Magic Weekend,should we have 2 in a season?

Just been reading a thread of where Magic Weekend’s should be taking place,should it be in Newcastle or elsewhere etc etc.

I wonder if we should have 2 in a season of course at 2 different venues,and to spread it around a bit so say one year we have one in say Manchester(Etihad)and one in say Coventry(Ricoh)

And say the next year one in Newcastle and then one in say London and see some rotation between the English cities so we can hopefully get people in non RL areas interested in the game?

Thoughts?

We were saying today, with the great atmosphere at the 2 womens finals today how a magic weekend for the women's games would possibly work, it would possibly and probably cut out some of the anti social behaviour we see now.

Headingley, Huddersfield, Warrington for example would be ideal venues.

If events like Magic do bring in the monies, then the question would be why not another, but would this dilute its charm and profitability.

Maybe organize it on a different theme or purpose.

Top of my head goes Rivals weekend based at two ground, something based in France, Women's weekend, Toronto style beer festival tournament, Glastonbury meets Rugby League event, Nines or even E sports.

I have always looked at the way the NRL market their events such as their Indigenous or heritage round and envied that clarity.

But the big but. Would it make money and would it enhance. 

if so why not. We need the cash. 

On 09/10/2021 at 19:45, Robthegasman said:

Just been reading a thread of where Magic Weekend’s should be taking place,should it be in Newcastle or elsewhere etc etc.

I wonder if we should have 2 in a season of course at 2 different venues,and to spread it around a bit so say one year we have one in say Manchester(Etihad)and one in say Coventry(Ricoh)

And say the next year one in Newcastle and then one in say London and see some rotation between the English cities so we can hopefully get people in non RL areas interested in the game?

Thoughts?

I'd love it in London full stop but not sure that will happen. Everyone seems loved up with Newcastle (too far from me to really consider over two days)

I’m not sure that there is the room for two magic weekends. Newcastle is now the established venue so that means waiting for the football season to finish and with the Cup Final and Grand Final that is 3 events in 4-5 months. That means the best time for another one is probably at the start of the season but then most people would probably choose one or the other.

On 09/10/2021 at 19:45, Robthegasman said:

Thoughts?

How about 22 league matches? Top of the table wins the RFL Premiership. Top 8 go into the Challenge Cup. Play the McIntyre System, CC Final at Wembley in front of possibly 80k plus on the last Saturday of September. 

Cymru Am Byth/New South Wales

To take the point seriously for a minute, I do think there is something in splitting Magic over two weekends and two venues. 

I don't think the 2 day element of Magic really works, one day always feels lacklustre (or maybe that's because I usually have a hangover), and I think having two events on a Saturday spread across the season could work nicely. 

On 11/10/2021 at 01:04, jim_57 said:

Now that Toulouse are in a French one day “magic” would be good.

4 games:

Elite 1 or Lord Derby Semi Finals

Toulouse V Wigan

Catalan V Leeds

Making sure 2 french wins with hand picked opposition ha,

A full round of SL fixtures in Paris would be good, all derbys, i would say Barca but Spanish rugby is well behind France.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Making sure 2 french wins with hand picked opposition ha,

A full round of SL fixtures in Paris would be good, all derbys, i would say Barca but Spanish rugby is well behind France.

And Paris is well behind just about everywhere when it comes to RL,if you take it to France at least go to somewhere you might actually get a crowd.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

And Paris is well behind just about everywhere when it comes to RL,if you take it to France at least go to somewhere you might actually get a crowd.

Toulouse FC’s 33k stadium for either the full thing or a French “mini-magic” like I mentioned in a previous post would be good.

Archived