Big weekend

Seaton Lad

As a loyal Town fan I can’t wait for Sunday, but had I not been a fan I would’ve struggled to know about it ? 
There has been little coverage in the local papers? Is this due to Chris keeping his cards close to his chest, Town as a club not saying much or down to little interest from the local paper??

Gone are the days when there was something either about Town or our near neighbours nightly in the paper.

Plenty on twitter and Facebook about town pal , don't think Town could have done much more from there end ,it's the  News and Star that seems to be the problem for Town and Haven , the N/S just seem interested in what Carlisle do , that's my view anyways, I think town do a fantastic job putting things on their various sites. UTT 🔵⚪

Just now, Seaton Lad said:

Glad other supporters think that, but I also think they can only print what Town tells them.

Up the Town good luck for Sunday 

Gone are the days when there was a reporter who covered the local rugby scene. I think it’s Newsquest who own the T & S and news and star and since they were involved the level of reporting is fairly poor. Oh for the days of a John Walsh or Tony Harrison. Anything that is printed in those papers now is just taken from the town social media pages with I suspect little or no interaction with the club.

1 hour ago, Seaton Lad said:

Agreed, a Twitter or Instagram or Facebook account weren’t prerequisites to following your local team??

or am I a dinosaur???

Hi Seaton Lad, 

We definitely don't refuse interviews or anything of that nature. 

Probably more a reflection of the digital age, the speed that we can use our own social media platforms to get information out and the concentration of our efforts and volunteer time on these speedier methods. 

When we do post information on social media there are also clear data analytics that we look at to see that those posts have been effective or not. Those same analysis models are used by the RFL when they configure the make up of funding. 

Facebook, email databases, twitter & instagram are key pillars we are judged on. 

Graeme 

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Or for a George Nicholson or Martin Morgan.....,,

It is strangely quiet on here though at present...UTT

Martin Morgan the haven minister of propaganda, the Joseph Goebbels of the Wreck. We never got a look in when he was the N&S sports reporter.  Bloody nightmare he was. 😱

11 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Martin Morgan the haven minister of propaganda, the Joseph Goebbels of the Wreck. We never got a look in when he was the N&S sports reporter.  Bloody nightmare he was. 😱

George was the worst stirrer..........creating the name 'Donkey Park' for our beloved stadium.

22 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Yeh he was another bitter bloke. Was the the Morgan who was commentator for radio Cumbria any relation of Martin Morgan. 🤔

No I don't think Ron (commentator - and my school teacher back in the day)and Martin (good guy for a jameater ha, ha) were related at all.

Back in the 90’s I was the Bowls League Secretary and to create more interest I used to write columns for the T & S and Whitehaven News. At the WN editors request it had to be two different columns otherwise it didn’t get printed in full in his newspaper. We had a similar problem getting Town matters in the T - S and evening paper so I spoke to the editor and asked for more coverage. He told me that it was difficult as there wasn’t anyone in the office that followed rugby league and he offered me the task. I had enough work on with the bowls columns so I declined and fortunately coverage did improve with young lady doing the Town coverage. It seems like we are back to them days again. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

1 hour ago, Keith T said:

fortunately coverage did improve with young lady doing the Town coverage. It seems like we are back to them days again. 

Only going from memory KT but think our Town coverage improved when the young lady Helen Graham took it on? (Sister of townie John Graham ??).

Sort of sadly, as it were, I'm old enough to remember when the Whitehaven News included full match reports of Town matches, including the attendance......was excellent stuff. I've been to the Whitehaven Records Office and seen these reports on microfilm, lovely nostalgia.....UTT.

Sorry folks, but before Newsquest bought the T & S and the NW E Mail,  the Furness paper had a sports department of a Spots Editor and three reporters plus contacts providing reports from all the local sports scene, Today they don't have a single sports reporter and not even an office in Barrow.  Don't expect things to improve under this group.

Archived