Catalans Vs Toulouse. Is there a major final back up if the meet?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

We had 2 major finals this year

Saints v Catalans 45,000

Saints v Cas 40,000

Absolute disingenuous bobbins. 

We shouldn't be embarrassed that overseas teams equals smaller crowds. 

I can see why the question is being posed but just don't think its practical. It would be very last minute and I'm sure the likes of Old Trafford would still want to be paid for the booking and there will still be costs involved. That is before the tens of thousands of neutrals that attend finals regardless, it would be wrong just to tell these to do one at the last minute.

Just now, Damien said:

I can see why the question is being posed but just don't think its practical. It would be very last minute and I'm sure the likes of Old Trafford would still want to be paid for the booking and there will still be costs involved. That is before the tens of thousands of neutrals that attend finals regardless, it would be wrong just to tell these to do one at the last minute.

Yes, we do just need to crack on and accept the variances that this kind of thing brings. 

We can't plan for every eventuality, if we choose OT as the Grand Final venue, we go with that. 

The game last night had 20k fewer than par, but it was a fabulous occasion. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yes, we do just need to crack on and accept the variances that this kind of thing brings. 

We can't plan for every eventuality, if we choose OT as the Grand Final venue, we go with that. 

The game last night had 20k fewer than par, but it was a fabulous occasion. 

Toulouse in Super League has reignited my enthusiasm for SL next year. French teams add a lot, I don't think it's unfeasible that Catalans and Toulouse will be amongst the richest and best supported, and we need to just accept the rough with the smooth. The bigger picture is so much more positive than worrying about crowds for a final.

Well, I'm glad we waited a reasonable amount of time before exploring the negatives of Toulouse being in Super League. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Toulouse in Super League has reignited my enthusiasm for SL next year. French teams add a lot, I don't think it's unfeasible that Catalans and Toulouse will be amongst the richest and best supported, and we need to just accept the rough with the smooth. The bigger picture is so much more positive than worrying about crowds for a final.

Absolutely. 

I want more teams who can challenge the elite clique. If those have to be not from England then so be it.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. 

I want more teams who can challenge the elite clique. If those have to be not from England then so be it.

I completely agree. That is exactly why some of us where so excited by Toronto and why we have championed Toulouse. Just imagine what SL would look like next season if it wasn't for Covid causing the demise of Toronto. We could have potentially had 8 teams getting 5 figure crowds.

For a strong SL comp we need clubs with big attendances spending up to the salary cap and then some. Toulouse can do that. For whatever reason we struggle to get English clubs getting to that level.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think it would be better to think about a 2-week gap between the SF and GF. It just seems practical now for logistics and travel/tickets and you could maybe play the Championship GF in the week in between.

Probably a very sensible suggestion. Unfortunately unless the clubs can be persuaded not to cram so many rounds into the regular season, it will just mean one less week for internationals, assuming our antipodean friends finally run out of excuses not to play them.

32 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

I don't get why we try to fill enormous stadiums. Let's pick a 40k one and pack it to the gills.

Excepting 2020 which had no crowd, every single super league grand final has attracted a crowd of more than 40,000 and other than yesterday every one in the last 20 years has had an attendance over 60,000. The highest crowd for a super league era play-off final (over 77,000) was only 5 years ago.

Why would we limit crowds to 40,000?

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think it would be better to think about a 2-week gap between the SF and GF. It just seems practical now for logistics and travel/tickets and you could maybe play the Championship GF in the week in between.

It would be a bit of a momentum killer in my opinion. In theory it's good but in practice I don't think it works.

21 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Excepting 2020 which had no crowd, every single super league grand final has attracted a crowd of more than 40,000 and other than yesterday every one in the last 20 years has had an attendance over 60,000. The highest crowd for a super league era play-off final (over 77,000) was only 5 years ago.

Why would we limit crowds to 40,000?

Because more isn't best?

40k packed is better than 60 in 90k

Archived