A View on Catalans from Mr Angry of Featherstone

16 minutes ago, Niels said:

But then there would have been hardly any fans at the final.

It's dangerous to overestimate our appeal and we certainly haven't enough supporters to cut any loose. 

That’s why the game needs to attract new fans. It’s not impossible, it will take time and effort, and some investment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, what can be discussed on this new thread that hasn't been discussed on a thousand others already.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe if we play the GF at the a French ground there would be a different perspective?

Before the howls begin remember the response in Australia all those years ago to the suggestion that their GF might leave Sydney.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The first paragraph is an observation, his he wrong?

The second paragraph, he's half correct Catalan do not bring many fans to Britain, but there are obvious reasons for that not least being the expense, and if the BBC man he is quoting did say all neutrals will want Catalan to win, again I doubt that would be true, next maybe he does not know anybody who wants Catalan to win but I would doubt that also, but he does finish off with an open question.

Like I said, he could have posed his thoughts much better, than what appears to be a rant.

Is it solely Catalans job to sell the final?

What it boils down to is SL/RFL have failed. They don't have a Plan A let alone a Plan B. There is no grand scheme to grow the game or really even an outline. They're too scared to upset the traditionalists too and won't even come up with/enforce minimum standards for entrance to Super League.

Anyone talking Ill of Featherstone or Leigh need to recalibrate their aim at those running the game.

new rise.jpg

I think the real conversation is above the quotes from someone on Facebook because he shares a lot of what people in Featherstone think. When SL started if we had taken the top however many clubs were in the first season of SL (want to say 12 but not sure it’s a while ago) Featherstone would have been in it but were excluded for London and Paris to be included. This had a big effect on the club who ended up in the 3rd tier. They fought their way back to become the best club outside of SL for a number of years in the early 2010’s but were excluded because of licensing. 
Imagine if this was your club would you feel a sense of injustice and resentment towards expansion clubs? If you’re honest the answer is probably yes. 

There is also a big anti Fev bias on this forum personally I don’t care but sure it annoys some people.

Lastly to op does the person who you have posted their opinions on Facebook know you have done because if not you are bang out of order.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Oh dear.....just when I was beginning to wish them well too.

I hope Featheryobs lose as they bring naff all to the table and are just a pit village.

It's fun this game......

It hasn't been a pit village since the 80's. Yes it is fun.

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe if we play the GF at the a French ground there would be a different perspective?

Before the howls begin remember the response in Australia all those years ago to the suggestion that their GF might leave Sydney.

Bsj I can see this happening in the not too distant future.

6 minutes ago, wasginger said:

Nice reply. Tolerance of others opinions irrespective of the emotive language they use. Doesn't apply to yourself. Your reply says so much more about yourself.

Cool story bro. I'm not sure I care much for someone's opinion of me if they carry such backwards opinions as the ones expressed in the OP.

Bit odd to say we're not bringing enough fans to the GF when, on 8 days notice, we brought more at Manchester than the English have brought all sides combined this season at Perpignan.

Maybe it's time to stop believing we can pack a big stadium and head back to 40k ones that we would fill up no problem.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

"Flat Cappers" do you mean Fev fans?

I fancy they may just be cutting themselves loose rejoicing come 8 '0 Clock this evening.

If t` pits ed bin open ah bet t` pit botta `ood be empty tomorra at 6am.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Please, please this is not a slight on Fev fans.  Below is a couple of posts on Facebook from an old work colleague after the GF. He has never liked expansion and hates SL because Fev missed out in 1996.

What do people think?

0388FED9-3D4A-483A-ADA7-1FED2F08FED2.jpeg

Name names Ian. Do I know him? 🤣

15 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Name names Ian. Do I know him? 🤣

Yep you sure do.  Your namesake.  I remember one time I switched a few keys on his computer keyboard around so he was unable to log in one morning.  After he traipsed off to find you or the other Dave I switched the keys back so you or Dave could log on without a problem.  Then later when he went to the toilet and logged out I swapped them again.  He again could not log on so he went ballistic saying you lot in the Computer section didn’t know what you were doing.  So he went to find you and again I swapped the keys back.  Me and Andy G were <<oops I tried to get around the swear filter and failed>>ing ourselves as you kept saying to him ‘everything is working’.  I just wanted you to say those immortal words ‘Have you switched it on and off!’

All the best to Fev today.

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

I think the real conversation is above the quotes from someone on Facebook because he shares a lot of what people in Featherstone think. When SL started if we had taken the top however many clubs were in the first season of SL (want to say 12 but not sure it’s a while ago) Featherstone would have been in it but were excluded for London and Paris to be included. This had a big effect on the club who ended up in the 3rd tier. They fought their way back to become the best club outside of SL for a number of years in the early 2010’s but were excluded because of licensing. 
Imagine if this was your club would you feel a sense of injustice and resentment towards expansion clubs? If you’re honest the answer is probably yes. 

There is also a big anti Fev bias on this forum personally I don’t care but sure it annoys some people.

Lastly to op does the person who you have posted their opinions on Facebook know you have done because if not you are bang out of order.

Last sentence.  No he does not know I put his comments on here.  Just as thousands of other links to comments have been put on here without informing the originator.  Or should we now have to inform the originator before we upload or add links to our posts?  The comments were made publicly on Facebook so all I have done is shared them.

What you will not know is the originator and I worked side by side for many many years and we are good friends.  We would play pranks on each other whenever possible but we were professional in our work when needed.  Every Monday morning we would argue about RL and the argument would be more expletive ridden than what I posted on here but it was all in good spirit and forgotten about once the argument ended … usually around Friday lunchtime.

If this topic reaches 10 pages I will let him know.  I am sure he will find a way to get his own back even if we are separated by 12,000 miles.

Anyway good night and all the best for the game.

13 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Last sentence.  No he does not know I put his comments on here.  Just as thousands of other links to comments have been put on here without informing the originator.  Or should we now have to inform the originator before we upload or add links to our posts?  The comments were made publicly on Facebook so all I have done is shared them.

What you will not know is the originator and I worked side by side for many many years and we are good friends.  We would play pranks on each other whenever possible but we were professional in our work when needed.  Every Monday morning we would argue about RL and the argument would be more expletive ridden than what I posted on here but it was all in good spirit and forgotten about once the argument ended … usually around Friday lunchtime.

If this topic reaches 10 pages I will let him know.  I am sure he will find a way to get his own back even if we are separated by 12,000 miles.

Anyway good night and all the best for the game.

Fair enough 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Ok then, it’s not quite a pit village. 

Thought you were going to add an s there. Featherstone is no better or worse than many small towns across the UK.

It is also not Featherstone's fault the game has failed to grow and leave them behind. Take Toulouse out of the equation and really what is the difference between Fev and Salford, Leigh, Wakefield, Huddersfield etc.

They have all had a chance and a pot load of central distribution money over 20 years.

The bitterness comes out of frustration.

The game should have outgrown Fev years ago as with Newtown in Australia. It hasn't so good luck to them!

52 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yep you sure do.  Your namesake.  I remember one time I switched a few keys on his computer keyboard around so he was unable to log in one morning.  After he traipsed off to find you or the other Dave I switched the keys back so you or Dave could log on without a problem.  Then later when he went to the toilet and logged out I swapped them again.  He again could not log on so he went ballistic saying you lot in the Computer section didn’t know what you were doing.  So he went to find you and again I swapped the keys back.  Me and Andy G were <<oops I tried to get around the swear filter and failed>>ing ourselves as you kept saying to him ‘everything is working’.  I just wanted you to say those immortal words ‘Have you switched it on and off!’

All the best to Fev today.

Hahahaha

That's priceless. Had a feeling it might be him. 🤣

Regardless that Catalans didn’t bring many fans over yesterday or the reasons why, those that did come (at considerable expense rather than a half hour train journey for a tenner) were bang up for it and added to the occasion I thought. In fact I was surprised at how fanatical they were. 

Archived