Robert Hicks proves Bernard Guasch right

I'm delighted that Toulouse won, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted and disgusted that Featherstone's first try was awarded and wasn't even sent for review by the video ref. 

Someone please explain to me how that wasn't an obstruction, it just baffles me when referees make those types of decisions. 

Part of me thinks what Bernard Guasch said about not taking part in a grand final unless the referees are Australian was over the top, but when you see mistakes like that it gives credence to what he's saying. 

Bernard Guasch and Toulouse chairman Sarrazin spend millions on RL and they have to witness decisions like that and the one yesterday, I would be furious too. That single decision not to go to the video ref turned the course of the game and could have cost Toulouse dearly, it's crazy 

So what’s your angle? You say the officials made mistakes but both examples emphasised ‘mistakes’ that went against the French based side. Were there any ‘mistakes’ that went for them? 
It seems you are not really referring to ‘mistakes’ because they will happen but even out over a season. If ‘mistakes’ are always going one way, then they are not ‘mistakes’. 
I have been doing a series on French RL and can assure you, comments like BG made about a future final sums up a destructive side of French RL. Rugby XIII has done far more to hurt itself with spats and internal wranglings than Rugby XV has managed and that’s saying something. 
Comments like yours can be used as fuel to stoke the fires of those in France who are convinced that English referees have an agenda against any side based in France. Do you want officiating to become an ongoing feud?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

27 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm delighted that Toulouse won, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted and disgusted that Featherstone's first try was awarded and wasn't even sent for review by the video ref. 

Someone please explain to me how that wasn't an obstruction, it just baffles me when referees make those types of decisions. 

Part of me thinks what Bernard Guasch said about not taking part in a grand final unless the referees are Australian was over the top, but when you see mistakes like that it gives credence to what he's saying. 

Bernard Guasch and Toulouse chairman Sarrazin spend millions on RL and they have to witness decisions like that and the one yesterday, I would be furious too. That single decision not to go to the video ref turned the course of the game and could have cost Toulouse dearly, it's crazy 

There was an obstruction on a Batley player last week at the start who would have scored but it was missed.

These mistakes happen all the time. We didn't complain or enter into any conspiracy theories. 

I do feel French sides get disadvantaged with the laws in Rugby union games in England. But that is because there are so many laws and different interpretations. 

Missing an obstruction is just an error, it happened to my team and yours. Spending millions doesnt entltle a team to immunity from refereeing mistakes. Every side has to cope with these.

I was wondering when/if Guasch's comments would make it on here. If they came from any other English owner this thread would be 12 pages deep right now, rightfully pointing out they are the ramblings of a sore loser. It's absolute madness anyone would even try to suggest there is any crumb of truth in claims.

To be fair there were question marks around Toulouse's first two tries. Had the on field decision been 'No Try' then I think the VR would've  confirmed it as such. There is no conspiracy against French sides, refs make mistakes, sometimes you benefit, sometimes you don't.

If I was Gausch I’d be livid about the neck tackle that cost them a try and it’s fair enough that he had a rant about it in the heat of the moment, he’s the person with most at stake here. I don’t think he genuinely believes that English refs are biased against French teams though, in fact other than Saints fans pretty much the entire English RL community wanted Catalans to win. 

https://www.lindependant.fr/2021/10/10/bernard-guasch-je-ne-jouerai-plus-jamais-une-finale-de-super-league-tant-que-nous-naurons-pas-trois-arbitres-australiens-9842548.php

He said : "I will never play a Super League final again until we have three Australian referees" .

Fisrt example what the Videa Ref James Child was doing when James Maloney was punched by Sione Mata’utia?

19 minutes ago, duracell said:

https://www.lindependant.fr/2021/10/10/bernard-guasch-je-ne-jouerai-plus-jamais-une-finale-de-super-league-tant-que-nous-naurons-pas-trois-arbitres-australiens-9842548.php

He said : "I will never play a Super League final again until we have three Australian referees" .

Fisrt example what the Videa Ref James Child was doing when James Maloney was punched by Sione Mata’utia?

You missed a bit at the beginning Duracel. What was James Childs doing when Maloney initiates the fracas when he hits Mata'utia in the throat with his forearm? Both probably should have gone to the sin bin. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Remember when McManus had a go at Hicks after a Challenge cup final and got attacked from every direction? Strangely quiet from the French mafia / Saints hating bunch on here today.

Question marks on Fev try … question marks on Toulouse try . They make decisions and that’s it . I’d gladly get rid of the VR and have officials make decisions for good or ill  anyway , it’s not the panacea it was made out to be 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Question marks on Fev try … question marks on Toulouse try . They make decisions and that’s it . I’d gladly get rid of the VR and have officials make decisions for good or ill  anyway , it’s not the panacea it was made out to be 

Nonsense, the Toulouse tries went to the video ref and looked to be tries from what I saw. The Featherstone try was a blatant obstruction, it's not just an argument about what was and wasn't a try, I would like to know why the Featherstone try never went to the video ref 

10 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Nonsense, the Toulouse tries went to the video ref and looked to be tries from what I saw. The Featherstone try was a blatant obstruction, it's not just an argument about what was and wasn't a try, I would like to know why the Featherstone try never went to the video ref 

Ah ok . I could easily retort that the nonsense is you going totally overboard on this . 

10 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Get used to it -  we have to at Leigh, and we are treated worse than Cats ie MPG 2017

11 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Don't be silly. You sound like the Fev facebook group. 

Last week Hicks awarded a try where the 'fax player's knock on was so obvious it could be seen from space. 

Mistakes happens

There's no conspiracy

I think the solution is to get at least 2-3 French referees into the system so there is a rotation of officiating. That means that English clubs sometimes get French refs and French clubs sometimes get French refs. Then it will become obvious who the best person for the job is when it comes to big occasions.

This is not new and I remember Trent Robinson providing statistics on referee decisions when he was coach at Catalans. English refs may not be biased but when there is no comparison it is an easy complaint to go to. 

Bernard is a fiery character at the best of times 😄 I can't say it is too different from International games, England and the Sutton brothers.

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Don't be silly. You sound like the Fev facebook group. 

Last week Hicks awarded a try where the 'fax player's knock on was so obvious it could be seen from space. 

Mistakes happens

There's no conspiracy

I'm not suggesting it is a conspiracy, I just think it's poor refereeing, I was just shocked that the try was awarded

Can't we just accept ref mistakes happen, but their mistakes are far less than those that commentators or fans suggest are mistake, that is the ref is right more often than fans.

Gosh at Old Trafford behind the post with the Catalan flags had people screaming off side at times... now how on earth can you see from high up behind the sticks one wonders.

Nowadays every game we have players raising arms constantly for decisions whether high shots or PTB issues, we have coaches moaning at end of games, we get owners bemoaning decisions... the game has descended into constantly moaning about refs.

Refs are human, so their will be errors and inconsistencies... the whole sport is weakened by the constant moaning... I just wish ref's would go on strike for a couple of weeks as its going to be the only way things will change.

31 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm not suggesting it is a conspiracy, I just think it's poor refereeing, I was just shocked that the try was awarded

The title of the thread suggests otherwise. This is just another in a long line of threads that show, much like the rest of the wider country/world, people care more about who said something rather than what they said. 

35 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Can't we just accept ref mistakes happen, but their mistakes are far less than those that commentators or fans suggest are mistake, that is the ref is right more often than fans.

Gosh at Old Trafford behind the post with the Catalan flags had people screaming off side at times... now how on earth can you see from high up behind the sticks one wonders.

Nowadays every game we have players raising arms constantly for decisions whether high shots or PTB issues, we have coaches moaning at end of games, we get owners bemoaning decisions... the game has descended into constantly moaning about refs.

Refs are human, so their will be errors and inconsistencies... the whole sport is weakened by the constant moaning... I just wish ref's would go on strike for a couple of weeks as its going to be the only way things will change.

Just on the players, it is getting bad it was very refreshing to watch the women’s GF they just seemed to get on with playing the game and not trying to ref it

40 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Fully agree. Completely.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I think the solution is to get at least 2-3 French referees into the system so there is a rotation of officiating. That means that English clubs sometimes get French refs and French clubs sometimes get French refs. Then it will become obvious who the best person for the job is when it comes to big occasions.

This is not new and I remember Trent Robinson providing statistics on referee decisions when he was coach at Catalans. English refs may not be biased but when there is no comparison it is an easy complaint to go to. 

Bernard is a fiery character at the best of times 😄 I can't say it is too different from International games, England and the Sutton brothers.

Correct now we have 2 French clubs in SL it's important that we also get a representative proprtion of match officials. As far as I am aware all Catalan home games are officiated by English refs and TJ's. Surely some of their best refs needed to be blooded as TJ's asap in order to help get them up to a good standard.  Seems ages since 'uncle Albert' was taking control of SL games

Archived