IT'S a done deal'

tms

The Championship are dipping their toe into the water with this.Not much in terms of money in it for the teams but it shouldn't cost us anything either.It is a chance to showcase our game and the entertainment value of it.Advertising and subscriptions will enable other TV companys to consider showing our game in the future.Would think no more than 3 or 4 home games would be shown on a monday evening with some clubs only having a couple shown.So lets see how it goes.

It also improves the opportunities to promote clubs to their sponsors. Some people are already criticising the deal (yes, really, in RL!) for not providing an instant income stream but I think tis provides the chance to prove what many have said about the attractiveness of the Championship.

Will it work - who knows?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The Championship are dipping their toe into the water with this.Not much in terms of money in it for the teams but it shouldn't cost us anything either.It is a chance to showcase our game and the entertainment value of it.Advertising and subscriptions will enable other TV companys to consider showing our game in the future.Would think no more than 3 or 4 home games would be shown on a monday evening with some clubs only having a couple shown.So lets see how it goes.

There is to be a limit on the number of home games shown, but from what I can see no limit on away games. Therefore even if the number of home games was limited to 2 (out of 13) I'd still not be surprised for the likes of Fev & Leigh to be picked for 6 or 7 Monday night games.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

I'm hoping that some common sense prevails and that for, say, the Cumbrian teams they show the local derbies (of which there will be plenty) to avoid long journeys for both them and their opponents and fans, and indeed that they try and avoid long-distance travel games when possible.

Obviously that's not going to be possible when they show London (but they will surely be poor next season so I wouldn't bother showing them much given the travelling distances involved and likely poor crowds on show) but, say, Leigh v Widnes and York v Newcastle makes more sense than Leigh v York and Widnes v Newcastle.

It does sound though as if they're just going to choose them on the basis of attractiveness of games.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm hoping that some common sense prevails and that for, say, the Cumbrian teams they show the local derbies (of which there will be plenty) to avoid long journeys for both them and their opponents and fans, and indeed that they try and avoid long-distance travel games when possible.

Obviously that's not going to be possible when they show London (but they will surely be poor next season so I wouldn't bother showing them much given the travelling distances involved and likely poor crowds on show) but, say, Leigh v Widnes and York v Newcastle makes more sense than Leigh v York and Widnes v Newcastle.

It does sound though as if they're just going to choose them on the basis of attractiveness of games.

Barrow to any other ground is bad news for evening games. It's an horrendous (although scenic) drive along the A595 to Whitehaven or Workington and even though shorter than say Leigh to York takes about as long. 

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It also improves the opportunities to promote clubs to their sponsors. Some people are already criticising the deal (yes, really, in RL!) for not providing an instant income stream but I think tis provides the chance to prove what many have said about the attractiveness of the Championship.

Will it work - who knows?

Surely nowt to lose it MIGHT even get some fans attending matches.

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Thinly-veiled "I once drove to the wrong Cumbrian ground" post imo 😀

Not personally but I remember the Fev Supporters' bus once continuing to head along the A66 after reaching the M6 for a game at Barrow before the driver turned round to head south down the motorway after much chuntering from the passengers.... 

11 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not personally but I remember the Fev Supporters' bus once continuing to head along the A66 after reaching the M6 for a game at Barrow before the driver turned round to head south down the motorway after much chuntering from the passengers.... 

When I was 17 I had a temporary job about 5 miles south west of Kendal. One Sunday Fev were playing Barrow so I made a home-made sign saying "Barrow - Rugby", walked 3 miles to the A590, and tried to hitch a lift.

After about 10 minutes a car pulled over and I hopped in. Turned out it was the parents of Barrow full back Steve Tickle. Lovely people, took me in the players lounge afterwards and dropped me back.

No happy postscript though as we lost 17-3. I went back the following year and we didn't score a point. Two games later we beat Hull at Wembley.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

When I was 17 I had a temporary job about 5 miles south west of Kendal. One Sunday Fev were playing Barrow so I made a home-made sign saying "Barrow - Rugby", walked 3 miles to the A590, and tried to hitch a lift.

After about 10 minutes a car pulled over and I hopped in. Turned out it was the parents of Barrow full back Steve Tickle. Lovely people, took me in the players lounge afterwards and dropped me back.

No happy postscript though as we lost 17-3. I went back the following year and we didn't score a point. Two games later we beat Hull at Wembley.

I grew up in Kendal but my dad is from ponte and had been a Rovers fan since the 50’s. My first live Rovers match was Barrow “away” in 83 (though it was just down the road for me :)) - we lost 5-0 in a relegation battle but as you say PHM 2 games later we went to Wembley and beat Hull - and I’ve been supporting the Rovers ever since

16 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I should have added that the much chuntering was triggered by the fact that a local (to the ground) hostelry used to put on a spread for visiting supporters and the long way round would have meant missing out on valuable imbibing time.

The Ambrose. Sausage and chips. Mmm❗😋

Apparently 

subsidised travel for away fans will be introduced in an attempt to incentivise supporters to make a trip on a midweek evening. Other plans in place include season ticket holders being able to bring a friend for free and enhanced community and schools engagement leading up to games will be encouraged.

5 hours ago, POR said:

Apparently 

subsidised travel for away fans will be introduced in an attempt to incentivise supporters to make a trip on a midweek evening. Other plans in place include season ticket holders being able to bring a friend for free and enhanced community and schools engagement leading up to games will be encouraged.

Sort of. The host club will receive a fee but are being "encouraged" to use that money to incentivise an improved attendance. The examples that you cite are some that "might" be considered dependent upon cost.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived