Wednesday night 34 years ago - 7 oct

3 hours ago, Damien said:

That happened even when it was half empty 😂

It was the only time I remember being unable to move on the kop.

Really felt for Paul Vautin when he got smashed into the Douglas side barrier during a brawl. Goodway headbutted him by way of an apology when things calmed down.

Remember the first half stopped by the hooter on 36 mins. Crowd disapproved and play continued for another minute or so.

Believe the idea for the game was originally dreamt up in the Board Head pub and the hope was that Paramatta would be the opponents.

IMG-20211007-WA0004.jpg

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I knew within minutes of the kick off of my first match (1984 Lancashire Cup Final at Central Park) at 14 years old that Rugby League was my sport.

At 15 I went to Wembley for the Wigan FC final.

And then at 17 the Manly game.

And here I am now, at 51, knowing that I will be a League man for the rest of my life.

how are the youngsters of today supposed to feel like we did back then -now everything is so sterilized ? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how are the youngsters of today supposed to feel like we did back then -now everything is so sterilized ? 

It was a hostile atmosphere to say the least in the 1984 Lancashire Cup Final. The miners strike was on and Wigan were getting flogged in the first half thanks to the great Mal Meninga.

Still think Gill's try in second half should have stood🤔

Ancient history now.

Different world back then Graveyard Johnny 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

It's different now but it doesn't mean that it's worse.  Yes, kids can't run on the pitch at the end of the game and yes 50,000 wouldn't be crammed into a (nominal) 37,000 capacity stadium which today wouldn't even be allowed to host games.

But today kids have access to things we never dreamed of... following their teams on Facebook and Twitter or their favourite players on Instagram.  Or actually watching more than just the second half of a game live on Grandstand every week - or attending summer rugby camps to learn the game at 5 or 6 which I didn't have.

Some parts are good today and some not so much - same as in the 80's.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

It was a hostile atmosphere to say the least in the 1984 Lancashire Cup Final. The miners strike was on and Wigan were getting flogged in the first half thanks to the great Mal Meninga.

Still think Gill's try in second half should have stood🤔

Ancient history now.

Different world back then Graveyard Johnny 

yep the players have nice biceps full of sh@@t tattoos but no character- the grounds are plastic sterile atmosphere killers 

We took a female friend from the pub to the game, she had never been to any sports event before. Crammed in on the Kop taking it in turns to breath she gasped "is it like this every week, its brilliant". That was about ten minutes before Kick-Off, when the game got going she couldn't believe it.

She was disappointed to find out it wasn't like that every week.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

41 minutes ago, Padge said:

We took a female friend from the pub to the game, she had never been to any sports event before. Crammed in on the Kop taking it in turns to breath she gasped "is it like this every week, its brilliant". That was about ten minutes before Kick-Off, when the game got going she couldn't believe it.

She was disappointed to find out it wasn't like that every week.

if you took that same female to a game now she would prob spend half the game looking at her smartfone in a plastic seat 5 seats away from any other living human and not too fussed about returning any time soon

Went there as a group of 6 or 7 from college in Preston. A couple of newbies as well as League fans

We go there about 2 hours before ko. Good job we did. We were at the front and didn't appreciate just how big the crowd was till we tried to get out.

What a night

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

if you took that same female to a game now she would prob spend half the game looking at her smartfone in a plastic seat 5 seats away from any other living human and not too fussed about returning any time soon

But the whole point of the post you quoted was that it wasn't like that every week.  You can't take the best night at Central Park for 3 decades and then complain any random game in 2021 wouldn't be as good... none of the games at Central Park for 30 years would have been as good.

The 3 games I posted earlier were the best 3 Wigan games I ever saw (for various reasons), but there are hundreds that I don't remember.  It doesn't mean they weren't enjoyable on the day for what they were.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 07/10/2021 at 17:34, graveyard johnny said:

the grounds are plastic sterile atmosphere killers 

Nah.

The atmosphere killers are the moaning old blokes wittering on about how it was better in their day.

Christ, they don't half put a dampener on things.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What a game it was, so many memories of it but my overriding one was stood on the club end terracing and having a perfect view of a tackle which Steve Hampson pulled off albeit time has confused me who the tackled player was, Manley were on the attack deep inside Wigans 25 and the Manley player hit a gap with the line at his mercy, Hampson running across field took of the ground and was horizontal in the air travelling what seemed yards as though he was flying, timing it to perfection he hit the Manley player virtually chest to chest stopping his momentum, I have witnessed many great tackles in all the years I have watched Rugby League but this one and especially on this occasion probably tops the lot.

On 07/10/2021 at 17:30, Dunbar said:

It's different now but it doesn't mean that it's worse.  Yes, kids can't run on the pitch at the end of the game and yes 50,000 wouldn't be crammed into a (nominal) 37,000 capacity stadium which today wouldn't even be allowed to host games.

But today kids have access to things we never dreamed of... following their teams on Facebook and Twitter or their favourite players on Instagram.  Or actually watching more than just the second half of a game live on Grandstand every week - or attending summer rugby camps to learn the game at 5 or 6 which I didn't have.

Some parts are good today and some not so much - same as in the 80's.

One thing that I am sorry does not happen these days, is the surprise we had when these 'foreigners' from the Southern Hemisphere toured here, in the main they were unknowns -if they had not toured previously - and especially being a tour I would go to Leigh, Wigan, Wire, Saints and even in one occasion to Oldham to watch both the Aussies and Kiwi's.

I watch all the NRL that is televised these days, and I probably know a lot of the players as well as our own domestic player's, but nothing for me will ever be better than watching and learning what these guys were all about when to me they were unknown, just names in the programme.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

One thing that I am sorry does not happen these days, is the surprise we had when these 'foreigners' from the Southern Hemisphere toured here, in the main they were unknowns -if they had not toured previously - and especially being a tour I would go to Leigh, Wigan, Wire, Saints and even in one occasion to Oldham to watch both the Aussies and Kiwi's.

I watch all the NRL that is televised these days, and I probably know a lot of the players as well as our own domestic player's, but nothing for me will ever be better than watching and learning what these guys were all about when to me they were unknown, just names in the programme.

Absolutely.  The benefit of having every game from every NRL round available is watching so much rugby... I am happy enough with that.

But there is that missing element as you say of seeing players come in on foreign tours and surprise us with their size and skills.  Even the names I knew I hadn't seen play that much.  Names like Lewis, Cleal, Miles, Kenny, Sterling.  I consumed all I could get my hands on but in many cases it was just magazine articles or snippets of action on Micron videos.

Due to this you would build an aura around them. And when you saw them in the flesh on a Kangaroo tour it was a real treat (and they rarely let you down).

As I say, there are some good and some bad today, as in previous decades, but if there is one thing I could wish back now I would be the full Kangaroo and Kiwi tours... and now Tonga, PNG, Fiji and Samoa as well.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You weren't an afficionado of the Micron video VHS tapes of the Sydney Premiership then? Used to love the rare occasions we got to see those tapes at kids RL events. I too remember going to see half a dozen of the Kangaroo or Kiwi tour matches - the only time I remember ever supporting Warrington in a game.

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

You weren't an afficionado of the Micron video VHS tapes of the Sydney Premiership then? Used to love the rare occasions we got to see those tapes at kids RL events. I too remember going to see half a dozen of the Kangaroo or Kiwi tour matches - the only time I remember ever supporting Warrington in a game.

Yes I did get the Micron videos John, but I am relating to before they were put in the local video rental shops in Leigh.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I did get the Micron videos John, but I am relating to before they were put in the local video rental shops in Leigh.

So pre 2018 then?

Archived