Well done Toulouse! Great for the game.

4 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

Have the Super League confirmed that Toulouse will get an equal share of the TV money next year? Just hoping they don't impose a reduction on them like they did to Leigh this year. Wouldn't put anything past them. Can just imagine them saying we need to pay a parachute payment to the relegated club, so you don't get the full whack......

Paranoid ,I know but......

Would be a decent legal battle considering they were stood behind a plaque saying million pound game

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Do you know how many Toulouse fans were at the Bradford Bulls game last month where if they won would clinch top spot and a home tie in the semi final ? I will tell you, ZERO. Not one French supporter was in attendance. My brother-in-law attended the game and was amazed by this, although I wasn't. 

Whens the last time Bradford got 9200 for a game?

10 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Do you know how many Toulouse fans were at the Bradford Bulls game last month where if they won would clinch top spot and a home tie in the semi final ? I will tell you, ZERO. Not one French supporter was in attendance. My brother-in-law attended the game and was amazed by this, although I wasn't. 

and..?

27 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Firstly, chuffed to bits Toulouse are up. Going to be very exciting next season in that region.

I don't know of this has been covered in the past few days but does anyone know if Rugby League changed the requirement for teams to play at least 70% of their games to qualify for the Championship playoffs or were Toulouse exempt from this rule before the start of season?

I can't remember. Cheers.

I think they had to as the part time (full time as well) teams in the division didn’t/wouldn’t  travel out to them. 

33 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Firstly, chuffed to bits Toulouse are up. Going to be very exciting next season in that region.

I don't know of this has been covered in the past few days but does anyone know if Rugby League changed the requirement for teams to play at least 70% of their games to qualify for the Championship playoffs or were Toulouse exempt from this rule before the start of season?

I can't remember. Cheers.

From memory, if a team (it only really applied to Toulouse) didn't make the 70% as a result of cancellations due to quarantine requirements (rather than any other covid restriction), then there was an exemption.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I knew the feel good feeling wouldn’t last. Apparently most Super League clubs are opposed to Toulouse being promoted as it “makes no financial sense”. If you were to poll SL clubs with an anonymous vote it would be a resounding NO, says the unnamed source. 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/toulouse-olympique-super-league-concern-21827448

Assuming this isn’t just stirring it, (and I can well believe it is genuine) it shows the absolute lack of vision or anything resembling one.

Pathetic. 

Yeah, I saw that. You’d think Michael Carter would at least go on the record.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I knew the feel good feeling wouldn’t last. Apparently most Super League clubs are opposed to Toulouse being promoted as it “makes no financial sense”. If you were to poll SL clubs with an anonymous vote it would be a resounding NO, says the unnamed source. 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/toulouse-olympique-super-league-concern-21827448

Assuming this isn’t just stirring it, (and I can well believe it is genuine) it shows the absolute lack of vision or anything resembling one.

Pathetic. 

What is wrong with some people!

Between this, and people suggesting Featherstone shouldn't have gone up if they won because they would "add nothing to Super League", it makes me almost lose hope.

If a team wins the Championship grand final, promote them. It's what other sports do without question and it's not complicated!

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Pathetic. 

What they mean to say having two powerful clubs in France and we are ######

French clubs are now 1/6 of the directors of SLE (16.66%) - so who are the 100% of SL clubs that don't want them? If France land a decent TV deal in the next 2-3 years will they want any of that?

9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Pathetic. 

A few of the current super league clubs make "no financial sense" either. People in glass houses yet again.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

A few of the current super league clubs make "no financial sense" either. People in glass houses yet again.

Yep Catalans make 14+ trips over to the UK a year at £30k a pop yet still have the highest turnover of any club in SL. How does that work? They get the same distribution as everyone else and have had no away fans for 2 years. Figure out how they do it and maybe try it yourself?

24 minutes ago, clogdance said:

He was amazed that people from the beautiful and historic city of Toulouse, with all of its amazing architecture, art, culture, sunshine, fine wines and fabulous cuisine didn't want to visit Bradford?

This being for a game played during a global pandemic, not long after we'd deployed gunboats in the channel and about the same time we were supporting the Australians in secretly renaging on a multi-billion dollar deal with France just so we could smarmy up to the Americans and be their lap-dogs as usual.

I do hope he's feeling better soon.

28 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Pathetic. 

And they wonder why we got a reduced TV deal

I think you are being very kind calling them pathetic. They are a lot worse than that

48 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Pathetic. 

Well tough, because they are in. Somehow SL needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century or it'll dwindle away and die.

As for the source(s), if genuine, stop being so cowardly by giving anonymous incendiary statements like this to the media. Stand up and speak out publically.

Oh, and the SL GF being down £2mil is total garbage. 20000 fans would have had to pay £100 per ticket to generate that, even before you knock off the 20% VAT element too.

Just to balance the debate, can the OP quantify “great” in the thread title, what does it actually mean?

Im glad Toulouse have won I’m interested to see how they approach SL and maybe shake things up a bit, in the same way I wanted Toronto to the same.

On the flip side it’s not great when the Toulouse chairman releases a statement the day after winning promotion stating they aren’t going to spend the cap, that’s not going challenge the other teams and help with the new Sky deal is it?

45 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep Catalans make 14+ trips over to the UK a year at £30k a pop yet still have the highest turnover of any club in SL. How does that work? They get the same distribution as everyone else and have had no away fans for 2 years. Figure out how they do it and maybe try it yourself?

Exactly.

To be honest I think its because we have clubs who are 3rd/4th/5th or lower division football clubs in size and naturally have that outlook. The complaining clubs can be free to not play French teams when they are not in Super League and are instead at a more appropriate and fitting level.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

A bit disingenuous there , you know full well that sport in some European countries get serious support from local government 

Catalans main shirt sponsor is ' sud du France ' , and the local mayor , same for Toulouse 

Could you seriously see Wigan council tipping a couple of million into the Warriors , or indeed Leigh ?

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A bit disingenuous there , you know full well that sport in some European countries get serious support from local government 

Catalans main shirt sponsor is ' sud du France ' , and the local mayor , same for Toulouse 

Could you seriously see Wigan council tipping a couple of million into the Warriors , or indeed Leigh ?

Visit Wakefield?

Just now, clogdance said:

SELL 9200 tickets 

I went to Fev with my Dad as a kid in the late 1980s and nearly every week we got in with free tickets from the local brewery. What is your point here and what information have you discovered from your contacts in France?

Archived