I'm currently in the process of getting a new bathroom out in. It's been going on for almost 2 weeks now.... It was delayed for a week to start with but they only told me the day after they were supposed to start so I'd stripped all the cabinets and what have you out the day before it was supposed to start.... Someone finally came the day after the revised date and I've had someone in for 3 days in a row but only for a few hours a day and they reckon it is still going to be a few more days until its done so over 2 weeks....

The workmen are rude, just walking into my house and going upstairs without even knocking. The quality of the work they have done so far has been fooking awful. I've already decided when they've finally finished I'm gonna redo the floor, I've never seen such bad cutting in round the edge and for some sodding reason the bloke doing it took the door off its hinges and put it back wrong so it now has a bit of movement in it when it's closed. 

Today I completely lost it with them and almost kicked the foreman's head in. I'd pointed out a couple of things to him and he simply didn't want to know and he went off to his car. I went into the bathroom and noticed the workmen had used a couple of my bath towels, that had been folded on a stool outside the bathroom, to clean up a leak and just tossed them in the bath. They had not even asked if they could use the towels, they just took them and discarded them. I have never known disrespect like it. I went out to the foreman's car and almost pulled the door off. He jumps out and starts shouting at me that I can't do that and he was on the phone and I'm screaming back at him in the middle of the street about respect and if his workmen aren't gonna respect me I'm not gonna respect him. Anyway, by the time I'm done with the complaints I'm gonna send to his company he is definitely losing his job and nothing would make me happier. 

I should clarify, I live in social housing and the company that partly owns the house and the whole street are replacing about a dozen bathrooms at the same time and the company contracted to do it are quite simply useless and obviously completely out of their depth doing a job this big but if they couldn't handle it they shouldn't have taken it on in the first place and don't get so defensive and argumentative when you get complaints. As far as I can tell other residents on the street have complained as well. 

It was just so disrespectful to use my property like they did without asking permission. In my mind it was basically the same as going and laying on one of the beds for a nap or trying on my clothes. I very rarely see red and just lose my head with someone so when it happens it is obvious I am very, very upset and everything that has been going on has been really messing with my mental health and as a result making other health conditions worse and when my missus saw the state of her towels she just broke down in tears which is what pushed me over the edge. 

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to blow off some steam. Anyone else got a story about rubbish workmen? 

6 hours ago, henage said:

Ask them to leave . 

Get in contact with your landlord , tell them how disappointed ! you are with the quality of work .

Make a stand .

If you don't you will never be happy in the bathroom .  

I basically said I don't want them in my house again then the missus reasoned with the foreman (why do women have to be so nice?) to get it done quicker. I don't believe anything he says but the foreman is saying he's basically gonna prioritise ours now. 

And I'm sending the longest bloody complaints email anyone's ever seen in their life. I forgot to mention as well that the foreman was making racial slurs about one of his own workmen and joking about a medical issue the missus has. He almost got his teeth knocked out when he did that. 

19 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I forgot to mention as well that the foreman was making racial slurs about one of his own workmen and joking about a medical issue the missus has. He almost got his teeth knocked out when he did that. 

Report that directly to the CEO of the company doing the work and cc in the CEO of your housing association *and* your local MP.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Social housing... so you are getting the work done for free? The lads are subbies or firm that coincides with association?

Unfortunately tennants rather than homeowners get a bad wrap.

The more you kick up a fuss in this situation the more grey hairs in afraid.

Tea and biscuits and patience

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

A few years ago I got a home mechanic to look at my daughters car which was in our garage.  The bloke arrived and I left him alone to do the work.

Not long afterwards I heard a loud thump followed by the clattering of spanners on the floor.  I laughed to myself as I assumed he had dropped his toolbox so I didn’t bother going to the garage to check if all was OK.  Anyway being a generous old sod I later went to see if he wanted a drink of anything.

I opened the door to the garage to see him furiously rubbing the garage wall with a large rag.  He told me that oil had splashed onto the wall.  I asked him what the hell had happened.  Embarrassingly he replied that the vehicle had slipped off the small hydraulic Jack - hence the noise - and that the opened oil container that he had sat on the side sill of the car had fallen off against the wall.  Before I could b0ll0ck him for not be able to use a hydraulic Jack he explained that the Jack was old and the four ‘lips’ on the Jack that stopped a car from sliding off had worn away and that his company would not supply him with a new Jack.  So I ended up commiserating him about him having to use dangerous equipment and it didn’t seem that the car was damaged.

Later I told the wife about what happened.  And guess who got the b0ll0cking then … the mechanic or me ….  It was me of course as my wife said ‘If he had been under the car he could have been killed and you’d have left him there for a couple of hours’.

3 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

A few years ago I got a home mechanic to look at my daughters car which was in our garage.  The bloke arrived and I left him alone to do the work.

Not long afterwards I heard a loud thump followed by the clattering of spanners on the floor.  I laughed to myself as I assumed he had dropped his toolbox so I didn’t bother going to the garage to check if all was OK.  Anyway being a generous old sod I later went to see if he wanted a drink of anything.

I opened the door to the garage to see him furiously rubbing the garage wall with a large rag.  He told me that oil had splashed onto the wall.  I asked him what the hell had happened.  Embarrassingly he replied that the vehicle had slipped off the small hydraulic Jack - hence the noise - and that the opened oil container that he had sat on the side sill of the car had fallen off against the wall.  Before I could b0ll0ck him for not be able to use a hydraulic Jack he explained that the Jack was old and the four ‘lips’ on the Jack that stopped a car from sliding off had worn away and that his company would not supply him with a new Jack.  So I ended up commiserating him about him having to use dangerous equipment and it didn’t seem that the car was damaged.

Later I told the wife about what happened.  And guess who got the b0ll0cking then … the mechanic or me ….  It was me of course as my wife said ‘If he had been under the car he could have been killed and you’d have left him there for a couple of hours’.

It wouldn't have mattered if you'd left him for a couple of hours if he'd been killed outright anyway... (couldn't find a shrugging emoji) 

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

…… and it would have saved me the inconvenience of calling for an Ambulance.  So everyone is a winner👍

Yes but you'd have been left with the oil stained wall, so not all win win

On 08/10/2021 at 20:35, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm currently in the process of getting a new bathroom out in. It's been going on for almost 2 weeks now.... It was delayed for a week to start with but they only told me the day after they were supposed to start so I'd stripped all the cabinets and what have you out the day before it was supposed to start.... Someone finally came the day after the revised date and I've had someone in for 3 days in a row but only for a few hours a day and they reckon it is still going to be a few more days until its done so over 2 weeks....

The workmen are rude, just walking into my house and going upstairs without even knocking. The quality of the work they have done so far has been fooking awful. I've already decided when they've finally finished I'm gonna redo the floor, I've never seen such bad cutting in round the edge and for some sodding reason the bloke doing it took the door off its hinges and put it back wrong so it now has a bit of movement in it when it's closed. 

Today I completely lost it with them and almost kicked the foreman's head in. I'd pointed out a couple of things to him and he simply didn't want to know and he went off to his car. I went into the bathroom and noticed the workmen had used a couple of my bath towels, that had been folded on a stool outside the bathroom, to clean up a leak and just tossed them in the bath. They had not even asked if they could use the towels, they just took them and discarded them. I have never known disrespect like it. I went out to the foreman's car and almost pulled the door off. He jumps out and starts shouting at me that I can't do that and he was on the phone and I'm screaming back at him in the middle of the street about respect and if his workmen aren't gonna respect me I'm not gonna respect him. Anyway, by the time I'm done with the complaints I'm gonna send to his company he is definitely losing his job and nothing would make me happier. 

I should clarify, I live in social housing and the company that partly owns the house and the whole street are replacing about a dozen bathrooms at the same time and the company contracted to do it are quite simply useless and obviously completely out of their depth doing a job this big but if they couldn't handle it they shouldn't have taken it on in the first place and don't get so defensive and argumentative when you get complaints. As far as I can tell other residents on the street have complained as well. 

It was just so disrespectful to use my property like they did without asking permission. In my mind it was basically the same as going and laying on one of the beds for a nap or trying on my clothes. I very rarely see red and just lose my head with someone so when it happens it is obvious I am very, very upset and everything that has been going on has been really messing with my mental health and as a result making other health conditions worse and when my missus saw the state of her towels she just broke down in tears which is what pushed me over the edge. 

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to blow off some steam. Anyone else got a story about rubbish workmen? 

What colour tiles are you going for? 

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What colour tiles are you going for? 

Well we originally picked white with a sort of marble effect but then they told us that tile had been discontinued so we had to pick a different one and we went for what they reckon is dark grey but I swear looks more beige. The floor is supposed to be dark grey but it is definitely more like air force blue. Absolute disaster. 

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well we originally picked white with a sort of marble effect but then they told us that tile had been discontinued so we had to pick a different one and we went for what they reckon is dark grey but I swear looks more beige. The floor is supposed to be dark grey but it is definitely more like air force blue. Absolute disaster. 

We had same thing. I ordered grey marled tiles and they look more beige. Grey overall in our bathroom though which I think works well. I remember my mum and dad had a brown bathroom suite! 

2 minutes ago, DaveButt said:

Can someone tell me please what as all this got to do with Rugby League?

This  is the "Any Other Business" forum and has a sub heading that says 

The place to talk about anything other than Rugby League, 
whatever else occupies your thoughts. 

so if it had anything to do with Rugby League it would be in the wrong place.

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We had same thing. I ordered grey marled tiles and they look more beige. Grey overall in our bathroom though which I think works well. I remember my mum and dad had a brown bathroom suite! 

Yeah our old bathroom was overall grey, new one was supposed to be, I'll have to just see what it looks like when I've got all the accents and accessories back in cos I went out and bought all new towel rails and cabinets, toothbrush and soap holders and what have you. I suppose once all that stuffs in and all the towels are back in and mats on the floor it will cover up a lot of the shoddy work! 

On 09/10/2021 at 07:40, 9' oller said:

Social housing... so you are getting the work done for free? The lads are subbies or firm that coincides with association?

Unfortunately tennants rather than homeowners get a bad wrap.

The more you kick up a fuss in this situation the more grey hairs in afraid.

Tea and biscuits and patience

My nephew stripped out the old and installed the new in about 5 hours, the problem I see is the contracting firm has taken on more work than it can handle and is spreading it's workforce doing a little here and a little there to try and pacify.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So wait til he's cleaned up the oil spill and then drop the car on him. 

...wait, we weren't actually murdering him were we? Just not saving him when he is dying... 🤔

As long as the oil's gone.....

On 10/10/2021 at 08:24, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The tilers have arrived today and the tiles they have brought aren't the horrible beige ones we picked, they are dark grey with a marble effect, closer to what we originally picked, not exactly the same but closer. Shouting and complaining seems to work! 👍

Errrrr …… I am not sure if you understood my post or if you just made a witty comment.

My response to Dave - who was questioning the link between this thread and RL - was to show a link between the incident with my daughters car and the car having a RL sticker in the back window I.e. the thread has a link to RL.

But if you understood my response to Dave then I appreciate your comment about workmanship, or possibly lack of it, with the placement of the sticker. 😄

Archived