Wednesday night 34 years ago - 7 oct

an "official" crowd of 37,000 although its estimated nearer 50,000 turned out to watch a bad tempered match between Manly and Wigan - on an oct wed night, watching youtube footage the aussie commentators were obviously overawed by central park - its atmosphere and noise levels compared to anything down under- no tries but no shortage of "the biff" had the huge crowd in raptures, some great names in both line ups and a masterstroke of planning by uncle mo. no booking tickets online or using the services of promotional teams and companies , not even a mobile phone in the ground - the whole of wigan must have felt central park rocking or at least heard it that wednesday night - not sure what happened to the man of the match after that game though? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Despite only having one set of fans, the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a game. Simply electric.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Great stuff! - its amazing how the Aussies still can't generate a really good atmosphere at NRL games or even Origin.

I used to be a Roosters member and going to NRL games was great but the lack of real atmosphere really was the big downside - just not in their culture.

Thats why some of the Aussies love coming over here as they arnt use to it.

Always remember when Andrew Johns played a few games for wire and how nervous he was on his debut infront of a noisy sold out crowd- best player in the world struggled to cope as he wasn't used to it ( also I'm sure Briers played him off the park that night as well)

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

off topic in 4 posts - is that a record?

''I was there!''.

I was at Central Park that night on the old Spion kop and really couldn't move an inch it was that packed, incredible atmosphere before during and after the game. No way was there only the "official" crowd of 36895 on, which was just within the stadium capacity of 37000.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I was at Central Park that night on the old Spion kop and really couldn't move an inch it was that packed, incredible atmosphere before during and after the game. No way was there only the "official" crowd of 36895 on, which was just within the stadium capacity of 37000.

similar to the 82 cc replay at elland road- never heard anyone complain though

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

It was so full I'm sure I remember people standing on the road outside looking through the gaps between the stands in one corner

nowadays  wigan fans(all 30 of them) stand in the corner of the souless stadium   looking out at the road through the gaps  looking for a taxi 

12 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

would imagine been a youngster at a match like that in those days would set you up for life as a fan of the game - tattooing and etching the very fabric of it all in to your skin and blood 

I was there. Drove up from Redditch, that hotbed of Rugby League in the Midlands and  could not believe the atmosphere and  crowd size, (and I used to go on the Kop at Anfield a few years earlier in student days.)

Something about that game really captured the imagination, lots of great memories before then with the Dons and Trinity, and since then with Catalans and Cov Bears, but that game is in a league of it's own.

Thanks GJ for reminding me of such awe and wonder, but not for reminding me it was 37 years ago!!

27 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

would imagine been a youngster at a match like that in those days would set you up for life as a fan of the game - tattooing and etching the very fabric of it all in to your skin and blood 

I knew within minutes of the kick off of my first match (1984 Lancashire Cup Final at Central Park) at 14 years old that Rugby League was my sport.

At 15 I went to Wembley for the Wigan FC final.

And then at 17 the Manly game.

And here I am now, at 51, knowing that I will be a League man for the rest of my life.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

My copy of the advertising poster (Clash of the Titans) for the Manly game, signed by some of the Manly team, will soon be on display in the Museum of Wigan Life during a Rugby League exhibition they will be running.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Still got the programme. Although there were obviously far more there than the official attendance, giving an official figure just below meant that the authorities wouldn't feel obliged to do something. Mind you, that did seem to give Brisbane an idea (think their motive might have been a bit different!).

One of those rare and magical moments in RL history  -  ' and gentlemen in England now -  a - bed shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here '

Blood and guts from a team of Englishmen including  an incredible 8  Wigan St Patrick's players (  sole ' foreigner ' Graeme  West as a substitute didn't get on ) but maybe it was those 50000 wearing the 18th man shirt who carried the night. Watch that video and listen to them...

Me and the missus were in the massive queues at the colin street entrances and Wigan simply threw open the gates at that end with the stewards taking the ticket monies from those with the right change by hand to ease the pressure.

After the game  was the biggest party Wigan Lane has ever seen since Cromwell's lot had a go at the Parish church in the Civil War. Pubs ran dry. Last bells were ignored even by the bar staff. The Bowling Green was still hard at it well after midnight.....

That video well worth another viewing. And the most satisfying part of it ? Listening to those whingeing Aussies in the after match interviews trying to work out what had just happened to them........

Archived