is synonymous with the GF and in particular the MOM award.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thats one of the lamest attempts at baiting i've seen on here for a long time -and to be honest pretty pathetic  given this discussion is about whether an award should be renamed after a seriously ill former player who's name is synonymous with the GF and in particular the MOM award.

Meh.

Are you sure Betfred's name is attached to the trophy or the competition? Not the same thing. 

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

He is credited with inventing rugby weather you agree or not that he did, he is still credited with it.

For me the next trophy renamed or given a name should be after Tony Smith for his services to the European game. 

Columbus is credited with discovering America, but he didn’t did he, there were people already there, and he wasn’t the first European, its Likely Leif Erickson was

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm certainly in favour of Rob being honoured in some way like this. Is there something Leeds could do, like name a stand after him for example? 

Leeds are planning a statue of Sinfield and Burrows, just mentioned in case not aware:

The statue, which would sit in the corner of the stadium looking down on the pitch, would feature Sinfield embracing Burrow at the end of the fundraising match played against Bradford Bulls in January 2020 just weeks after the latter had been diagnosed with motor neurone disease

15 hours ago, Padge said:

What happens if next year some other deserving player goes down with something worse, do we dump RB and rename it again.

I find these calls, and they are becoming tedious, rather nauseating.

This is the trouble for me. There will always be calls for trophies to be renamed to remember people and quite simply there aren't enough trophies or enough time to simply do it.

I've always thought that perhaps one way would be simply renaming all trophies every decade with the most fitting player or RL person from perhaps a couple of decades before. Still probably flawed but at least it would be set in stone and not a decision made on a whim and would cater for more even more greater achievements down the line (and I don't mean anything about Rob Burrow who I have the upmost respect for).

4 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Very fair comments. My thinking was that renaming it would be both a nod to Burrow and an opportunity to make the award even more special. It's not as if it's not relevant to the award - he's the only person to have won it by a unanimous vote. Seems like a good opportunity - after almost 25 years of grand finals - to give the trophy it's own history. It might even mean more to the winner if it's attached to a historic moment. Good discussion though -good to gear a range of opinion! 

18 hours ago, Padge said:

What happens if next year some other deserving player goes down with something worse, do we dump RB and rename it again.

I find these calls, and they are becoming tedious, rather nauseating.

Yes that crossed my mind too 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

7 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I agree with the feeling, but in this case, we're talking about someone who is actually remembered as a player for a try in the Grand Final, not just tacking a name on for just sad reasons.

I remember a lot of great tries from grand finals. Do the try scorers take it in turns.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Damien said:

This is the trouble for me. There will always be calls for trophies to be renamed to remember people and quite simply there aren't enough trophies or enough time to simply do it.

I've always thought that perhaps one way would be simply renaming all trophies every decade with the most fitting player or RL person from perhaps a couple of decades before. Still probably flawed but at least it would be set in stone and not a decision made on a whim and would cater for more even more greater achievements down the line (and I don't mean anything about Rob Burrow who I have the upmost respect for).

The daft thing is the Super League Awards have just been, with loads unnamed, and the only one named after someone is for a player who wasn't near the best in his era.

19 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The daft thing is the Super League Awards have just been, with loads unnamed, and the only one named after someone is for a player who wasn't near the best in his era.

That was a mistake IMO. Steve Prescott could have been named on a newly established trophy (e.g. toughest and fairest). Man of Steel is the pinnacle.

20 hours ago, M j M said:

He did no such thing, and nobody with any credibility believes he did.

Webb Ellis was a creation myth specifically concocted at the time RL was established to astroturf the history of the sport of rugby as belonging to public schools and, in turn, the Rugby Football Union rather than the working man.

It's certainly not the sort of BS we should be repeating on this website.

Well we would be doing the same to burrow if his name goes on a trophy

On 07/10/2021 at 11:17, Live after death said:

Columbus is credited with discovering America, but he didn’t did he, there were people already there, and he wasn’t the first European, its Likely Leif Erickson was

Discovered and got back though same as Everest etc...

Anyway the point stands about webb ellis we are now centuries later talking about him.

Another myth is fleming and penicilin

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Discovered and got back though same as Everest etc...

Anyway the point stands about webb ellis we are now centuries later talking about him.

Another myth is fleming and penicilin

None of those myths were specifically created with the aim of undermining Rugby League though, which is why on here at least the Webb-Ellis one needs destroying every time it's raised.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

None of those myths were specifically created with the aim of undermining Rugby League though, which is why on here at least the Webb-Ellis one needs destroying every time it's raised.

Ha the world has moved on and now its the enemy within undermining RL by blocking expansion at every turn

Archived