Well done Toulouse! Great for the game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Link to back up your claim?

I seem to remember it was pretty easy to get a free ticket for Bulls games at the start of the Super League era

Did you watch the game ? Hardly any had replica shirts on, only cheered when there was a try or goal kick. Doesn't take a genius to work out there were loads of freebies handed out or tickets for a Euro. 2 years ago in the corresponding fixture (but in the semi final) the attendance was around 1800....so why the sudden massive increase in fans ? They and Catalans should be in the French league, end of discussion. Don't bother tagging me, coz I won't respond.

36 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Did you watch the game ? Hardly any had replica shirts on, only cheered when there was a try or goal kick. Doesn't take a genius to work out there were loads of freebies handed out or tickets for a Euro. 2 years ago in the corresponding fixture (but in the semi final) the attendance was around 1800....so why the sudden massive increase in fans ? They and Catalans should be in the French league, end of discussion. Don't bother tagging me, coz I won't respond.

Or they now share a stadium, operations and facilities with a Rugby Union club that has over 20,000 members and helped them jointly promote the fixture as a Grand Final? This has been in place since 2020.

Glad this is the final say!

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Or they now share a stadium, operations and facilities with a Rugby Union club that has over 20,000 members and helped them jointly promote the fixture as a Grand Final? This has been in place since 2020.

Glad this is the final say!

Do you live in France ? If not, you should do ! 🤪😂

28 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Do you live in France ? If not, you should do ! 🤪😂

No I grew up in Wakefield and played a lot of my junior rugby in Featherstone. Went and watched them all through my childhood too.

I just look at the bigger picture as I'd love the game to spread as far as possible.

4 hours ago, clogdance said:

Super league is on it's knees and needs new blood. With your outlook  and the way things are,  SL may cease to be in the not too distant future. Free tickets or not, how many clubs could get a gate like that when offering free tickets.

6 hours ago, clogdance said:

SELL 9200 tickets 

Didnt Bradford sell STs for 60 quid to try and get a 10k average attendance in their last couple of seasons in SL. Thats practically a give away and contributed to their financial collapse.

Also most SL clubs have offers to boost attendance like bring a mate for free offers etc.

The whole away fan thing is laughable anyway.

Torontos away games were the highest attendances of rhe home clubs during their 3 year existance 

Toulouse getting into SL is an (undeserved) chance for SL to reboot. We've now got two potentially serious French teams in the competition. Its time for the rest of SL to decide whether to go with that as a huge marketing positive, or complain that they won't bring enough fans to add to the few thousand home fans some teams get.

I don't even think there's a choice really - try to grow internationally (and hopefully one day get a decent London team back), or just keep drawing in the wagons until we're a semi pro sport. 

I've been hoping for the day Toulouse gets in SL for years. 

Thankfully it has happened, even though it should of happened last year at least.

I really find it amazing how we could be messing around with the idea of the likes of Leigh and potentially Featherstone in SL when we are fighting for our lives and trying to prove to sky we are an elite competition.

16 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

What is wrong with some people!

Between this, and people suggesting Featherstone shouldn't have gone up if they won because they would "add nothing to Super League", it makes me almost lose hope.

If a team wins the Championship grand final, promote them. It's what other sports do without question and it's not complicated!

Not that many sports have promotion and relegation. Mostly its just soccer. 

5 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Not that many sports have promotion and relegation. Mostly its just soccer. 

I wasn't trying to claim that all or even many sports have P&R, just that there are others which do and that those others just get on with it and promote the teams that (according to their rules and procedures) have earnt it on the field.

Our RL system has P&R - consequently we should just get on with applying the rules as set out and promote the Championship GF winners without whining. Some SL chairmen/executives (and fans) obviously consider Toulouse's promotion to be to their disadvantage. Likewise other clubs/fans would have considered Featherstone's promotion to be a negative.

Both groups knew the rules before the season started and had the chance to plan accordingly - I simply cringe at anyone in a leadership position making a statement to the press like the one quoted. Admittedly I don't follow Scottish football closely, but couldn't imagine the owners of, say, Motherwell FC making such comments about Queen of the South (or whoever) being promoted if it didn't accord with his business model for the coming season.

On 11/10/2021 at 08:48, Whippet13 said:

They are looking at playing the Catalans game at the Toulouse football ground as they dont think the RU stadium is big enough at (I think) 19000 capacity.

I think they're looking at playing at The Stadium where TFC soccer play (cap. 33,000) in 2023. The Dragons played at Ernest Wallon  in 2013 against Hull KR infront of 14,858. Give TO time to settle in.

Rugby union side Stade Toulousain played infront of 18,669 on Saturday at Ernest Wallon against Pau.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

21 hours ago, clogdance said:

you are partially right @clogdance. there WERE a lot of freebies given out. There WERE NOT a lot of French people in tacky polyester sportswear either.  

However the suggestion that they should "both be in the French league, end of discussion" is absolutely nonsensical.  

3 hours ago, Grand Est said:

you are partially right @clogdance. there WERE a lot of freebies given out. There WERE NOT a lot of French people in tacky polyester sportswear either.  

However the suggestion that they should "both be in the French league, end of discussion" is absolutely nonsensical.  

Fair enough, we are both entitled to our opinion, and I respect yours.

12 hours ago, Grand Est said:

It really is nonsensical,we have a team in Toulouse who had the strength & fortitude to survive nearly 2 yrs without a home game yet still assembled a squad of players who went unbeaten during that period and will with a few shrewd additions be very competitive in Superleague.

With their expanding fan base & sponsorship Toulouse could develop into a really strong team who hopefully shake up the teams who are merely happy & content with Superleague survival.

Archived