Return of the Capital Challenge - Skolars v Broncos - 14th January 2022

On Friday the 14th of January 2022, London Skolars return to the HAC to face the London Broncos, for the 2022 Capital Challenge Trophy.

Now in its 17th year, the 2022 Capital Challenge will once again take place at the unique Honourable Artillery Company, which is based in the City of London. This game has become a permanent fixture on London’s sporting calendar and the traditional opening event of the rugby league year. The Capital Challenge has progressively grown in popularity and is seen as a superb day out for all those interested in Rugby League and the spread of the games appeal.

Rugby League is not played on a more iconic or valuable sporting venue than the Honourable Artillery Company. The HAC is a 5-minute walk from Moorgate and the heart of London’s financial district. The crowd is limited by continual military usage and, as a result, the game is usually a sell out. Invariably up to 300 hospitality guests sit down for a terrific pre-match meal with rugby legends as guests of honour.

Both clubs are committed to the development of Rugby League in the nation's capital. The majority of ticket sales go towards the development of young players in London and the south east. We have no doubt that both teams will put on a wonderful spectacle for you to enjoy.

Please feel free to join us for post match drinks in a venue tbc.

HOSPITALITY - DOORS OPEN FROM 12:00

MATCH TICKETS: DOORS OPEN FROM 13:15

KICK OFF: 14.15.

For corporate hospitality, sponsorship and non-match ticket enquiries, please contact:

E-mail: charliedehaan@skolarsrl.com

Tel: 0208 888 8488.

Hospitality includes a three-course meal with wine, a silent auction and Q & A with the guest speaker(s).

Please note: There are no concessionary tickets available for this match.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I wonder why Wigan Warriors are not involved.

I hope they can afford to travel in 2022.

Maybe they are saving up to afford all the rainbow colours to protest at St James Park at Magic Weekend.They did make noise about Israel Folau - I am sure they will repeat it where wealthy Saudi Arabians are involved.

I wonder if Skolars will have a new head coach by then?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

39 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The clubs been a bit overwhelmed by the number of applicants so they will. 

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I hope they can afford to travel in 2022.

Maybe they are saving up to afford all the rainbow colours to protest at St James Park at Magic Weekend.They did make noise about Israel Folau - I am sure they will repeat it where wealthy Saudi Arabians are involved.

Was told because of the earlier start to 2022 season due to RLWC it didn't fit in with their schedule but that info was 3 months ago . . . . 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Trying to gauge if that is for real or not.... 

Apparently. Had an email from the club yesterday saying so which also acknowledged the return of Capital Challenge. There are worse teams to be coaches of given the set up and potential - although obviously we are now fishing in the same pool of part time players as Broncos. 

Good to see the two clubs still have a working relationship, I'd figured they were heading for falling out, what with all the changes. Hope they can find a way for them both to have a niche.

I snuck into the HAC to watch the match a couple of times when I worked on Bunhill Row, it was surprisingly unguarded for a military site! A good afternoon out topped off with a couple of pints in the Artillery Arms after.       

5 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Apparently. Had an email from the club yesterday saying so which also acknowledged the return of Capital Challenge. There are worse teams to be coaches of given the set up and potential - although obviously we are now fishing in the same pool of part time players as Broncos. 

Interesting to see how it pans out. I'll be there for the challenge game that's for sure 

5 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I guess we'll also see this if Skolars were over or under achieving under Coleman 

Might be difficult to judge this as now Broncos are part time they may be more reliant on drawing from the same pool of players. If Skolars lose a few of their better/key players (to Broncos or Coventry) it could have a dramatic effect on their squad which seemed to lack depth once out of the main/regular 17.

8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Really disappointing to see Wigan are not supporting the HAC event this year. I have been a regular for a number of years & they pretty much bring their academy team with a couple of 1st team fringe players, so I don’t see the word cup schedule as being the reason 🤷‍♂️ I just hope it’s not a example of the game actively making a choice to retreat/contract back to the heartlands in a bid to keep more money.

Fingers crossed the regular high end city companies & sponsors will still be involved as the event normally brings in significant financial support for Skolars.

On 08/10/2021 at 21:23, ATLANTISMAN said:

Maybe a chance now for a Skolars win:)

Skolars did win 26-22 at the HAC against Wigan in 2017.

Skolars beat London Broncos 32-30 in  the ‘London Bash’ at New River in 2018.

(The Wigan/Broncos teams were mainly academy & fringe 1st team players.)

7 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Wayne Bennett? 

Archived