Squad for 2022

Bedford Roughyed

Don’t get me wrong I love young local talent coming through, and would love them to hit the ground running, but aren’t we treading the same path as we did last season with other teams reserve team players who quickly find its  a different game in the real RFL world, l can see them being overawed and injured in this environment. I’d love to be wrong, but history tells me that’s the reality. 

I agree, we need another couple of older heads. I can see why there appears to be a wholesale clear out, last year's squad just didn't cut the mustard. New young blood can't be any worse. But they need on field guidance. Ridyard is one but we need two more players who've been round the block.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

Wellington is another very exciting inexperienced player. He's really tall, quick and skillful but bad luck with injuries means he's played very little rugby so far.

I'm not too fussed about experience for this coming season. Think this is all about getting ourselves set up to be a sustainable championship club based around young Oldham lads. Looking at some of the players Swinton, Keighley and Doncaster are going to sign automatic promotion looks very difficult for us next year.

We've got the right coach to build our team around long term and hopefully we can sort out behind the scenes over this next year and next time we do go up we'll stay there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m brooksy said:

Wellington is another very exciting inexperienced player. He's really tall, quick and skillful but bad luck with injuries means he's played very little rugby so far.

I'm not too fussed about experience for this coming season. Think this is all about getting ourselves set up to be a sustainable championship club based around young Oldham lads. Looking at some of the players Swinton, Keighley and Doncaster are going to sign automatic promotion looks very difficult for us next year.

We've got the right coach to build our team around long term and hopefully we can sort out behind the scenes over this next year and next time we do go up we'll stay there.

trouble is brooksy with what is going to happen with the new structuring. oldham among a few other clubs have not got much of a future.the 2022 season it will see the end of a few clubs. those finishing near the bottom of champ.1 will be culled,oldham have no ground of their own/no money/and very few supporters left. 

• Sad 1

Fullback - Brierley

Wing - Holcroft

Centre -  Hartley, Cooke, Wellington

Utility Back - 

Half back - Hewitt, Ridyard

Prop - Nelmes, Coventry, Mills

Hooker - Jinks

Second Row - Cameron, Grierson

Loose Forward - 

Squad = 13

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 28/10/2021 at 19:59, spw1 said:

Don’t get me wrong I love young local talent coming through, and would love them to hit the ground running, but aren’t we treading the same path as we did last season with other teams reserve team players who quickly find its  a different game in the real RFL world, l can see them being overawed and injured in this environment. I’d love to be wrong, but history tells me that’s the reality. 

500% right spw1 we keep signing these injury prone  players, we should open a a&e ward and start taking private patients in it could earn funds for the club .

its just getting worse start of signing 4 descent players then back to normal signing players who are not champ. 1 standard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tandle said:

500% right spw1 we keep signing these injury prone  players, we should open a a&e ward and start taking private patients in it could earn funds for the club .

its just getting worse start of signing 4 descent players then back to normal signing players who are not champ. 1 standard

Just out of interest

Who in your expert opinion are the decent players  and who are not up to standard? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tandle said:

A few short weeks ago there were some doubts as to whether Roughyeds would still be around to play in 2022. So now that a team is being assembled surely a bit of optimism wouldn't go amiss rather than all this negativity before the season has even started, Can't you just wait until there's a full squad and they've been given the chance to show what they can or can't do on the pitch before you write them off?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tandle said:

brierley/ridyard/nelmes /coventry/ the rest are not good enough and that includes hewitt. 

So you have seen young lads play have you?

The extent of your rugby league knowledge astounds me.

You ever though of becoming a coach? 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, herbie said:

So you have seen young lads play have you?

The extent of your rugby league knowledge astounds me.

You ever though of becoming a coach? 

started watching rugby league in 1949 played amatuer for several years before joining the merchant marine.

when did you start watching  rugby league herbie, and who did you play for.

you dont play academy players against battle hardened pros which champ.1 is full of.

ask moorside why there are different weights in boxing

3 minutes ago, tandle said:

started watching rugby league in 1949 played amatuer for several years before joining the merchant marine.

when did you start watching  rugby league herbie, and who did you play for.

you dont play academy players against battle hardened pros which champ.1 is full of.

ask moorside why there are different weights in boxing

I wonder how in the world these battle hardened pros became battle hardened pros? 

• Like 1

they learnt the hard way herbie but the teams they played for only played one or two in each match not seven or eight which is what oldham are doing. just look what happened last season with young players  we got thrashed.

any way you have not answered my question how long have you been watching oldham and who have you played for please answer.

20 minutes ago, herbie said:

I wonder how in the world these battle hardened pros became battle hardened pros? 

• Like 1

Calm down boys. Everyone's got their views on most things. Wouldn't it be easier for the two of you to agree to disagree. We all want our club to be bigger, better and more successful. We all have differing ideas on how this can be achieved. One thing is sure, it's going to be a steep climb up a very steep hill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

Calm down boys. Everyone's got their views on most things. Wouldn't it be easier for the two of you to agree to disagree. We all want our club to be bigger, better and more successful. We all have differing ideas on how this can be achieved. One thing is sure, it's going to be a steep climb up a very steep hill. 

i agree mr but to put a weak side out next season with what is going on with funding and not compete could prove fatal.

fact is there is not enough sky money to support 34 clubs. some of weak clubs will have to go thats how serious 2022 is. 

Can I just interject, I've previously said " if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". At last!!!!! We are doing something different! These young lads will give their all. I am 100% certain that we're going to sign some older heads. Especially in the forwards. 

Also, I'm excited at the gossip doing the rounds about where we will play. Not my chosen ground, but better than whitebank. 

• Like 4