Ben Flower links up with West Wales Raiders

Badly worded statement, but I suspect he has just joined as a "name" for now to help attract players and they will see what emerges over the off season in terms of the coaching team and his appetite to get involved with the club.

Best news from this announcement is that, despite the central funding cuts, it appears the Raiders aren't going away. That will disappoint some within the game but I'll be delighted if they keep going.

They don't seem to learn - even after the roaring success of Chase and Henson.

Flower seems reliable - signs on at Pontypool- then leaves before their campaign starts https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/mylocalnews/torfaen/pontypool/19608887.former-rugby-league-star-ben-flower-signs-pontypool-rfc/

Perhaps the decision should have been left to whoever is appointed as head coach.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Raiders love an awful press release, more questions than answers here.

Is the head coach search still ongoing?

Is Flower helping out as an assistant? 

What about Pontypool?

My thoughts too, it's not very clear what he will be doing. And if it isn't the head coach position what will the new head coach think about having him on board? 

On 09/10/2021 at 10:49, Angelic Cynic said:

Flower seems reliable - signs on at Pontypool- then leaves before their campaign starts https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/mylocalnews/torfaen/pontypool/19608887.former-rugby-league-star-ben-flower-signs-pontypool-rfc/

Perhaps the decision should have been left to whoever is appointed as head coach.

Where was it announced that he's already left Pontypool? That link shows he's signed for them.

On 09/10/2021 at 10:49, Angelic Cynic said:

I expect he’ll play part time for Pontypool and assist coaching West Wales Raiders part time when he’s not playing or training with them.

It’s a shame League One clubs like West Wales Raiders don’t have the funding to sign the likes of Flower as a player coach. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I expect he’ll play part time for Pontypool and assist coaching West Wales Raiders part time when he’s not playing or training with them.

It’s a shame League One clubs like West Wales Raiders don’t have the funding to sign the likes of Flower as a player coach. 

West Wales could easily afford him as a player coach. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he's had his head turned by a higher offer than he would get at Pontypool. They were paying an eye watering amount of money to Rangi Chase. Money is not an issue for West Wales, its getting players to relocate to play there. 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

West Wales could easily afford him as a player coach. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he's had his head turned by a higher offer than he would get at Pontypool. They were paying an eye watering amount of money to Rangi Chase. Money is not an issue for West Wales, its getting players to relocate to play there. 

Do you know they have in terms of a youth set up or women’s team, or do they put most of their money into the first team? 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:38, Eddie said:

Do you know they have in terms of a youth set up or women’s team, or do they put most of their money into the first team? 

WRL run varying junior leagues at U10s, U13s, U15s and U17s.

West Wales Raiders an additional layer above this that junior players feed into e.g Charley Bodman as a recent example.

The Raiders look after Gwaebdraeth Valley Raiders as they’re Llanelli based but they’re by far the worst run junior club in South Wales - it’s run the same way that WWR we’re run in the early days, last minute and very ad hoc.

Ill be honest whenever I see him… there’s a man involved at Raiders and also their partnered Uni and the Gwaendraeth club who is an utterly awful administrator. I’ve actually given him constructive criticism on social media recently regarding WWR’s awful website and social media graphics. For a club so awash with cash, they neglect their most accessible shop window. 

Archived